1.5T PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
@PRL Motorsports When you did the dyno testing for the big .86 a/r housing how far did you rev the car to? Essentially a lot of people are starting to notice that things can break easier having so much power down low, so thus putting the bigger turbo on shifting the power and torque to the right side. I’m just wondering how much more to the right it can go. Do you know the how far you can safely put the limiter/cutoff at?

Example: 8th gen civic si, safety can rev to 8k+ and makes power and keeps going.

Is this a possible power curve to achieve on this platform with the correct size turbocharger? I know upgraded valve train and possibly internals would be required for soemthing serious but like I said was just wondering if you had any insight of the limits for daily use.
My understanding is that these cars make the power down low and mid range and starts to fall up top, which is the point of these upgrades. We want to power to keep climbing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag

In case anyone missed, here is some footage of our car on the street! ;)

@PRL Motorsports When you did the dyno testing for the big .86 a/r housing how far did you rev the car to? Essentially a lot of people are starting to notice that things can break easier having so much power down low, so thus putting the bigger turbo on shifting the power and torque to the right side. I’m just wondering how much more to the right it can go. Do you know the how far you can safely put the limiter/cutoff at?

Example: 8th gen civic si, safety can rev to 8k+ and makes power and keeps going.

Is this a possible power curve to achieve on this platform with the correct size turbocharger? I know upgraded valve train and possibly internals would be required for soemthing serious but like I said was just wondering if you had any insight of the limits for daily use.
My understanding is that these cars make the power down low and mid range and starts to fall up top, which is the point of these upgrades. We want to power to keep climbing.
We have been revving the car to 7200 RPM, you can see this in the dyno graphs. @KTuner had to do quite a bit of background coding to allow us to safely rev the car out this far. At this time we do not see a need to rev any farther as the stock cams seem to be out of efficiency and we are not sure how the valvetrain or rod bolts will take it. Though the future looks promising for internals for the 1.5T, these cars will never rev or flow like a K20; it's just how these engines were designed.

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
would the valves just be floating then? or is it just a camming issue?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So why did you guys chose to use the .64 and .86 A/R Turbine instead of the .57 A/r ? Because of the V-band ?

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really? Idk it looked really slow tbh for 400whp, is it because of no traction?
Slow lol they were hitting probably past 100 in a really fast time and yeah street tires is no bueno lol

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
would the valves just be floating then? or is it just a camming issue?
As of right now we are not experiencing any valve float issues. The engine/cams are out of efficiency where we're at.

So why did you guys chose to use the .64 and .86 A/R Turbine instead of the .57 A/r ? Because of the V-band ?
Correct, the .57 A/R housing is not compatible for this reason.

She rips!! I love it! ;):thumbsup::love::drive::patriot:
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Really? Idk it looked really slow tbh for 400whp, is it because of no traction?
Slow lol they were hitting probably past 100 in a really fast time and yeah street tires is no bueno lol
I mean, that's how a full-weight, 400 horsepower FWD car on street tires moves haha. It's not exactly a "fast" "racecar," but it gets the job done. ;)

tylermatt03

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
So if I already have the Cobra Air Intake, Fp,Dp and intercooler and get the GTX3071 with .82 housing with everything else stock. Would that work and how much of a gain would I see?

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
So if I already have the Cobra Air Intake, Fp,Dp and intercooler and get the GTX3071 with .82 housing with everything else stock. Would that work and how much of a gain would I see?
Yes it will work, and you’ll see a impressive gain, run 93 octane if you can’t get E85 to do blends. Get a custom tune of course for max benefits and performance gains.

tylermatt03

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes it will work, and you’ll see a impressive gain, run 93 octane if you can’t get E85 to do blends. Get a custom tune of course for max benefits and performance gains.
How much hp do you think I would get from this setup?

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
The current DP won't work a new one will be supplied with the new turbo kit. Also that turbo is good for 650whp+ lol you won't see that off the bat though you're going to be limited by fuel and internals. I'd question if the turbo would run out of it's efficiency range since fueling would need to be upgraded and at this time no one has released an upgrade yet. You'd also see a whole boatload of lag with that A/R housing on such a big turbo. Once more upgrades hit the market though sky is the limit that thing will be a monster! Haha

tylermatt03

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The current DP won't work a new one will be supplied with the new turbo kit. Also that turbo is good for 650whp+ lol you won't see that off the bat though you're going to be limited by fuel and internals. I'd question if the turbo would run out of it's efficiency range since fueling would need to be upgraded and at this time no one has released an upgrade yet. You'd also see a whole boatload of lag with that A/R housing on such a big turbo. Once more upgrades hit the market though sky is the limit that thing will be a monster! Haha
Ok thanks for the help

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
Ok thanks for the help
Np man I ordered the kit with a GTX2860R .64 a/r that turbo is still good for 450-475 and was recommended for stock internals motors ..I'll prob build it further down the road but should be plenty of fun! I'd assume on pump gas I'll see around 360-380 somewhere based on PRLs findings
Sponsored