creativedesignz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think the false hope stems from being given an ETA and even a pre-order page and then you blow past it by months. You're setting the expectation for your own customers.

Perhaps keeping things under wraps until your product is 100% or almost 100% is the way to go.
Sponsored

Chi_The_Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I think the false hope stems from being given an ETA and even a pre-order page and then you blow past it by months. You're setting the expectation for your own customers.

Perhaps keeping things under wraps until your product is 100% or almost 100% is the way to go.
Some things are out of PRL control imo. I’m not sure how much of the product is made in-house. But they were testing and making final revisions. All that takes time to make things perfect. The contractors they are using might be behind to meet deadline. This is common issues retailers run into.

creativedesignz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
That is why I say wait until it's a sure thing. But i get this is part of PRL's PR/Marketing...it clearly works and so do the products. Ill put it to you this way. I got my R in early January...this intake was slated to be released "shortly" back then (maybe a month later) It's now June...still no intake.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag

We've never released an ETA or pre-order page for this product. However, most of our development threads do become the Pre-Order thread as well once ready. Keeping things under wraps is not ideal for hype and keeping customers up to date.

Some things are out of PRL control imo. I’m not sure how much of the product is made in-house. But they were testing and making final revisions. All that takes time to make things perfect. The contractors they are using might be behind to meet deadline. This is common issues retailers run into.
Trust us, we are definitely as excited as you are to release this intake to the market. We've been trying everything in our power to expedite this process as much as possible. We have machined MAF housings, air filters, and most of the raw components ready to go. The air box has just proven to be problematic for us. When major revisions must be made to a rotomolded component it usually means that a new mold/piece(s) of the mold must be manufactured, which becomes a rather timely process. These are just some of the problems that can arise during mass manufacturing of a product with high quality standards. :dunno:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Keep in mind, we started hearing the Type R as a car was 'coming soon' for like 4 years before it was finally available for sale in June of 2017. I made the decision not to buy a TLX or a Tesla back in 2012 based on the rumor, which turned into promise, that it was coming.

If anything, I'd rather manufacturers be up front with what they're developing as soon as they decide they're moving to production. I prefer to use PRL products, for example, but if they came out and said 'we're never making a wet-shot NOS intake manifold plate" (trying to think of something I don't think anyone is making here...) and I really wanted to squeeze, I'd start petitioning Nitrous eXpress to make one OR try to make one myself.

Hope that I'm coming across right.
full bias disclosure- I'm a supporter and re-seller of PRL products so I have a stake in the game.

Chi_The_Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
We've never released an ETA or pre-order page for this product. However, most of our development threads do become the Pre-Order thread as well once ready. Keeping things under wraps is not ideal for hype and keeping customers up to date.

Trust us, we are definitely as excited as you are to release this intake to the market. We've been trying everything in our power to expedite this process as much as possible. We have machined MAF housings, air filters, and most of the raw components ready to go. The air box has just proven to be problematic for us. When major revisions must be made to a rotomolded component it usually means that a new mold/piece(s) of the mold must be manufactured, which becomes a rather timely process. These are just some of the problems that can arise during mass manufacturing of a product with high quality standards. :dunno:
Exactly! Otherwise you’ll be dealing with recalls or unhappy customers a few months down the road.

It’s better to get product right the first time than back track 5 steps to fix the issue and wasting more resources and money.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What surprised me is that you guys didn’t start R&D sooner. The Type R has been out for 3 years now.
We wish we could've too. However, we only had/have so much man-power and so many resources. It may not mean much to you guys, but our team has over doubled in size since the 1.5T Civic came to market. (Many, many thanks to you guys and the CivicX community; :grouphug: we seriously mean it from the bottom of our hearts) It just wasn't feasible for us to dive into this market when we were already so committed to the 1.5T Civic market. The 2016 1.5T Civic came to market much sooner, which allowed us to purchase a car for R&D and use the scans once the 2017 Civic Si came to market. Honda delayed the release of the Civic Type-R a bit, so it was a bit hard to gauge when to dive in. Once the R was released, though, the intake proved to perform much better than anticipated, which made things extremely difficult to offer an intake that notably outperformed the factory air box. We've taken everything that has been learned from the 1.5T Civic Cobra CAI and other past projects/intake systems (from our products to other manufacturers as enthusiasts and tuners) to finally come up with an intake that we're proud of.

creativedesignz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag

This is from your very first post on December 27th just sayin ;)

"If everything goes smoothly without much revision we expect this to be on pre-order some time during the spring of 2019"

I guess im being a bit impatient. I do notice you mention an improvement over the OEM airbox. How about improvements over other intakes currently on the market?

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is from your very first post on December 27th just sayin ;)

"If everything goes smoothly without much revision we expect this to be on pre-order some time during the spring of 2019"

I guess im being a bit impatient. I do notice you mention an improvement over the OEM airbox. How about improvements over other intakes currently on the market?
Good eye! ;) Sadly, things did not go as smoothly as planned.

We do not like to post comparisons between competitors intakes (unless it is a company who blatantly rips off others' products :rolleyes:), as we feel this is a bit tacky. I would imagine that you will see some back-to-back third party testing results once these hit the market, but we can confidently say that this intake system will provide the smoothest/safest fuel trims on the market while still providing the solid gains we claim. Also, our rotomolded air box will help keep temperatures down unlike a metal box or no box at all. Our air filter will be one of the largest available on the market, which means large air volume and surface area for filtration. One of the things we noticed was the fact that some manufacturers chose to retain the factory corrugated inlet hose, whereas we found that this was a restriction on our Stage 1 intake system months ago, and have chose to implement this into our High Volume Intake System. :thumbsup:

creativedesignz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Awesome man! I really cant wait to ditch my current setup for the full PRL High volume intake, turbo inlet pipe, and IC pipes. Already have the intercooler in black!

slowman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ABM CTR, 08 Mugen Si, 07 Fit Sport, 06 Acura TSX, 95 240 LS3, 93 Civic VX B16B
Country flag
The fact that they are essentially "bringing us along" with the development of their products is pretty cool and not even necessary and requires even more resources to dedicate time to post in this thread. It's just an intake, folks. They will release it when it's ready, and then you can decide if you'd like to purchase it or not. It's still Spring 2019 in my neck of the woods anyways. Nothing else really needs said about the alleged "delay" in bringing this product to market.

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I feel like the cost of doing that is pretty huge. I feel like I looked into it at one point and it was like $15,000 per SKU. SOMEONE CORRECT ME if I'm wrong!
The cost of submitting an EO application is zero. The guarantee of success in a timely fashion at this price point is also zero. :)

We have discussed offering a CARB compliant intake, though just have not wished to tackle the cost/hoops of achieving this at this time.
So what needs to change? Are you guys a SEMA member? They will fill out all EO related paperwork for free with membership. Price is per round of testing at their emissions facility, which I'm a one hour drive away from. They quote 3-5k per round of test on their website, which they also say takes about a week. Use my car for testing, no strings attached. Furthermore, the Type R is a rolling laboratory of sensors and datalogging potential. I have no doubt that the vast majority of testing and data collection could happen outside of the SEMA test facility, and cut down on test facility time/money with a good test plan. Again, use my car for testing, no strings attached.

While my experience is with aviation engine testing, I'm a free resource volunteering time and components. I live near other good resources. I have a vested interest because I want a damned legal intake that doesn't come from a company that produces used car salesman pitches and call them Engineering Reports. Ya'll ready to tackle the cost/hoops yet?

SlaughterR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly @PRL Motorsports, whoever’s keeps up with your forum page and is writing all these responses is a much bigger and better person than me lol. I’ve seen a lot of negative, impatient, and down right stupid comments. I work at a machine shop so I pretty much know exactly what it takes to get a prototype started and transformed into a production unit. It’s a lot of design, machine work, out sourcing, testing and QC standards. Im sure you are doing everything you can to get this thing out as promptly as possible.

You never promised a specific date of release besides spring of 2019. Which btw it still is spring, so not past due yet. And the car hasn’t even been out 2 years yet unlike the 3 year comment lol.

So I’m not trying to make anyone mad but please give these people a lil room to work. Maybe in the end you just might get a better product.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
The fact that they are essentially "bringing us along" with the development of their products is pretty cool and not even necessary and requires even more resources to dedicate time to post in this thread. It's just an intake, folks. They will release it when it's ready, and then you can decide if you'd like to purchase it or not. It's still Spring 2019 in my neck of the woods anyways. Nothing else really needs said about the alleged "delay" in bringing this product to market.
True this. It was snowing up in New England yesterday.
Sponsored