PRL Intercooler Test Results

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
We had the chance to test PRL's new Type R intercooler on the VitR and the results were very pleasing! Better power with less boost, and much better inlet air temps with stronger consistency!

Full results on our blog: http://blog.vittuned.com/vitr-scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel/

Some video of our runs:
Sponsored

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much Torque were you pushing with just the PRL FMIC on pump gas?
There was no slippage of the clutch when you were at 400TQ?
So, with regular pump gas, what was the max you could push it before it strained the Fuel pump? We have 93 octane here in the midwest, and it is pretty prevalent. Sunoco used to have 94.
Thanks for the update VIT!

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
We were at about 320tq on 92 and 340ish tq on E35 previously.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
would 93 octane be less strain on the fuel system than E35?

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
It's all relative to fuel volume. Once you need that extra fuel on 93 (read: mods, boost), you're going to hit the same limit. Secondary injection is going to be a must.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How did the clutch fare when you all were at 400 torque?

Also, what percentage would you think the Fuel pump is stock? 75% of max?

Lastly, with the Motec, are there safeguards built in to keep it from leaning out too much? Maybe retard the timing a bit automatically?

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
It's all relative to fuel volume. Once you need that extra fuel on 93 (read: mods, boost), you're going to hit the same limit. Secondary injection is going to be a must.
It's about a 10% difference in fuel volume from from Pump to E35. The difference in power is also pretty close at ~9%. 93 may add a slight bit of headroom that 92 wouldn't. Bottom line 390WHP is around the limit of the stock fuel system. Good cooling mods and 93 could see 400WHP in the right conditions.

It's also worth pointing out that the Type R is using significantly higher DI Fuel pressures than other DIT platforms.

Last edited:

wassen

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very impressive figures, thanks for the good tests and analysis!

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
How did the clutch fare when you all were at 400 torque?

Also, what percentage would you think the Fuel pump is stock? 75% of max?

Lastly, with the Motec, are there safeguards built in to keep it from leaning out too much? Maybe retard the timing a bit automatically?
We have any failsafe you can imagine -- fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, lambda (lean protect) and on and on...

It's about a 10% difference in fuel volume from from Pump to E35. The difference in power is also pretty close at ~9%. 93 may add a slight bit of headroom that 92 wouldn't. Bottom line 390WHP is around the limit of the stock fuel system. Good cooling mods and 93 could see 400WHP in the right conditions.

It's also worth pointing out that the Type R is using significantly higher DI Fuel pressures than other DIT platforms.
The Type R has D/I pressures that are comparable to everything else out there -- about 20MPa from the factory. New WRX is 18MPa, etc.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
We have any failsafe you can imagine -- fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, lambda (lean protect) and on and on...

The Type R has D/I pressures that are comparable to everything else out there -- about 20MPa from the factory. New WRX is 18MPa, etc.
I was comparing to the 22.5 MPa your were targeting/hitting (periodically) in your blog. While modded, is still significantly higher than the 18 MPa, the highest modded target I've seen in any log on the FA20. Over 23% difference. 3260 vs 2650.

Keep up the good work. I followed your work with PRL on the FA20. Definitely coming your way when/if we get the stock ECU sorted.

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I was comparing to the 22.5 MPa your were targeting/hitting (periodically) in your blog. While modded, is still significantly higher than the 18 MPa, the highest modded target I've seen in any log on the FA20. Over 23% difference. 3260 vs 2650.

Keep up the good work. I followed your work with PRL on the FA20. Definitely coming your way when/if we get the stock ECU sorted.
Yes the FA20 can't hold more than 18MPa reliably. I tried 20mpa+ and that worked on gas, but you peg out the D/I pump and it starts to drop to 16MPa on ethanol blends...

The Type R we're obviously targeting more as we're pushing the platform, which is actually hitting some limitations as on the E36 blend fuel we're dropping to 19-20MPA (stock) anyway. Ultimately we'll probably end up running it in the 18-20 area after adding secondary injection.

I've done as high as 25MPa on the Type R. FYI. Haven't burst anything ;)

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Yes the FA20 can't hold more than 18MPa reliably. I tried 20mpa+ and that worked on gas, but you peg out the D/I pump and it starts to drop to 16MPa on ethanol blends...

The Type R we're obviously targeting more as we're pushing the platform, which is actually hitting some limitations as on the E36 blend fuel we're dropping to 19-20MPA (stock) anyway. Ultimately we'll probably end up running it in the 18-20 area after adding secondary injection.

I've done as high as 25MPa on the Type R. FYI. Haven't burst anything ;)
Were you able to hit those pressures down low in the spool up region? I know the FA suffered from lack of fuel in 3-4K range. PRL's (Dave's) E85 car Dyno looked like a roller coaster. Lol.

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Were you able to hit those pressures down low in the spool up region? I know the FA suffered from lack of fuel in 3-4K range. PRL's (Dave's) E85 car Dyno looked like a roller coaster. Lol.
Don't quote me, but I believe so. It's been a looong time since I've had the WRX. Usually the dynos look like a roller coaster in that region because of unstable boost control (it'll spike and then undershoot to correct).

IHAVEAJEEP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Country flag
I live in Denver, are the fuel demands going to be even higher at high altitude?
Sponsored