PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
I’m so anxious to see results. I wonder also if there will need to be software changes due to the changes to the turbo. I’m not talking tune changes. I’m curious if the stock wastegate can control the boost or could there be an issue like efr turbo kit where you can’t run less than 24 psi without throttle closures.
For those who don’t know the stock fuel system can’t keep up with fuel demands at 24psi using efr turbo kit. It can be done but requires software changes that currently hondata doesn’t have. Motec can but who has 7000 lying around??

Chumbaloo

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civic type r grey
Country flag
So I’m not trying to be annoying especially people who have this on watch just to see a guy asking for an update but summer bout to be over and the itch to get a big turbo is really hard to wait. I keep looking at rampage kits but I’m holding off a little longer. Take my money already lol.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Update:

Just because we’ve been quiet lately regarding the P600 Turbocharger Upgrade, doesn’t mean we haven’t been moving forward with this project. As some of you may have seen, we installed one of our prototype P600 turbochargers on our 2.0T Accord for future development and to test reliability. Sure, we want to offer the community an upgrade that performs well, but our primary focus here at PRL is to ensure that these turbochargers are reliable and won’t leave customers stranded.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development 122157515_2727140237602845_6587152333920450290_n

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development 122141773_813882556097192_132818204973465705_n

We’re closing in on 10,000 miles hard miles with this turbocharger, and thus far the P600 has exceeded expectations. In-car performance and drivability feels fantastic, with logs hinting at spool similar to the OE FK8 turbocharger. Now that we are satisfied with initial testing, we have begun shipping our remaining prototype units to anonymous third party testers with FK8 Civic Type-Rs. Each party has been asked to monitor and provide data for us, with real-world power gains and performance being the ultimate goal. During this period of time, we will continue to rapidly tack on the mileage as we test reliability.

Once all parties have concluded testing, we will be sure to organize this data and publicly release the results, as well as pricing and an expected ship date for the first batch or turbochargers.

Last edited:

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would also gladly volunteer my car as some random guy with a tune and uses it for daily driving lol Miami Weather here though... maybe that would be beneficial for testing ???

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
A few weeks back we sent out a few P600 turbochargers to companies for third party testing in an effort to see real-world data such as dyno numbers, track times and reliability. Sean and Mike at Kinetic Autoworks in Maryland were able to offer us a customer’s FK8 Civic Type-R for testing. Fortunately for us, this customer had already purchased a clutch upgrade and Hondata fuel system upgrade to support larger power goals. These upgrades would allow us to see the P600 turbocharger’s potential beyond the factory fuel system and clutch limitations we experienced during previous testing on our V1 P600 prototype.

Vehicle Modifications:
  • Hondata FlashPro
  • Hondata Fuel System Upgrade
  • PRL Motorsports Flex Fuel Kit
  • PRL Motorsports P600 Turbocharger Upgrade
  • PRL Motorsports High Volume Intake System
  • PRL Motorsports Titanium Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kit
  • PRL Motorsports Intercooler & Charge Pipe Upgrade Kit
  • PRL Motorsports Downpipe & Front Pipe Upgrade
  • Exhaust System Upgrade
  • Clutch Masters Clutch Upgrade

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development 93oct

We wanted to compare data between the factory turbocharger and P600 on 93 octane with an identical boost curve at 26 PSI. The P600 produced 415.81 horsepower and 408 ft/lbs torque, which was a 39 horsepower and 15 ft/lb torque gain in comparison to the factory turbocharger at the same boost level. We also see 20+ horsepower gains from about 4300 RPM until redline. We only see a 400-600 RPM delay in turbocharger spool. The deadly torque spike of the factory turbocharger was softened, pushing peak torque to the right.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development Tuned_Runs

Kinetic also put together an e50 tune for their customer to allow them safely push just under 500 horsepower with stock engine. Ethanol allowed the P600 to make 494 horsepower and 451 ft/lbs torque at 27 PSI. Peak power still carried to the 7300 RPM rev limit without dropping, so race applications will be able to efficiently rev even further.

Thus far we are very satisfied with the P600’s results. We expect the P600 to be able to efficiently make power until around 40 PSI given the compressor wheel design, which will allow for 600 horsepower capabilities. 27 PSI is just beginning to scratch the surface of the P600’s true potential, especially given our ball bearing CHRA design for the much-needed longevity at higher boost levels. This turbo upgrade will allow customers to make impressive power gains at lower boost levels, which means lower shaft speeds, less back-pressure, lower EGTs, lower charge air temps, lower IATs, and improved turbocharger, engine and component reliability.

Our friends at Hondata are also working on a basemap calibration for the P600 turbocharger that we expect to see available by the time these turbochargers are released to the public. Stay tuned for more third party testing results to be followed by pricing and a release date in the very near future!

http://prlarmy.com/Blog/prl-motorsp...p-in-turbocharger-upgrade-development-part-5/

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ask and you shall receive. Thank you @PRL Motorsports

Ps. If you need another tester I will gladly volunteer my car!
Someone contacted them late October on my behalf as I have a fully built 1200hp capable engine to really put this to the test and they were told test units went out the day prior. ?

If you want to know how hard it can be pushed the 1st thing that needs done is put on a motor capable of bigger power than it is to push it hard to test reliability, I can easily push 40 PSI and could have told you if it was capable or not.

Last edited:

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh joy, it's you ranting about your magical 1000...oh sorry, now we're up to 1200HP motor.
1000+ can be done currently but I’m looking for a solution that doesn’t involve removing the AC. The 1000+ hp is a dyno toy. You can’t street drive a 1000hp civic. You are quite uninformed on what’s possible.

You push 1000hp on the dyno then tune it for optimal street driving,

There’s nothing magical about it. It’s called custom fabrication and a big turbo.

Last edited:

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's my uniform look like though?

-Side note, I wasn't even talking about the HP of the car, just the fact that any thread related to performance you rush into to yell about your 1000+ HP engine and how nothing is good enough and you're the best and everyone else's civic isn't and when people call you out on it, you immediately just tell them they're wrong and you're the best BECAUSE I HAVE A 1000+ HP BUILT MOTOR!
You don’t have a horse in the race so why are you talking about something you know nothing about other than to troll. My reply was that I threw my hat in the ring to test. I never said I was the best, I never said anyone’s car is not good, so you obviously don’t know what your talking about. I’m done with the random trolling. The 1000+ HP motor is relevant because they don’t have anything more than 27 PSI to share.

Candyblueta

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CTR, '01 PY ITR, '17 R8 Plus, '15 M4 700+hp, '15 Sprintex S/C CR-Z, '20 Ram 1500 Longhorn, '71 C10 Restored, '01 BMW Wagon, '02 CETA WS6, & some bikes!
Country flag
Awesome @PRL Motorsports!! I can’t wait to snag this... Been patiently waiting to mod my CTR until this data & kit came out