Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Greetings Civic X!

We purchased an EX-T Civic a few months back to develop our 10th Gen Civic product line on, but put the project on the back-burner to grow our other product lines until the MT 1.5Ts and Si were within grasp (our Si will arrive soon!). Now that the MT cars have become more readily available and the Si is near, it's time to get the ball rolling! Last week we began tearing into our EX-T. Here are some teasers!
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development tango_face_wink

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development Downpipe1_zpsruimwj6k

Pictured here is a 3D rendering of our Civic X 1.5T downpipe. This piece will be constructed of 16 gauge 304 stainless tubing and optional cat. We are currently working on testing a 300 Cell (CPSI) cat with a unique high-load coating. As of now, Hondata has no plans on allowing users and tuners to turn off the CEL for deleting their cat. Because if this we wanted to give the public a way to pick up performance without throwing a CEL. However, there will be a catless version offered in case K-Tuner plans on filling in this void or somebody else has another trick up their sleeve. ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development Midpipe1_zps8ndnkywe

Pictured here is our 3" intermediate pipe/midpipe. The factor piece is only ~2" ID!

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development IMG_0753_zpsl8lwuosr

This is what our raw materials will look like before being cut up for assembly!

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development DSC02399_zpsgrylokyr

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development DSC02397_zps1coudmeo

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development DSC02395_zps7y95atgu

Due to the great success and support of our divided end tank 8th and 9th Gen intercoolers, we've decided to implement the divider(s) into a similar 10th Gen intercooler setup. We understand that the 1.5L motor and turbocharger is much smaller than the 2.0L and 2.4L K-Series engines that are using turbos capable of 50+ lbs/min, so we will be utilizing smaller diameter intercooler piping with a few other tricks to reduce turbo lag for quick spool. However, our intercooler will still be capable of big numbers for future power goals.

Stay tuned for updates on pricing, performance gains, datalogs/tech info and an ETA! We will also be doing a group buy once information is finalized!

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
probably could run a angled O2 eliminator elbow for the CEL?

will you make an adapter to bolt on onto the stock exhaust?
Definitely, procivic has one in their downpipe section already. 100% bolt on, take your secondary O2 off, screw their thing in, screw in your O2, no more cel.

Back on topic, super excited, very interested in pretty much all of it! Haven't even heard of a midpipe from anyone else yet!!

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Downpipe please!!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We discussed supplying a defouler or something, but there have been times in the past where this didn't quite fix the CEL issue. We wanted to offer a proper solution for this and the guys that want to retain a cat, however, rest assured that we will still offer a catless "race" version.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Definitely, procivic has one in their downpipe section already. 100% bolt on, take your secondary O2 off, screw their thing in, screw in your O2, no more cel.

Back on topic, super excited, very interested in pretty much all of it! Haven't even heard of a midpipe from anyone else yet!!
We discussed supplying a defouler or something, but there have been times in the past where this didn't quite fix the CEL issue. We wanted to offer a proper solution for this and the guys that want to retain a cat, however, rest assured that we will still offer a catless "race" version.
what i meant is if the downpipe/midpipe will bolt up to the stock exhaust piping since PRL midpipe is 3"

Last edited:

16civicFLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-TL, 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L
Country flag
what i meant is if the downpipe/midpipe will bolt up to the stock exhaust piping since PRL midpipe is 3"
Why would you change your downpipe/mid pipe without changing your exhaust...

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Why would you change your downpipe/mid pipe without changing your exhaust...
simple the cat is restricting the flow. I have already maxed out the CVT. I'm just looking to smooth out the power band. According to Hondata testing, they didnt not see much gains from an aftermarket exhaust. This is my beater so i don't want a fart can buzzing everyday i drive this car

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development upload_2017-1-27_13-6-59

Last edited:

16civicFLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-TL, 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L
Country flag
simple the cat is restricting the flow. I have already maxed out the CVT. I'm just looking to smooth out the power band. According to Hondata testing, they didnt not see much gains from an aftermarket exhaust. This is my beater so i don't want a fart can buzzing everyday i drive this car

upload_2017-1-27_13-6-59.png
Understood, I pretty much maxed out my cvt, really debating on trading up for the SI once it releases

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From the OP post " As of now, Hondata has no plans on allowing users and tuners to turn off the CEL for deleting their cat"
Maybe this is how they get CARB approved and then get Honda approval for sales at dealerships?

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We have an adapter piece in the works for guys looking to retain the factory exhaust. More pics and information will be released within the next week or two.

upload_2017-1-27_13-6-59.png
Correct, the first thing(s) we did when we purchased our EX-T about a year ago was disconnect the factory exhaust after the intermediate pipe. There were very minimal gains, thus concluding that that the factory exhaust isn't choking out these cars much, or at least with the factory cat and I-pipe. Hondata and also concluded this and explained that there was little gain with an exhaust in their tuning seminar earlier this week while our tuner was there. In our experience with the Subaru community, quite there are quite a few customers that want the performance gains of a downpipe but don't want the added noise.

From our discussions with Hondata and a few other tuners, it seems that Honda engineered a very efficient platform straight from the factory. Though there have been minimal gains from cat-back exhausts on stock to near stock cars, we suspect that cat-back exhaust systems will see more gains on cars that are more heavily modified; i.e. intake, downpipe, midpipe, exhaust and intercooler, so I wouldn't dismiss exhaust upgrades quite yet. We expect the majority of gains to come from the downpipe w/ I-pipe and intercooler upgrade with charge pipe. So far all downpipe testing from other companies on the market has been with the factory I-pipe, which doesn't make sense to us to bottleneck exhaust flow. The only intercooler testing that has been done to our knowledge used stock charge piping, where our intercooler kit will come with supplied upgraded charge piping. When we designed our prototype charge pipe kit for the Subaru FA20DIT WRX platform we didn't expect to see much performance gain due to the fact the factory piping looked to be rather efficient. This in fact was not the case.

Hondata also explained in their seminar that there are quite a few obstacles to overcome in designing a proper intake system. Honda implemented a very complex design from the factory in size and shape, whether it looks like it or not. There is more to an intake system with these cars than just increasing tubing diameter. We will release more information and prototype rendering when we are happy with what we've come up with. Please bare with us.

We are working to provide what we feel will be the most efficient and cost-effective products for the Civic X 1.5T platform, not just parts to spend money on.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
From the OP post " As of now, Hondata has no plans on allowing users and tuners to turn off the CEL for deleting their cat"
Maybe this is how they get CARB approved and then get Honda approval for sales at dealerships?
Bingo :thumbsup:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We have an adapter piece in the works for guys looking to retain the factory exhaust. More pics and information will be released within the next week or two.

Correct, the first thing(s) we did when we purchased our EX-T about a year ago was disconnect the factory exhaust after the intermediate pipe. There were very minimal gains, thus concluding that that the factory exhaust isn't choking out these cars much, or at least with the factory cat and I-pipe. Hondata and also concluded this and explained that there was little gain with an exhaust in their tuning seminar earlier this week while our tuner was there. In our experience with the Subaru community, quite there are quite a few customers that want the performance gains of a downpipe but don't want the added noise.

From our discussions with Hondata and a few other tuners, it seems that Honda engineered a very efficient platform straight from the factory. Though there have been minimal gains from cat-back exhausts on stock to near stock cars, we suspect that cat-back exhaust systems will see more gains on cars that are more heavily modified; i.e. intake, downpipe, midpipe, exhaust and intercooler, so I wouldn't dismiss exhaust upgrades quite yet. We expect the majority of gains to come from the downpipe w/ I-pipe and intercooler upgrade with charge pipe. So far all downpipe testing from other companies on the market has been with the factory I-pipe, which doesn't make sense to us to bottleneck exhaust flow. The only intercooler testing that has been done to our knowledge used stock charge piping, where our intercooler kit will come with supplied upgraded charge piping. When we designed our prototype charge pipe kit for the Subaru FA20DIT WRX platform we didn't expect to see much performance gain due to the fact the factory piping looked to be rather efficient. This in fact was not the case.

Hondata also explained in their seminar that there are quite a few obstacles to overcome in designing a proper intake system. Honda implemented a very complex design from the factory in size and shape, whether it looks like it or not. There is more to an intake system with these cars than just increasing tubing diameter. We will release more information and prototype rendering when we are happy with what we've come up with. Please bare with us.

We are working to provide what we feel will be the most efficient and cost-effective products for the Civic X 1.5T platform, not just parts to spend money on.
looks like Ill be waiting for you guys to come out with your stuff before I add anymore aftermarket parts (I only have Flash Pro now anyhow). This is the most thorough breakdown Ive read yet and proves to me you guys are doing this the right way!
Sponsored