Higgo8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 CTR GT
Country flag
Injen is not even worth mentioning. Do some search there is enough data out there. To give you a hand look on fb type r groups everything is there.
Yes, again, it would be good to get a good one stop has done all, on same car dyno etc as the true comparison.. There are other names out there, which I have not included - but hopefully you get the gist of what I am trying to say :)
Sponsored

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes, again, it would be good to get a good one stop has done all, on same car dyno etc as the true comparison.. There are other names out there, which I have not included - but hopefully you get the gist of what I am trying to say :)
Oh yea I do but, I would be impressed if they invest in all those intakes for a test that is not worth the amount of power it gives.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Can this be released already?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I'm curious what tweaks PRL has made to this design that allow it to best the similar designs from Mishimoto and Injen. I've read that those intakes have shown decreased performance once the ECU adjusts and the heat rises.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm curious what tweaks PRL has made to this design that allow it to best the similar designs from Mishimoto and Injen. I've read that those intakes have shown decreased performance once the ECU adjusts and the heat rises.
where did you read that

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
where did you read that
I'd have to dig for it. I had come across a few sources previously (both here and in Youtube dyno videos) that had shown that as the ECU adjusts, the power figures dropped back to stock (or in a few cases, below stock). I believe that the lastest video that I saw showed that the Injen intake was subject to this.

I suppose that I'm just wondering what differentiates this new intake from Injen, Mishimoto, or even the stock airbox? I have PRL's Cobra on my SI, which extends down into the wheel well - I'm curious why they switched to a short ram with a heat shield for the Type R?

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd have to dig for it. I had come across a few sources previously (both here and in Youtube dyno videos) that had shown that as the ECU adjusts, the power figures dropped back to stock (or in a few cases, below stock). I believe that the lastest video that I saw showed that the Injen intake was subject to this.

I suppose that I'm just wondering what differentiates this new intake from Injen, Mishimoto, or even the stock airbox? I have PRL's Cobra on my SI, which extends down into the wheel well - I'm curious why they switched to a short ram with a heat shield for the Type R?
I honestly dont think any intake can help that much...but when you mentioned those dyno vids showing lower numbers after a while...couldn't it be heat soak to the IC also...given that they really aren't driving it and just using fans? Just so many factors honestly.

As for injen, I believe that has to be the worst since it didn't protect against as much heat.

Either way, guess we'll see. Be great if someone did some serious comparisons with all kinds of scenarios..but who's got time/money for that, lol.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag

The Type R has a very good set up for the stock airbox so we felt its best not to redesign the wheel, but rather improve upon it with our intake with the largest airbox design available to allow the most airflow possible (less restrictive) around the filter material, plus a MAF design that you can be confident will be in line with Honda OEM fuel trims. :)

Last edited:

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
I had the Cobra intake on my 17 Si. Will this also go down as far behind the wheel? I recently moved to an area that can flood frequently and am trying to avoid something that can hydrolock as easily (not the the Cobra ever did to me. it was great!)

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RR CTR, Civic SI-2008 sedan
Country flag
Fyi, As side note as for intakes effecting especially with tune, Vivid racing claims with their tune for ctr, it will not alter nor have any ill affect even after adding any mods ie intake, exhaust etc.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/vivid-racing-eventuri-carbon-intake-special-offer.32132/
"Performance Increase : 14-20hp, 22-29ft-lb
V-Box Acceleration : 60-130mph Reduced By 1.2 Seconds"

vs :
Mishimoto:
  • Direct fit for the 2017+ Honda Civic Type R
  • Provides max gains of 16.7 whp / 20.1 wtq while maintaining safe A/F ratios
  • 42% increase in flow over the stock intake system
  • No tune required
  • Silicone elbow eliminates restrictions and improves and increases airflow capacity
  • Extremely aggressive intake tone under acceleration
  • Precision-adjusted CNC aluminum MAF housing allows for better flow
  • Powder-coated black airbox keeps unwanted hot air from entering the air filter
  • Mishimoto high-flow oiled air filter receives maximum airflow from the front of the vehicle
  • All black mounting equipment retains OEM+ aesthetic under the hood
  • Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty

oh and please make sure it's CA exempt for us Californias too Tks.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
where did you read that
Overall the ECU is designed to protect itself there wont
Fyi, As side note as for intakes effecting especially with tune, Vivid racing claims with their tune for ctr, it will not alter nor have any ill affect even after adding any mods ie intake, exhaust etc.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/vivid-racing-eventuri-carbon-intake-special-offer.32132/

vs :
Mishimoto:
  • No tune required
  • Silicone elbow eliminates restrictions and improves and increases airflow capacity
  • Powder-coated black airbox keeps unwanted hot air from entering the air filter
  • Mishimoto high-flow oiled air filter receives maximum airflow from the front of the vehicle

vs :
Mishimoto:
  • No tune required

There is no way the mishimoto intake will give you 20wtq I have to laugh at this. ECU will learn any mod you put on and adjust itself. Best mod per monney for a stock ctr is intercooler and catless downpipe if you dont want to touch the ECU.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
As with the Stage 1 intake, I'll be jumping on the intake(s) for the BTurismo Type R as soon as possible to get to the dyno at IMW. Not sure if I'll have it any earlier than anyone else, but I'll try.
I won't have any other intakes available to test against but I can at least show the before-and-after on the same day most likely.

I don't know any more info than you guys do!

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As with the Stage 1 intake, I'll be jumping on the intake(s) for the BTurismo Type R as soon as possible to get to the dyno at IMW. Not sure if I'll have it any earlier than anyone else, but I'll try.
I won't have any other intakes available to test against but I can at least show the before-and-after on the same day most likely.

I don't know any more info than you guys do!
Would you be willing to drive the car around for a bit after install but before your "after" dyno to demonstrate the gains after the ECU has had time to adjust?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Would you be willing to drive the car around for a bit after install but before your "after" dyno to demonstrate the gains after the ECU has had time to adjust?
Ooh good point. I'd like to but I might have to pay for that time to hold the dyno open for when I get back... I'll try to work that out with IMW.
Sponsored