PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
With the stock inlet, it was a little more than an hour including assembly of parts before getting into the engine bay. The most time was due to the hose, but I loosened up the inlet bolts to give it some play.

Reinstallation for putting on the titanium inlet was much easier due to being able to break it all down into pieces.

More than 2 months in and I still have all my side panel screws! Didn't use loctite I just uggaduggad the every living crap out of the screws with my impact. (Slowly to not strip out the heads)
Sponsored

Kane301

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru STi Limited
Country flag
To be honest I have no idea.

1. I installed Intake
2. Car cranked but didnt start (tried 3 more times)
3. I reinstalled stock intake
4. Car cranked but didnt start
5. It's the next day now
6. Randomly decide to start the car. It worked!
7. I reinstalled PRL intake
8. Car started for about 5 seconds then died

Took it to the shop 48 hours later, was informed that they cleaned injectors as it was filled with gas. Car started fine after that, all error codes gone.

I have no idea lol
I know someone mentioned that if you didn't turn Rev Match back on on the System settings, that would prevent the car from turning on after an Intake Install.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I know someone mentioned that if you didn't turn Rev Match back on on the System settings, that would prevent the car from turning on after an Intake Install.
Not true in my case. I installed the HVI and the car started immediately.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Did anybody else struggle HARD to get the silicone inlet hose on? I thought I was gonna break something for sure.

Ended up having to wiggle to pull the lower grommet free to give me more wiggle room.

Willboz1_R

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Country flag
Any word on this becoming CARB legal? Curious to know.
me too. But I think I read somewhere they are not considering because of the cost. I hope it has changed though.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
after routing the MAF sensor wire under the intake box, putting the intake box into the car, and plugging in the wire, there is a decent amount of slack in the wire (it can easily sway back and forth)

Should it be fastened to something or is this cool?

incinerator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 1997 Del Sol Si
Country flag
Installed without a hitch. Well, almost. Couldn't find the #8 worm clamp, not sure whether I didn't get one or if the tiny thing rolled away somewhere. So I begrudgingly re-used the factory clamp with the stupid headless screw o_O

Edit: yep there it is on my doormat, idiot confirmed

Last edited:

AnotherFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 C.W '18
Country flag
Installed in just over an hour! Hondata next, should bring the intake to life a bit more.

Presumed to be because of the disconnected battery, the car would crank but wouldn't start. Turned ignition/elec off, reset, started to an array of dash lights/warnings. Drove the car for 20/30 miles and did a full reset once again. No issues after that!

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Nobody told me that my fuel economy was gonna go down the drain because I can’t shift under 5k anymore

Sloth4urluv

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Anyone else with the PRL HVI and Hondata willing to post some datalogs?
I am trying to find out if my Long Term Fuel Trims are lining up with everyone elses or if I have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide L-Trim
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide S-Trim

Seems kind of high at the low end of the spectrum.
If my trims line up with what everyone else is seeing I can try to come up with a calibration to tune the MAF for the new housing.

Datalogs should be of varied driving conditions.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Anyone else with the PRL HVI and Hondata willing to post some datalogs?
I am trying to find out if my Long Term Fuel Trims are lining up with everyone elses or if I have a vacuum leak somewhere.

L-Trim.png
S-Trim.png

Seems kind of high at the low end of the spectrum.
If my trims line up with what everyone else is seeing I can try to come up with a calibration to tune the MAF for the new housing.

Datalogs should be of varied driving conditions.
Those +3-5% fuel trims look spot on within spec. We saw STFT within+2-4% during initial testing, which will correlate to LTFT. Keep in mind that the factory intake system mirrors these fuel trims as well, as it was designed in and around European fueling.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...-r-fk8-high-volume-intake-system.31751/page-6

Sloth4urluv

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Given the feedback so far I decided to take a stab at calibrating the AFM.
Over lunch I wrote some software to correlate the L.trim vs AFM.v and compute the statistical average and then interpolate between the data points and update the AFM table.

I generated two tables that are 50% compensated and 100% compensated.

************************* I HAVE NOT HAD A CHANCE TO TRY THEM YET *************************

The table I updated is from Hondata, I do not know if it lines up with the table in Ktuner.

If you wish to try them I would advise generating a XY graph for L.trim vs AFM.v first and check to see if it roughly lines up with my graph.

I will try and test this possibly today or this weekend and report back with my findings.

More datalogs from other users will help me generate a more accurate calibration.
Sponsored

Attachments