PRL Motorsports Front Pipe - Fitment Rattle - Installation error?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
MOD EDIT: After reading this thread in full I added "- Installation Error?" to your title because that appears to be the case here. I didn't want PRL to get any negative press for an issue that was not their fault.

Op Edit: Even after correcting the installation error (No cat convert stay was installed previously), the rattling happened again on another brand new front pipe install.

I had some fitment issues today with the PRL Motorsports front pipe today. I made a quick video and uploaded it so you can see the location that I'm talking about. It is the connection between the front pipe and the stock midpipe (Or B-pipe it may be called?). There was a 1" gap between the two that could not be connected. Not sure why this was the case.

Also, right at this same location the PRL front pipe flange contacted the heat shield there. I had to have that slightly modified so that while the PRL front pipe moves, it would not hit this and rattle. If you have any rattling issues with the PRL front pipe itself, check this location and see if the heat shield is coming into contact with the front pipe itself.

The PRL Motorsports front pipe and downpipe I had installed, was installed just fine. No issues there. These are just things that my shop encountered. I will try to post several pics later and possibly an extra video or two. I have to run out with the Misses to take care of several things. Just sharing!

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Front Pipe - Fitment Rattle - Installation error? PRL Downpipe to Stock Exhaust 1

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Front Pipe - Fitment Rattle - Installation error? PRL Downpipe to Stock Exhaust 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still getting rattling from time to time. I did have a few adjustments made to the exhaust area around the exhaust to try to avoid any rubbing. Last area is the where the front pipe makes this upside down u-bend towards the rear exhaust. It's not touching now but as the engine/tranny moves, it makes contact.

So if you hear stories from anyone about any rattling after installing the PRL frontpipe or downpipe, heads up.

ferdinand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2019 BMW X2 M35i
Country flag
Still getting rattling from time to time. I did have a few adjustments made to the exhaust area around the exhaust to try to avoid any rubbing. Last area is the where the front pipe makes this upside down u-bend towards the rear exhaust. It's not touching now but as the engine/tranny moves, it makes contact.

So if you hear stories from anyone about any rattling after installing the PRL frontpipe or downpipe, heads up.
Hope you get the rattles sorted - they can ruin the best sounding exhausts...my rattles (on past cars) usually came when the exhaust heated up and expanded ever so much after some "spirited driving". If your tolerances are super tight, then you will probably have contact after the exhaust gets hot.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hope you get the rattles sorted - they can ruin the best sounding exhausts...
I got my rattles sorted out alright. I removed the PRL Front Pipe piece and tossed it out. I now have the stock front pipe installed along with the stock exhaust all the way out to the two mufflers. Tossed out my 3" Hybrid Injen exhaust as well. Car is quiet again and still feels just as powerful. I don't go by feeling though so I have to test it at the track. Best of all, no more rattling. You live and learn.

I've included pictures below of where the PRL Motorsports Front Pipe and intermediate drive axle were in contact with each other. If you have any rattles with the PRL Front Pipe, be sure to check this location as well as others. Just a heads up!

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Front Pipe - Fitment Rattle - Installation error? Front Pipe Rub - 1

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Front Pipe - Fitment Rattle - Installation error? Front Pipe Rub - 2

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Front Pipe - Fitment Rattle - Installation error? Front Pipe Rub - 3

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now THAT is a nice little gouge. I thought the flex section was supposed to negate things like this. So far no rattles on the front pipe that came with my exhaust thank goodness.

Last edited:

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Last edited:

ayeerock

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civc FK7 Sport
Country flag
down pipe fitting good tho?

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ferdinand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wonder if this is a cvt issue? Anyone running the PRL front pipe on a cvt without rattles?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports Apologies for tagging you, but I am planning to order these parts come the Spring and my primary concern has been fitment and avoiding more rattles than I already have (which would drive my OCD wild). It seems that there was a pretty substantial gap in the OP's picture of the front pipe. Would you be able to provide any feedback on this? Hoping that it was just a random outlier. Thanks!

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Moderator....can you please change thread title to say 'PRL Motorsports Front Pipe - Fitment Rattle?

I had some fitment issues today with the PRL Motorsports front pipe today. I made a quick video and uploaded it so you can see the location that I'm talking about. It is the connection between the front pipe and the stock midpipe (Or B-pipe it may be called?). There was a 1" gap between the two that could not be connected. Not sure why this was the case.

Also, right at this same location the PRL front pipe flange contacted the heat shield there. I had to have that slightly modified so that while the PRL front pipe moves, it would not hit this and rattle. If you have any rattling issues with the PRL front pipe itself, check this location and see if the heat shield is coming into contact with the front pipe itself.

The PRL Motorsports front pipe and downpipe I had installed, was installed just fine. No issues there. These are just things that my shop encountered. I will try to post several pics later and possibly an extra video or two. I have to run out with the Misses to take care of several things. Just sharing!

PRL Downpipe to Stock Exhaust 1.jpg

PRL Downpipe to Stock Exhaust 2.jpg

I got my rattles sorted out alright. I removed the PRL Front Pipe piece and tossed it out. I now have the stock front pipe installed along with the stock exhaust all the way out to the two mufflers. Tossed out my 3" Hybrid Injen exhaust as well. Car is quiet again and still feels just as powerful. I don't go by feeling though so I have to test it at the track. Best of all, no more rattling. You live and learn.

I've included pictures below of where the PRL Motorsports Front Pipe and intermediate drive axle were in contact with each other. If you have any rattles with the PRL Front Pipe, be sure to check this location as well as others. Just a heads up!

Front Pipe Rub - 1.jpg

Front Pipe Rub - 2.jpg

Front Pipe Rub - 3.jpg
@PRL Motorsports Apologies for tagging you, but I am planning to order these parts come the Spring and my primary concern has been fitment and avoiding more rattles than I already have (which would drive my OCD wild). It seems that there was a pretty substantial gap in the OP's picture of the front pipe. Would you be able to provide any feedback on this? Hoping that it was just a random outlier. Thanks!
This is the first time that we've ever heard of anything like this. We have not had a single fitment issue since the first batch of 10-15 months ago and have now sold over 100 kits. All downpipes and front pipes (like everything we make) are fitted, welded and test-fitted in a jig, so fitment is the same for all. Fitment is very tight through the power steering area due to the fact our front pipe uses 3" tubing, but it can be massaged and fitted through there without any rattling issues. Remember that these cars are manufactured on a production line, so there can/will be a bit of fitment variance due to "slop." This is one of the reasons why we implement a flex section in our design, to allow for these minor variances.

Judging by the pictures, it appears that there is some sort of issue towards the downpipe connection/installation. The front pipe should be nowhere near the intermediate shaft.
  • Was the downpipe-to-turbocharger connection left loose so that the downpipe could be appropriately rotated/clocked to allow for proper fitment through the downpipe/midpipe assembly connection? This is the most common install error, as we have received quite a few calls and emails about this.
  • Was the downpipe bracket connected to the proper side of the flange? We have seen a few customers install the bracket to the wrong side, causing the downpipe to be pushed the wrong way, causing front pipe fitment issues.
All connections should be left loose to allow for proper fitment adjustment.

With that being said, we are always willing to answer any questions, it's just difficult to keep up with every single communication outlet. A phone call or email is always preferred and prioritized. This could've prevented this headache. :(

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Judging by the pictures, it appears that there is some sort of issue towards the downpipe connection/installation. The front pipe should be nowhere near the intermediate shaft.
  • Was the downpipe-to-turbocharger connection left loose so that the downpipe could be appropriately rotated/clocked to allow for proper fitment through the downpipe/midpipe assembly connection? This is the most common install error, as we have received quite a few calls and emails about this.
  • Was the downpipe bracket connected to the proper side of the flange? We have seen a few customers install the bracket to the wrong side, causing the downpipe to be pushed the wrong way, causing front pipe fitment issues.
@PRL Motorsports

With that being said, we are always willing to answer any questions, it's just difficult to keep up with every single communication outlet. A phone call or email is always preferred and prioritized. This could've prevented this headache. :(

I have no idea on the two points above. Shop installed it. I drove off without issue. Then when making a sharp turn or sometimes during acceleration, the banging/rattling started. The piece was damaged so I replaced it with my stock front pipe. No more banging/rattling. I thought installation would've been straight forward, without any specific items to try to avoid. Here is what I suggest. And I'm only suggesting this as a customer of yours (I ordered your Front Pipe/Downpipe as well as have preordered your intercooler, CAI and CVT Cooler).

Include a slip of paper that states the following items to your future customers on the front pipe installation:
1) Leave the downpipe-to-turbocharger connection loose so that the downpipe could be appropriately rotated/clocked to allow for proper fitment through the downpipe/midpipe assembly connection. This is the most common install error, as we have received quite a few calls and emails about this.
2) Connect the downpipe bracket to the proper side of the flange. We have seen a few customers install the bracket to the wrong side, causing the downpipe to be pushed the wrong way, causing front pipe fitment issues.

With this info included in the future packages of frontpipes shipped, you should not have any more calls (Or much fewer calls) about this.

Just making a suggestion so no-one else may potentially run into this issue. I had no idea what caused this and I had no resolution. The damage was already done once installed and driven and the rattling started. If this information was included in with the shipping of the front pipe and downpipe, I could have possibly avoided this whole scenario.

Last edited:

ecarranza11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
Country flag
This is the first time that we've ever heard of anything like this. We have not had a single fitment issue since the first batch of 10-15 months ago and have now sold over 100 kits. All downpipes and front pipes (like everything we make) are fitted, welded and test-fitted in a jig, so fitment is the same for all. Fitment is very tight through the power steering area due to the fact our front pipe uses 3" tubing, but it can be massaged and fitted through there without any rattling issues. Remember that these cars are manufactured on a production line, so there can/will be a bit of fitment variance due to "slop." This is one of the reasons why we implement a flex section in our design, to allow for these minor variances.

Hey I had a shop install my downpipe and frontpipe as well, when I drove off I have no problems until a couple days later I kept hearing the fringing noise.

I was on the list of preorders when the products just came out and I have a CVT.

Today I finally had time to lift my car and see where the noise was coming from and it's the same spot as @Myx

What can I do to fix this problem?

ferdinand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is anyone running the PRL front pipe on a CVT without these issues?
Sponsored