PRL Front Pipe and Downpipe weight

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is to answer a question no-one asked. I'm always looking for the weight of any item I purchase (Then I weigh it when I get it). Was looking around on the forum (and elsewhere) and didn't find it. So...

PRL Motorsports Front Pipe (Pipe on the left) and Downpipe (Pipe on the right)
I measured the front pipe and downpipe internal diameter with digital calipers. I measured 2.85" or 72.39mm.
Both pipes were weighed.
Front Pipe weighed 7.41lbs or 3.36kg
Downpipe
(Cat converter) weighed 6.6lbs or 2.99kg
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Front Pipe and Downpipe weight prl-front-pipe-and-down-pipe-

I received both yesterday. Once I get the stock pieces removed, I'll weigh those as well.
Sponsored

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is to answer a question no-one asked. I'm always looking for the weight of any item I purchase (Then I weigh it when I get it). Was looking around on the forum (and elsewhere) and didn't find it. So...

I measured the front pipe and downpipe internal diameter with digital calipers. I measured 2.85" or 72.39mm.
Both pipes were weighed.
Downpipe
prl-front-pipe-and-down-pipe-jpg.jpg

I received both yesterday. Once I get the stock pieces removed, I'll weigh those as well.
@Myx You are the hero that I didn't know I wanted.

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Before the plethora of plebs start out-crying, "I thought this was 3", this is false advertising, etc, etc", know that ALL pipe and/or tubing is always and only referenced by the OD while ALL hose would be only referenced by the ID.

Coming from a background in industrial hydraulic manufacturing/sales, this is the industry standard for measurement. I know some get hung on this and it does get confusing if not familiar with materials.

Any reason for always weighing you items, or just for self knowledge? Just curious. Thanks!

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Before the plethora of plebs start out-crying, "I thought this was 3", this is false advertising, etc, etc", know that ALL pipe and/or tubing is always and only referenced by the OD while ALL hose would be only referenced by the ID.

Coming from a background in industrial hydraulic manufacturing/sales, this is the industry standard for measurement. I know some get hung on this and it does get confusing if not familiar with materials.

Any reason for always weighing you items, or just for self knowledge? Just curious. Thanks!

Weight loss in my cars is a HUGE thing for me. I try to change things that may have multiple impacts on performance. Be it tiny or huge. Although just changing these two parts I may only lose 4lbs here, 5lbs there, I never know when I am done modifying my cars. So when I get some ridiculous (meaning faster/quicker than it should be) 1/4 mile time, I can go back through my personal notes and see if all those small weight losses have had a cumulative affect. Not just the weight loss itself but were in the car the weight was reduced (Front/Rear, wheels, crankshaft, pistons, etc). It's not something I go around talking about. It's self knowledge like you stated above. I use what I learn on future applications. That's why I weigh everything.

BTW: The purpose of these parts are not for weight loss. But it doesn't hurt if they are lighter than stock.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe

Both pipes were weighed.
Downpipe
prl-front-pipe-and-down-pipe-jpg.jpg

Those pipes are beautiful. I decided to go with catted also. :thumbsup: It’s only 5-7hp lose going catless not worth it for me. If we get that bigger drop in turbo though, then I can see going catless being a benefit. But it’s nice to barley notice the smell using HFC.

Reactions: Myx

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dont have a working scale with me, but the stock downpipe is significally heavier then PRL's pipe, the front pipe i could barely tell, maybe 1-2 pounds.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dont have a working scale with me, but the stock downpipe is significally heavier then PRL's pipe, the front pipe i could barely tell, maybe 1-2 pounds.
I felt the same about the dp. I think a lot of it is the portion with the cat wafers. Could be the solid metal on the ends. Compared the PRL Pipe, it felt stockier and more dense.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I am probably wrong but I weighed my stock piece when I removed it. I only have an analog bathroom scale though for things that big so it's not too precise a measurement anyways but 11lbs sounds familiar to me...
Sponsored