PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kit

Wicked R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR, Odyssey
Country flag
Will the inlet turbo blanket fit over the bigger pipes?
Sponsored

creativedesignz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The inlet pipe blankets are great in theory but i would assume one would hold in heat once that pipe eventually gets to temperature. This design will be excellent especially if Carbon or aluminum is used. Please stay away from Ti as it doesnt dissipate heat nearly as well as aluminum!

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The inlet pipe blankets are great in theory but i would assume one would hold in heat once that pipe eventually gets to temperature. This design will be excellent especially if Carbon or aluminum is used. Please stay away from Ti as it doesnt dissipate heat nearly as well as aluminum!
I think you are thinking about this backwards. Presumably the air inside is cool and the heat is transfering through the pipe into the air. Blankets don't hold in heat, since the air is colder than the engine bay to start with; rather they keep that heat from transfering into the air and causing higher IATs and more strain on the turbo to make boost.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Or to save a lot of time and money just get Hondata and the E85 kit and not buy any bolt ons and get the same power.
1) You are assuming everyone has easy access to E85. Not everyone does, so this is not a good solution across the board

2) E85 requires more fuel flow for the same power level. So the fuel system will run out of system capacity at a far lower power level with E85 than with E10, so I am not sure how you figure E85 has more power capabilities.

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
1) You are assuming everyone has easy access to E85. Not everyone does, so this is not a good solution across the board

2) E85 requires more fuel flow for the same power level. So the fuel system will run out of system capacity at a far lower power level with E85 than with E10, so I am not sure how you figure E85 has more power capabilities.
Well if you have excess the power is there and honestly these cars can make 360whp with just custom tuning so why spend all the money on bolt ons that are not needed. If i was getting a bigger turbo i would start upgrading but until then im keeping what i have.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Well if you have excess the power is there and honestly these cars can make 360whp with just custom tuning so why spend all the money on bolt ons that are not needed. If i was getting a bigger turbo i would start upgrading but until then im keeping what i have.
It really depends what you are after as far as power goals and reliability. The over pipe will always allow you to make more power as you will have more dense air after your maf no matter what fuel you are running. We want to make the most efficient power while making as much as possible, for this reason creating the least amount of restrictions possible. The less restrictions the cooler the temperatures will be, and the easier the car will make the power you wish.

Yes you can add some e blend to your car and make some substantial power over stock, however you can always make more when you increase airflow into your turbo and out your exhaust or in other terms make more efficient power with e and bolt ons.

The advantage of running Full bolt ons with e on a road track is the ability to run less boost making the same full power while keeping your motor running cooler. The e advantage we see is for our own enjoyment at track days on a un restricted car allowing us to run longer sessions without over heating as soon. We track day our car ever couple of weeks testing new products, setups, and tunes (we recently just switched from k tuner to hondata, though we still have the k tuner unit).

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
It really depends what you are after as far as power goals and reliability. The over pipe will always allow you to make more power as you will have more dense air after your maf no matter what fuel you are running. We want to make the most efficient power while making as much as possible, for this reason creating the least amount of restrictions possible. The less restrictions the cooler the temperatures will be, and the easier the car will make the power you wish.

Yes you can add some e blend to your car and make some substantial power over stock, however you can always make more when you increase airflow into your turbo and out your exhaust or in other terms make more efficient power with e and bolt ons.

The advantage of running Full bolt ons with e on a road track is the ability to run less boost making the same full power while keeping your motor running cooler. The e advantage we see is for our own enjoyment at track days on a un restricted car allowing us to run longer sessions without over heating as soon. We track day our car ever couple of weeks testing new products, setups, and tunes (we recently just switched from k tuner to hondata, though we still have the k tuner unit).
Thank you for the info and your right with saying it comes down to what the purpose of the build is. I dont think a lot of people track these cars and use them just for a daily or maybe a weekend at the track every once in a while. Ive been racing turbo cars since i was 16 and now being nearly 40 ive seen lots of builds for turbo cars and i think a lot people buy parts to buy parts on this forum. I think people should sit down and think how will this effect my car 5 years down the road then just buying parts and throwing them on. Tuning should be the first mod to learn how the car runs on the stock platform before upgrading anything just my opinion.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Maybe I'm wrong here but seeing as this inlet pipe is almost over the furnace (turbo), it would be nice to see some some of thermal protection option as well, depending on the material chosen..

i also agree with an earlier comment that it would be nice to see a plate or label to replace the Earth Dreams one in the engine bay (CTR, Type R, PRL, etc.). Custom matching Type R number would hit it out of the park :)

Fk8tjt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda type r 2018
Country flag
Since the walls are thinner heat may get transferred more depending on material used rite?
Sponsored