Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
is this really needed?
or just for looks seems like a waste of money
I've been meaning to post some data for others to come to their own conclusions but I haven't finished the code to analyze all the data I have. Therefore, I'll offer some datapoints but with the disclaimer that this information I do not consider conclusive.
  • It helps keep the heat out of the intake air. After a spirited drive, I let the car idle for a minute or so. With the stock TIP, IAT would get up to 150F, which consequently was the surface temperature of the inlet. In the same conditions above with the coated PRL TIP, I have not seen the IAT get near 150F even after waiting a couple minutes it would get up to about 135F. When I measured the surface temperature of the PRL TIP, it was about 200F, which indeed means it is helping hold the heat out of the air
  • Boost increases faster 150 kPA/s vs 125 kPA/s, which is about 3.6 psi of boost per second gain
  • More air. I've had to pull back on the charge limit because the fuel pump was getting close to maxing out
I think to get the most out of the PRL TIP, dealing with the heat from the turbo and exhaust is in order.

I'll admit, I can be a total PITA. When I was unhappy with the surface quality, PRL was very patient with me. In addition, they put the effort in to make sure I understood the situation and that I was happy in the end.

Now with all that said, do you need it? No. Do I need a Type R? No. Am I happy? Yes.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've been meaning to post some data for others to come to their own conclusions but I haven't finished the code to analyze all the data I have.
Ayyy someone else using code for datalog analysis. I've been working on an online datalog analyzer for a bit now that'll spit out data like boost gain speed and IAT heatmaps and automatically identify issues (i.e. the AF swings that this part tends to cause without MAF recalibration). You just upload your FPDL file straight from FlashPro and it outputs the data to your browser along with a link to share it.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kit 1600617583466

I don't have the interface itself for the analysis data fully worked out yet but this is what the graphs look like and the analysis is already working in code form. Much better than Hondata, lol (in their defense the graph library they use is like 15 years old)

I'm hoping once I'm done with this people can just quantify their own datalogs and see the proof in the pudding.

BACK ON TOPIC THOUGH,

The TIP definitely changes the airflow for the better. Think of it like trying to suck through a small straw instead of a big one, it's easier - the turbo doesn't have to work as hard. The benefits are mostly IAT related and spool though rather than 'oh this part'll let me make 10 more horsepower'. Very few parts have an actual added power benefit.

You don't 'need' anything on this platform. If you want to add power, the only things you 'need' to start is a tune. You'd probably want a downpipe and an intercooler, but the rest mostly just helps with IAT and spool.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Ayyy someone else using code for datalog analysis. I've been working on an online datalog analyzer for a bit now that'll spit out data like boost gain speed and IAT heatmaps and automatically identify issues (i.e. the AF swings that this part tends to cause without MAF recalibration)
I digress... I've written code (and a spreadsheet) that will calibrate the MAF in a single shot. However, sometimes it takes a second run because the FlashPro doesn't log it with all the resolution that's there.
Said code will do analysis on a single datalog but that's not my end goal. It calculates engineering properties like thermal time constants and Reynolds number. My end goal is also incorporating statistical analysis like you would do for a therapeutic medical device. Therefore, analyzing multiple datalogs is necessary.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I digress... I've written code (and a spreadsheet) that will calibrate the MAF in a single shot. However, sometimes it takes a second run because the FlashPro doesn't log it with all the resolution that's there.
Said code will do analysis on a single datalog but that's not my end goal. It calculates engineering properties like thermal time constants and Reynolds number. My end goal is also incorporating statistical analysis like you would do for a therapeutic medical device. Therefore, analyzing multiple datalogs is necessary.
Nice. Sounds like you know more of the math than I do. The tool I'm creating isn't going to just analyze one datalog either, it can use the data from multiple and compare them. I've already developed a MAF calibration feature for it as well.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
i have a 2020 CTR though isnt the data different for thr car? there is fsw different parts now to keep the car cooler

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
i have a 2020 CTR though isnt the data different for thr car? there is fsw different parts now to keep the car cooler
Barely. The problem is still there and the parts used to help solve it will have roughly the same temperature deltas.

The changes mostly had to do with the radiator and ECTs on the track. It did even less to improve IATs.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
Barely. The problem is still there and the parts used to help solve it will have roughly the same temperature deltas.

The changes mostly had to do with the radiator and ECTs on the track. It did even less to improve IATs.
i dont plan on tracking it
i am on a e30 tune I would think this helps too.

yah I am not convinced

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just installed mine, but haven't had enough time on the road to gauge anything.

I bought the part to help the turbo spool faster and improve throttle response.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just installed mine, but haven't had enough time on the road to gauge anything.

I bought the part to help the turbo spool faster and improve throttle response.
Got some pics? I’m always interested in seeing what everyone’s engine bay looks like. There were also a couple different finishes on these. Where you all buying yours from they have been out of stock since early summer and still say TBA. I had to order mine from Canada even tho I was told 1st week of June it would be available for mid July and they are still not in stock at PRL.

Sorry for the quality on the shots they were quick snapshots.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kit DBA07FEC-11E0-4EC1-81EA-D2D0E537BC9A

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kit C40DF6B4-2081-462A-A5AA-3B9A03FB62C2

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kit 46F17BDC-7319-4669-8F7F-E6606C5B2A0D

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kit 08C4EB10-FB39-47A0-AAEF-7D84C8FFD4BF

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kit E7BEFB68-B89E-4CAA-A550-DD27C84B3BC6

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kit 38E8173C-06F6-4649-8F5E-9F78259DAA34

Last edited:

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
My engine bay doesn't have any cosmetics. You'll only see the PRL HVI, Turbo Inlet Pipe, Mishimoto OCC, & Cusco front strut bar.

I got the turbo inlet pipe as a blemished item last March. Argh, I see the blemished items are $60 cheaper now. Mine has light scratch marks on the titanium part.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
What better way to bring in the new year than with the re-release of our FK8 Civic Type-R Titanium Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kits? Product listing will be active after bringing in the New Year on 01/01/2021!

KellyD

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic type r
Country flag
i was curious about the mishimoto intake fitting with the prl inlet pipe and stock hose but the issue is the stock hose is about 1 1/2" too long because the factory air box is physically narrower. the only issue i really had with the hvi hose is the valve has to be turned a certain way to not hit the hood as you can see from my photos if you place the valve in the proper factory orientation it will impact the hood when closed.
20200130_163741.jpg
20200130_163741.jpg
So does it work fine with the mishimoto intake, if you move it around. And did you use the HVI hose?

KellyD

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic type r
Country flag
02b44d8a-a367-49b4-9efa-9e88fcdf566f-jpeg.jpg

Alejandro123 put the inlet on his mishimoto. Maybe he can chime in with how fitment was.
Does it fit with the oem to mishimoto or the PRL one? Please let me know? Thanks mayne

KellyD

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic type r
Country flag
i was curious about the mishimoto intake fitting with the prl inlet pipe and stock hose but the issue is the stock hose is about 1 1/2" too long because the factory air box is physically narrower. the only issue i really had with the hvi hose is the valve has to be turned a certain way to not hit the hood as you can see from my photos if you place the valve in the proper factory orientation it will impact the hood when closed.
20200130_163741.jpg
20200130_163741.jpg
Does it work with mishimoto air intake or no. And if it does what one should I get oem or HVI? I have mishimoto air intake. And want the inlet From PRL