PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Stock fuel pump is 7200. Hondata I think I read is 7600.
Oh, that’s good if true. I’ve confirmed with XDI that the pump itself can handle 8000.
Sponsored

Tsong

First Name
Timmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic type r
Country flag
Does the prl turbo come with a compressor and turbine map?

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Does the prl turbo come with a compressor and turbine map?
I have not seen one yet, but this is a very specific turbo meant for our cars, so I dont really think there is a need for one.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have not seen one yet, but this is a very specific turbo meant for our cars, so I dont really think there is a need for one.
It’s still useful to have in order to properly tune the turbo ratio limit tables.

Tsong

First Name
Timmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic type r
Country flag
Thanks man. It’s just that the Mitsubishi upgrade says that’s unlike other turbo upgrades that theirs has it. I’m still new to this so I’m not sure if this is detrimental. I thought since it was a drop in that it would all be there

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Thanks man. It’s just that the Mitsubishi upgrade says that’s unlike other turbo upgrades that theirs has it. I’m still new to this so I’m not sure if this is detrimental. I thought since it was a drop in that it would all be there
True, I guess im not sure why PRL didnt release any. My thought process behind is is that common turbos that can be used across platforms probably have them so people can figure out what the thresholds are for proper sizing, whereas this turbo is specific enough for our platform that it might not be worthwhile, but I could be wrong.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
It’s still useful to have in order to properly tune the turbo ratio limit tables.
This is the first time ive heard mention of any tuner referencing a compressor map to tune a vehicle, but the reasoning likely goes over my head.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Would this make the prl turbo harder to tune?
Not necessarily, the maps don’t give you the exact numbers to use and we didn’t have the map for the stock turbo either. It just gives you a better guess ahead of time, and once you’ve figured it out for one you’ve figured it out for them all.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is the first time ive heard mention of any tuner referencing a compressor map to tune a vehicle, but the reasoning likely goes over my head.
The maps essentially describe where the turbo is most efficient. Using that, it gives me a better idea of where I should limit the compression ratio so it doesn’t start putting out hot air and reducing power. Enough trial and error can tell you the same thing.

On Hondata, the tables used for limiting the turbocharger are described just like the compressor map, as a ratio of inlet pressure to outlet pressure.

Tsong

First Name
Timmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic type r
Country flag
Not necessarily, the maps don’t give you the exact numbers to use and we didn’t have the map for the stock turbo either. It just gives you a better guess ahead of time, and once you’ve figured it out for one you’ve figured it out for them all.
So pretty much this means when the the turbo comes out, just wait for a few cars to get tuned before I tune mine? Lol

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So pretty much this means when the the turbo comes out, just wait for a few cars to get tuned before I tune mine? Lol
I mean, if you’ve got a good, dedicated tuner who doesn’t cut corners they’ll get your car running right either way. Just a matter of how fast they can do it.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The maps essentially describe where the turbo is most efficient. Using that, it gives me a better idea of where I should limit the compression ratio so it doesn’t start putting out hot air and reducing power. Enough trial and error can tell you the same thing.

On Hondata, the tables used for limiting the turbocharger are described just like the compressor map, as a ratio of inlet pressure to outlet pressure.
gotcha, that makes sense.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The nice thing is, there was a good amount of R&D on this turbo that @kefi or anyone else should have a decent understanding of where the turbo is most efficient.