PRL Motorsports 1.5T Cold Air Intake Development / Pre-Order

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
There’s a video on YouTube, just watched it today
2nd that... go on YouTube everyone. There's more people out there than just on this forum. But again, it's not super loud and what everyone hears outside the car as that boost builds is different than inside. It's kinda nice though it's not annoying it's more subtle and refined, and the boost sound is pretty loud. The idle and lower rpm is only slightly louder. If all you want is the louder sound, maybe a short ram would be better, I personally am going for functional/performance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
It's pretty quiet at idle, a little noticeable with a rev, can hear it mostly under boost as the turbo spools. Someone with a good go pro should get a video. It's pretty cool. It was a bitch to get the old airbox out, I'm never putting that POS back in. I wanted to cut it up for about 5 mins. It's amazing how well fit for the space the cobra is. I only had about an inch of clearance between the fog light clip and the filter. They couldn't have made it any bigger even if they wanted to.
:D Yes, our intake is a very tight, yet comfortable fit. We literally used up as much space as possible.

Yeah I just have my phone haha. So it's pretty hard to video while shifting ... safely anyways! I can say that the engine has a much deeper grunt when accelerating and the sound when you let off the gas is awesome!! Even if you're only hitting a few pounds of boost it's just great.

I can attest I wanted to kill the lower part of that stock airbox as well. Definitely the hardest part of the install. The brackets are pretty tight ... maybe it was just mine, but I had a hard time getting the rotomolded lower and upper bracket holes lined up just right on the chassis. I got them it just took some loosening and tightening of the bolts.

All in all it was a very easy install. The pieces are all very high quality. I especially liked the receiving grooves inside of the silicone hoses, a very nice touch that made the fitment of the hoses to the MAF and rotomolded piece a breeze.
All in all, can't beat good old fashion R&D from a company we all know to make high quality well thought out parts. Now whenever you guys are ready I'll take that FMIC too :dance:
Thanks for the kind words! We recommend keeping all connections loose until the fitment is proper, as the rotomolded piece and brackets are a very tight fit. We too, though that the silicone lips were a nice touch. ;)

I was surprised there where no bushings , that's new to me on an intake.
Our prototype design had rubber bushings implemented into the bracketry. However, being that roughly 50% of the intake system's design is silicone hose, we found that we could hard mount the lower rotmolded piece and air filter because the silicone hose(s) allowed enough flex.

PRL - I am now thinking of purchasing this Injen hydroshield for extra protection. Besides wrapping your product with an Injen logo, are there any other cons to using this?
At this time we have no experience or testing with hydroshields for this intake system. If you would like our current filter size we can provide this information.

Received mine yesterday a day early and installed it right away. This thing sounds fantastic. Thanks to those that recommended me to remove the boomba BOV. The intake sounds a 100 times better then the bov. I also just wanted to add that I used the installation guide on the PRL website and realized during installation that there may be a step that is missing (at least I did not notice it). After removing the pain in the butt dampener, there is no mention of removing the bracket that it is attached to. I figured this out later when I found it very difficult to mount the rotomolded intake piece. Seems like without removing that bracket the rotomolded intake piece will not sit right. I hope this is correct info and it helps anyone who still needs to install. I can try to add a pic later of the bracket but im sure youll know which one im talking about.

Again thanks PRL. Great product.
Thanks for the input. Good catch, we will add this! Did you try leaving the brackets and entire system loose until everything was positioned correctly? It is a very tight fit.

Still no videos?
There are quite a few on the 10th Gen Facebook pages and I believe 2 or 3 on Youtube.

Phylanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 CRV, '17 Si Sedan
Country flag
Just installed and loving the turbo sounds inside the cabin. I have a feeling my MPG will go down a bit :).

Definitely take off the skid plate, makes removing the two bolts to the lower dampener much easier. Thanks PRL for a great product. I raised the front and placed it on jackstands. Gave me enough room to remove the skid plate and having to tighten, loosen bolts underneath.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Cold Air Intake Development / Pre-Order IMG_20171216_104342

Ih8dayanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring, 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Country flag
:D Yes, our intake is a very tight, yet comfortable fit. We literally used up as much space as possible.

Thanks for the kind words! We recommend keeping all connections loose until the fitment is proper, as the rotomolded piece and brackets are a very tight fit. We too, though that the silicone lips were a nice touch. ;)

Our prototype design had rubber bushings implemented into the bracketry. However, being that roughly 50% of the intake system's design is silicone hose, we found that we could hard mount the lower rotmolded piece and air filter because the silicone hose(s) allowed enough flex.

At this time we have no experience or testing with hydroshields for this intake system. If you would like our current filter size we can provide this information.

Thanks for the input. Good catch, we will add this! Did you try leaving the brackets and entire system loose until everything was positioned correctly? It is a very tight fit.

There are quite a few on the 10th Gen Facebook pages and I believe 2 or 3 on Youtube.

Ih8dayanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you give the size of the air filter? I am also looking into hydroshield but there are so many I don't know the actual size. Thanks

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally got my PRL CAI and installed it 20 mins ago. gonna take it for a drive soon. also i am not sure if anyone posted this, but for CVT users, in the 3rd pic there are 2 plugs ( a blue and gray) right next to the CVT warmer, unplugging those make its a little easier to remove the lower box and will also prevent damage to those plugs. took me almost 30mins to remove that last piece of the resonator

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Cold Air Intake Development / Pre-Order 20171219_111109 Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Cold Air Intake Development / Pre-Order 20171219_130155 Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Cold Air Intake Development / Pre-Order 20171219_115421

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
heres a before and after,

IAT's are about 15-20 degrees lower with the CAI installed

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Cold Air Intake Development / Pre-Order upload_2017-12-19_16-59-3

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Cold Air Intake Development / Pre-Order upload_2017-12-19_16-58-0

CivicX_Si_VTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2015 Lexus RC350
Country flag

Ih8dayanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag