Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
THREE good reasons:

Stock hoses have 1 Ply of reinforcement brading, made out of rubber (which is prone to fatigue) and the 1 Ply rubber will absorb/transfer heat.
An excellent benefit to long term peace of mind.

Example of what happens to underrated/lower reinforcement tubing on FI engines:

(That video may bring a laugh or two)
you mentioned an example of underrated/lower reinforcement tubing on FI engines...but that was a coupler...not a tube like the OEM parts.

The PRL kit looks nice, but without us going above 400hp...is it really necessary? And I'm curious of lag also with those larger diameters.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
you mentioned an example of underrated/lower reinforcement tubing on FI engines...but that was a coupler...not a tube like the OEM parts.

The PRL kit looks nice, but without us going above 400hp...is it really necessary? And I'm curious of lag also with those larger diameters.
PM sent bud...

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag
That's A LOT of silicone LOL
Why did you choose to use some much silicone hoses in place of metal?
My evo is fully metal with the exception of the couplers. Expand or not, metal won't expand and if you're worried about heat soak ceramic coat them, or lava wrap them.

best intercooler i've seen is the Full Race intercooler and piping kit.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's A LOT of silicone LOL
Why did you choose to use some much silicone hoses in place of metal?
My evo is fully metal with the exception of the couplers. Expand or not, metal won't expand and if you're worried about heat soak ceramic coat them, or lava wrap them.

best intercooler i've seen is the Full Race intercooler and piping kit.
Flexibility.
The IC you mention has very large end tanks (turbulance).

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Flexibility.
The IC you mention has very large end tanks (turbulance).
That aside, why do you need that much flexibiliyt; correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t most of the restrictive oe piping metal? At the end of the day any silicone ic piping will fail from heat cycles, vs the metal ic piping. I routinely replace mine the my evo every three years. Plus it keeps things fresh in the bay.
Just my 2cents

I’d pay more for metal. And I want or would prefer your FMIC over full race because I don’t have to replace the bumper beam.

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

You don’t need over 2.5 unless your hunting 750plus. I run 30psi through 2.5 all day in my evo.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That aside, why do you need that much flexibiliyt; correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t most of the restrictive oe piping metal? At the end of the day any silicone ic piping will fail from heat cycles, vs the metal ic piping. I routinely replace mine the my evo every three years. Plus it keeps things fresh in the bay.
Just my 2cents

I’d pay more for metal. And I want or would prefer your FMIC over full race because I don’t have to replace the bumper beam.
Just look at the Charge Pipe design. You will see that the "connecting points" (which are the potential failing points) are casted ends. The hot-side is case and point there.
The slight increase in hose diameter has more to do with "relieving" pressure, than generating more power. Relieving pressure through a line is less heat friction through that line.
Aluminum piping will absorb heat / Silicone is an insulator. If by chance, someone is running 400*deg IAT1 temps - something is truly amiss with the system efficiency.

Side Note:
Stock Evo IX compression is 8.8 / Stock Civic Type-R is 9.8
Increased compression ratios increase the brake power, brake thermal efficiency, brake mean effective pressure and reduction in the specific fuel consumption. It means that higher compression ratios make it possible to improve the performance characteristics of spark ignition engines.
So, comparing what you have achieved on the Evo is not relative to the Type-R.

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Just look at the Charge Pipe design. You will see that the "connecting points" (which are the potential failing points) are casted ends. The hot-side is case and point there.
The slight increase in hose diameter has more to do with "relieving" pressure, than generating more power. Relieving pressure through a line is less heat friction through that line.
Aluminum piping will absorb heat / Silicone is an insulator. If by chance, someone is running 400*deg IAT1 temps - something is truly amiss with the system efficiency.

Side Note:
Stock Evo IX compression is 8.8 / Stock Civic Type-R is 9.8
Increased compression ratios increase the brake power, brake thermal efficiency, brake mean effective pressure and reduction in the specific fuel consumption. It means that higher compression ratios make it possible to improve the performance characteristics of spark ignition engines.
So, comparing what you have achieved on the Evo is not relative to the Type-R.
I have to agree with the Evo guy when it comes to piping. I had a Evo 9 for 7 years and raced the hell out if it and i was running a 4 inch intercooler and hard piping from ETS with a 6262 turbo that ran 30 psi on the street.I love PRL products but i would prefer hard piping over any silicon tubing. To me it just looks tacky and i would prefer hard piping.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I have to agree with the Evo guy when it comes to piping. I had a Evo 9 for 7 years and raced the hell out if it and i was running a 4 inch intercooler and hard piping from ETS with a 6262 turbo that ran 30 psi on the street.I love PRL products but i would prefer hard piping over any silicon tubing. To me it just looks tacky and i would prefer hard piping.
I agree, which is why I’ll just get someone to custom make hard pipes for me soon.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
I agree, which is why I’ll just get someone to custom make hard pipes for me soon.
There are options for hard pipes. HKS and aFe come to mind.

koochieman

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Civic Sedan, 2018 Black CTR
Country flag
interested to see numbers! PRL makes great products so not even tripping.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Good Morning Type R community, to clarify, we are using silicone because hard (metal) charge piping retains more heat as to where (and this has been proven many times over) silicone is better at heat dissipation and helps us create a better fitment for this set up. We are excited for you guys to see our new charge pipe kit for the FK8! :)
Sponsored