PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Dont forgot Hondata's $2800 fuel system upgrade + bolt ons

After that maybe you'll need to upgrade your wheel setup, rear motor mount, and maybe an anti lift kit to all help get as much power down to the ground. And you'll still not be able to put all the power down unless you're already at high speeds or have have drag tires, but now you're sacrificing handling.

So maybe you'll need two sets of tires, or cut down on power, but you've spent all this money and cant utilize the full potential of you're new parts.

You can see how crazy expensive this can get even for you US folks.

And this isn't some Type R bashing, it's taking a step back, looking at the costs and comparing at alternatives to see if its actually worth it. TO some it might be, and to some it's not, which is totally fine.
FK8 was never meant to put "all the power down", from launch. The point is to overtake things and have more "fun" in a usable range of power.
Sponsored

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
FK8 was never meant to put "all the power down", from launch. The point is to overtake things and have more "fun" in a usable range of power.
And you should already have two sets of tires for track/course vs. road. If you look at any of these forums or mod your car (s) in any way, you would already know that. Take a step back and look at the alt.'s. Can you fit a full set of track wheels/tires in most cars like this? No. Functional yet performs.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
And you should already have two sets of tires for track/course vs. road. If you look at any of these forums or mod your car (s) in any way, you would already know that. Take a step back and look at the alt.'s. Can you fit a full set of track wheels/tires in most cars like this? No. Functional yet performs.
The ability to fit a set of tires in a Type R doesnt justify it for me to dump ~$20,000 into it lol.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Fuel system was the question. I haven't seen anything PRL is doing that would back this minus the flex fuel kit. Question was, ots map to get home or fueling addressed with installation. (were either going to be available at launch) Yes, built engines are usually stronger but that wasn't my question.
You can just use a basemap to start? Or have one ready that's conservative. You can make the same power with less boost/fuel. Once going for more and more power, especially in the mid range, is where you'll really need to keep an eye on it.

For addressing fuel, do you mean PRL making a fueling solution (like a DIFP)? Not too sure what you're asking in regard to that. As much as I'd love them to, since they make reasonably priced competitive products, that's something I'm not too sure they would tackle.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Prl directly stated they used a pump gas base map to start the first run on their prototype which is perfectly safe. I wouldn’t suggest ethanol map cause the fuel system. I wouldn’t start with a custom map either. This ecu limits boost in 3 ways by pressure limit in the turbo max pa and temp then with hondata aircharge limit which is volume of air and calculated torque limit. Your not going to over do it on a pump gas base map unless you put a map that doesn’t belong to your mods. You have those three on a base map to keep it in check. Whichever limit the ecu sees first is what limits the turbo. Unless your trying to run ethanol stock fuel. That won’t work that requires a fresh full map but who’s going to run ethanol stock fuel when you’ll get more power pump.
mom seriously waiting in utter anxiousness for a PRICE. I’ve heard of issues with full kits.
Like I heard with the efr wastegate control is an issue directly from an owner who has it and second hand through other people the same thing. Not sure about rampage kit or ultimate racing but I don’t particularly care for a BOV and having to pay extra. We don’t need it.

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Prl directly stated they used a pump gas base map to start the first run on their prototype which is perfectly safe. I wouldn’t suggest ethanol map cause the fuel system. I wouldn’t start with a custom map either. This ecu limits boost in 3 ways by pressure limit in the turbo max pa and temp then with hondata aircharge limit which is volume of air and calculated torque limit. Your not going to over do it on a pump gas base map unless you put a map that doesn’t belong to your mods. You have those three on a base map to keep it in check. Whichever limit the ecu sees first is what limits the turbo. Unless your trying to run ethanol stock fuel. That won’t work that requires a fresh full map but who’s going to run ethanol stock fuel when you’ll get more power pump.
mom seriously waiting in utter anxiousness for a PRICE. I’ve heard of issues with full kits.
Like I heard with the efr wastegate control is an issue directly from an owner who has it and second hand through other people the same thing. Not sure about rampage kit or ultimate racing but I don’t particularly care for a BOV and having to pay extra. We don’t need it.

I'm about to install the rampage kit and have heard about the EFR wastegate issue. Do you know how this was resolved? Sorry if I'm trailing a bit off topic here.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Comparing wheel specs, this new turbo has pretty much the same exact wheel sizes as the Garrett 25 660. Hopefully you're able to under cut their price : P. Though this one has the big advantage of not requiring a whole kit to work. Though I've already got the "PRL kit" starting with hvi all the way to downpipe paying around $2.2k. Hopefully with the turbo it'll be under $4.5k in total. Still less than the competition.
It just sucks there isn't a fuel solution that would be able to fully maximize it's potential other than syvecs and motec with either 4Ps pump and injectors, or a port injection setup : (

@PRL Motorsports will you guys be offering these turbos with the option to be ceramic/heat coated? Hopefully you've gotten your turbines in and are close to throwing your car back on the Dyno

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Comparing wheel specs, this new turbo has pretty much the same exact wheel sizes as the Garrett 25 660. Hopefully you're able to under cut their price : P. Though this one has the big advantage of not requiring a whole kit to work. Though I've already got the "PRL kit" starting with hvi all the way to downpipe paying around $2.2k. Hopefully with the turbo it'll be under $4.5k in total. Still less than the competition.
It just sucks there isn't a fuel solution that would be able to fully maximize it's potential other than syvecs and motec with either 4Ps pump and injectors, or a port injection setup : (

@PRL Motorsports will you guys be offering these turbos with the option to be ceramic/heat coated? Hopefully you've gotten your turbines in and are close to throwing your car back on the Dyno

;) Sounds like you guys will be very happy with our projected pricing. We will be releasing this once our working prototype units are in hand and known to be 100%.

At this time we do not plan to offer any ceramic or heat coating options, but we can always ship to a preferred coater if arranged by the buyer.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
I'm about to install the rampage kit and have heard about the EFR wastegate issue. Do you know how this was resolved? Sorry if I'm trailing a bit off topic here.
As is my understanding no it has not been resolved and looks like even APR the people who tune VW AUDI PORSCHE knew the electronic actuator was as an issue cause the apr kit with the efr7163 uses pneumatic swapping out the electronic. The factory Honda actuator doesn’t have the power to hold the wastegate shut. I’ve heard of people adding custom pretension springs but that’s not a permanent solution cause after almost a year of trying to dial it in they said it still Pops open from time to time. APR is the only company I know that went through the trouble tuning a pneumatic wastegate actuator on a stock ecu. It can be done but definitely not with hondata or any current software on the stock ecu.
It’s a shame cause 5000 dollars for a turbo kit that doesn’t function correctly doesn’t sound fair. Truth be told I don’t think it’s Borg Warner at fault cause it wasn’t designed to be run on electronic actuator. So I kind of wish people stop saying the Efr turbo has a fault. Honda never designed the actuator to work on higher pressure and flow.

Candyblueta

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CTR, '01 PY ITR, '17 R8 Plus, '15 M4 700+hp, '15 Sprintex S/C CR-Z, '20 Ram 1500 Longhorn, '71 C10 Restored, '01 BMW Wagon, '02 CETA WS6, & some bikes!
Country flag
+1 waiting for this release!!

How are we looking PRL?