PRL Motorsports 10th Gen Civic 1.5T High Volume Testing

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
after reading the intro again it states pending "EPA" approval not "CARB".....what the difference? is this piece not CARB approval then?

...does mention CARB approval on their site though....
No. The PRL High Flow Downpipe with the GESI catalytic converter core is not CARB approved.
Not CARB approved until you can see the EO #(s) in CARB's database. It's only 49-state legal because EPA legal means 49-state legal except for California. The nuance to that rule is some states even model the smog check after California which you need to check all rules for the state you live in. If it's CARB approved, it's EPA approved unless it's specifically EPA approved with a valid number from the EPA.

I live in California. I cannot buy that downpipe/catalytic converter until it's approved with a CARB EO #.
Sponsored

curlichfc1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
saw this review on prl site. anyone with this install have same problem? question i would have is if so, does this defeat the purpose of being CARB exempt since you need to calibrate ecu? after reading the intro again it states pending "EPA" approval not "CARB".....what the difference? is this piece not CARB approval then?
1646709924033.png

...does mention CARB approval on their site though....
I had run my prl high volume downpipe on factory tune for well over 500 miles with no check engine light, I am currently on a 93 custom tune with nothing disabled to do with the cat, @Los1391 no it does not, the defouler/O2 spacer is designed poorly my mechanic said maybe 10% of those v2’s would pass emissions without throwing a code on factory tune, once you disable a sensor it gets sketchy where I am you can’t have disabled sensors.

aznguy1992

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2018 Sedan
Country flag
I've had it for about a month or so. No CEL here with nothing disabled. If it doesn't pass smog for me in Cali. It's fine for me to put back on the oem for testing as it's pretty simple to do.

aznguy1992

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No. The PRL High Flow Downpipe with the GESI catalytic converter core is not CARB approved.
Not CARB approved until you can see the EO #(s) in CARB's database. It's only 49-state legal because EPA legal means 49-state legal except for California. The nuance to that rule is some states even model the smog check after California which you need to check all rules for the state you live in. If it's CARB approved, it's EPA approved unless it's specifically EPA approved with a valid number from the EPA.

I live in California. I cannot buy that downpipe/catalytic converter until it's approved with a CARB EO #.
You can buy it I live in Cali.

curlichfc1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

What @aznguy1992 said, I live in mass passed state inspection and was told I would pass smog as well it’s not epa approved yet but prl is adamant it will be soon.

aznguy1992

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What @aznguy1992 said, I live in mass passed state inspection and was told I would pass smog as well it’s not epa approved yet but prl is adamant it will be soon.
Yes I am hoping it passes by then as the car still have a few years before it has to be smogged.

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback
Haha. Same with their CAI. Process of getting approved but nothing concrete as of yet. So I'm holding off on both. Too bad 27won is not interested in getting their CAI CARB approved, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
You can buy it I live in Cali.
I can, but I rather wait for the EO# instead of spending a few hours to switch parts because the tester failed visual for seeing a nonstandard catalytic converter. I'm assuming the tester is knowledgeable.

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Are any of you guys retuning after installing the downpipe?
I think phearable doesnt require a retune?

curlichfc1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Are any of you guys retuning after installing the downpipe?
I think phearable doesnt require a retune?
I got retuned just because I was on a custom tune sent a data log was told we could change somethings, couldn’t tell ya if I lost power or gained power any feels identical. If you are on an ots tune I wouldn’t worry about it I ran two different downpipes before the high volume downpipe on tsp1 never had issues wouldn’t see why the high volume downpipe would be any different.

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
I got retuned just because I was on a custom tune sent a data log was told we could change somethings, couldn’t tell ya if I lost power or gained power any feels identical. If you are on an ots tune I wouldn’t worry about it I ran two different downpipes before the high volume downpipe on tsp1 never had issues wouldn’t see why the high volume downpipe would be any different.
good to know, thanks!

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dang this is your third aftermarket downpipe? Which did you prefer/ not prefer? Why did you keep changing? This high volume catted might be better than my rv6 catted but I don't think I'll bother reinstalling and trying to sell the rv6. What's your opinion since you tried so many?

curlichfc1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Dang this is your third aftermarket downpipe? Which did you prefer/ not prefer? Why did you keep changing? This high volume catted might be better than my rv6 catted but I don't think I'll bother reinstalling and trying to sell the rv6. What's your opinion since you tried so many?
I’ll give some context too, I have the awe track exhaust so that alone was already aggressive, I got the prl catless downpipe and hated how it sounded it was so raspy and obnoxious I couldn’t drive it without cringing like 2 months of having it I sold it and got the prl v2 catted dp and was super happy with how it sounded perfect tone no rasp and was still loud as hell, I ended up throwing a code with both of catted and catless and couldn’t pass emissions even with the sensor disabled and I looked at forums to see and tried everything and kept throwing the code, Here I am with my 3rd aftermarket cat and am finally happy, the high volume downpipe is giving me the same amount of sound maybe even a little bit better quality of sound then the v2 at higher rpms definitely the best option and I passed emissions on the factory tune something I couldn’t do with either prl catless or prl v2

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Haha. Same with their CAI. Process of getting approved but nothing concrete as of yet. So I'm holding off on both. Too bad 27won is not interested in getting their CAI CARB approved, I would buy that in a heartbeat.
Weird thing is you can still buy the 27WON CAI if you are from California. You just have to put the stock intake back in when it's time for a smog check which can be annoying. Only other issue is being careful with under the hood inspections by "others" aside from the smog checkers.

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
the downpipe is still sitting in my trunk as I haven't found time to do the install yet, but hopefully in the next 2 weeks I can get you all some photos and sound clips!
Sponsored