PRL Motorsports Downpipe Test Tuned using KTUNER

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Well, after not getting any results worth talking about using my high octane fuel PRL has dubbed as my “secret sauce”, it was time to go back to low octane fuel and see what this downpipe could do — if anything. As much fun as it is to just push the motor and turbo to it’s full potential using the best stuff you can throw at it — testing on the average every day fuel most people will use is more realistic. And well — nothing gets more real than running this car on 87 octane, probably the lowest octane you can get in the USA (I’ve seen a few remote locations with 85 or 86 octane, but that’s really rare).

Tuning done in-house using KTuner.

Full thoughts & install pics here: http://blog.vittuned.com/tested-prl-motorsports-civicx-race-downpipe/

Results vs "stock tuned" on 87 octane.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Downpipe Test Tuned using KTUNER similar_boost_vs_stock_tuned
Sponsored

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
great write up. Thank you Vit:thumbsup:

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed! gives PRL a fair shot, at least, for those who don't want to tune their ride. can't wait to read the write up on the turbo upgrade lol

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Agreed! gives PRL a fair shot, at least, for those who don't want to tune their ride. can't wait to read the write up on the turbo upgrade lol
Well you're not going to get these gains just running a +6 basemap, we tuned it to get the best the fuel could do with the DP, lol.

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
oh gotcha, so still some tuning involved.
Correct. There will be some gains with the basemaps as well -- that's why I tried to keep boost before/after the DP the same, to try and show a 1:1 gain from just the DP on 87 oct, and there was 8-10hp and 15-20wtq there.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lol you should raise your prices on a custom tune. it's a bargain. jk please dont, but you should.

think about it PRL 600+ but to see gains, you need a proper tune, to get a tune, you need FP or Ktuner, 600+ cost to tune with VitTuned 250 makes more power than any bolt on you can buy.

16civicFLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-TL, 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L
Country flag
Hey vit this was in the 6MT right...correct me if I'm wrong but cvt won't handle that much torque right...?

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Hey vit this was in the 6MT right...correct me if I'm wrong but cvt won't handle that much torque right...?
Yes our test car is always a 6MT.

The CVT will benefit from the HP -- I intentionally detuned torque levels in the mid range on the CVT to protect the trans (unless a willing or daring client tells me he wants to go all out).

16civicFLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-TL, 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L
Country flag
Yes our test car is always a 6MT.

The CVT will benefit from the HP -- I intentionally detuned torque levels in the mid range on the CVT to protect the trans (unless a willing or daring client tells me he wants to go all out).
Perfect!!

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Coming from more 'traditional' turbocharged platforms, thanks for the explanation on how the electronic wastegate works/communicates @VitViper. Definitely has shed more light on how differently tuning and modding this drivetrain compares to traditional turbocharged I-4's. I appreciate the more detailed/technical writeups usually only found on more "tuned" platforms