PRL Flex Fuel Kit & KTuner Disables... Readiness?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just took my car for PA Inspection. Was told I failed due to "not ready" status on OBD. I know I am allowed one not ready for OBD Emissions... And I have P0420 disabled for my downpipe, which may be my one.

Does anyone know if the required ECU Disables for the flex fuel kit to work would result in further not ready status for emissions?

As far as I can tell, the disables for running the flex fuel kit are specific to ECU Systems and I wouldn't think they are associated with OBD Emissions.

I'd hate to do a 100-150mi drive cycle if it's not going to result in anything different. I'd hate to have to swap pipes back to stock to leave P0420 enabled even more.

I'm headed back to the shop so their master tech can give me some information about which tests, if any after a drive cycle, are reading not-ready. Hopefully the not ready is just because of a recent flash or my battery draining a little bit ago bc COVIDling.

Any experience? PA residents, in particular.
@KTuner ?
How about @PRL Motorsports ? I know yall are local to PA. Is it expected that a car running your downpipe and flex fuel kit may have more than one of the applicable OBD not ready readings? If so, any experince getting an exemption? The station mentioned that, but I figure not having a classic car and driving 2000mi or more annually probably make me intelligible.
Sponsored

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
So do you have a catted or non catted downpipe?

Are you from this planet?

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So do you have a catted or non catted downpipe?

Are you from this planet?
Catted. But I get CEL for P0420 (O2 efficiency).

I'm actually from Titan, but don't find the quality of your Earthling Church Keys to be to my liking just quite yet.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
So why not ask the tech why you failed (monitors not ready Or something else), assuming they taught you English in school on Titan.

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So why not ask the tech why you failed (monitors not ready Or something else), assuming they taught you English in school on Titan.
Because the tech's grasp of the English language rides backseat to a state obd inspection machine flashing a red or green light. I'm sure he know his colors, but not a breakdown of system codes and disables that could be attributed to a particular not ready status.
It's not the job of a mechanic performing a state inspection to navigate the ECU disables for a particular car model to assist an owner who has tuned their vehicle.
Discussing tuning during an inspection doesn't do much to elicit assistance or leniency either.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
So they dont tell you why you failed?

In AZ they tell us in plain English, you failed because.. or we cant test because monitors not ready.

Then they also print you a sheet reiterating what they said, in case one didn’t understand their English.

Then based on the system which failed you know what needs attention. Crazy huh.

Do they give you anything in PA, cuz obviously they dont speak English. And here i assumed it was you who didnt speak a English.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
He said he failed due to the readiness monitors not ready.

Can’t the Ktuner check and see what monitors are not ready? I know Hondata can.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
He said..

Too bad you cant test to fail w monitors not ready, at least in my state. They dont even charge you but tell you to come back when ready.

So did he fail or were monitors not ready? Back to square one and no English..

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i mean .. its not that hard to figure out what he is trying to say. No need to be such an ass for no reason.

the guy took it into a smog shop with 1 readiness not set because he was allowed one.
the smog shop guy told him he "failed" due to it not being ready. Failed probably meaning, the guy can't smog it because the readiness isn't set because like you said, they can't even smog it if its not set.

he wants to know if there are other parameters that are obd2 monitor related that are disabled running flex fuel.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
So why did he fail if he is allowed one monitor not ready then?

Not so clear cut at all unless you like assuming things not explicitly given (or logical).

Its hard to believe he wasnt given anything showing FAIL and what failed.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Flex Fuel Kit & KTuner Disables... Readiness? CB6FCD71-CE7B-497F-8141-2006E0C74DD3

Not given one of these?

Last edited:

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i mean .. its not that hard to figure out what he is trying to say. No need to be such an ass for no reason.

the guy took it into a smog shop with 1 readiness not set because he was allowed one.
the smog shop guy told him he "failed" due to it not being ready. Failed probably meaning, the guy can't smog it because the readiness isn't set because like you said, they can't even smog it if its not set.

he wants to know if there are other parameters that are obd2 monitor related that are disabled running flex fuel.
Yeah. This.
I could have said I didn't pass to have been accurate. Not trying to present anyone with a riddle. In my defense, pass/fail is binary and just like not failing implies passing... Anyway, the sheet says fail, but yeah you're spot-on: I have 30 days to come back for a free retest. I'm gonna wrack up frivolous miles in the next few days and go back midweek to have the master technician tell me explicitly what is reading "not ready" so I can try and figure out the association of that to the disables I have/need for flex fuel compatibility and the catted downpipe. But if I do that just hoping the other disables have nothing to do with it, I'm probably going to have to then pay a shop to remove either my flex fuel kit or the pipes because IIRC after two non-passes (everyone okay with this syntax?) the owner needs to present a maintenance record to show a corrective action was taken. Removing anything is a PITA, but I'm fully capable of doing it on my own.
It's just quicker to have someone who knows reply "nah, the disables for the flex fuel kit have nothing to do with emissions readiness monitors- just get your miles in." Or, tell me otherwise and I swap back to my stock pipe and enable the cat efficiency code... And not pay or have a state record of emissions failure on my car that will lower private resale value.
Better yet, someone confirms the flex fuel compatibility disables 100% have nothing to do with it and this whole 100-150mi drive cycle is bs for a drained battery (like... More than a month ago). In which case, the non-master technician didn't know how to accommodate the permitted _single_ not-ready that flowed through and marked my test as failed. Then, I'd ask for a discount on the price bc it was shop error that resulted in my time being wasted and only certified technicians are allowed to run inspections, so if the tech couldn't handle the lawful (single) disable their shop has a compliance problem.
In my mind, it was a while ago that my battery drained. It was also, more recently, that I had reflashed last.
Normally, pre-COVID, I'd have put enough daily miles on, that in a week or two, I'd easily have completed this "drive cycle" I was told about. I don't don't pay close attention to my miles.

It's very uncomfortable not knowing what to do, because I could handle the situation if I had more information.

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So why did he fail if he is allowed one monitor not ready then?

Not so clear cut at all unless you like assuming things not explicitly given (or logical).

Its hard to believe he wasnt given anything showing FAIL and what failed.

CB6FCD71-CE7B-497F-8141-2006E0C74DD3.jpeg

Not given one of these?
I have one. The MIL Bulbs say PASS, the readiness FAIL, and the others in that section say n/a. They were unable to give me details on the FAIL, so I'm left not knowing if they didn't grant the single not-ready or if there were more than one (a legit fail/not-pass).

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Sounds to me, without seeing the sheet and based on what you said, that your monitors werent ready for testing.

Get yourself a 20$ obdii scanner or borrow one and check monitors yourself. As has been said, im surprised ktuner doesnt have the option to read codes and clear them.

Last edited:

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
You can indeed check for errors and OBD status with the KTuner software.

The only advice we can give related to emissions is to flash to factory.

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can indeed check for errors and OBD status with the KTuner software.

The only advice we can give related to emissions is to flash to factory.
Is v2 compatible with diagnostic apps that work with elm?
I'm trying to read the status of monitors while getting the pesky evap system to complete a cycle... I need to know the Temps of various things too and have come to prefer using the KTuner for that.
Sponsored