PRL Flex Fuel Kit & KTuner Disables... Readiness?

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Today I unplugged the flex fuel kit from the radiator and plugged back in the ECT2 Wire. I then adjusted my tune to remove the disable and slow response on ECT2 and reflashed.
I'm really hoping it's now just a matter of putting some miles in to complete a drive cycle ?
At some point, if this is how it'll be for my annual inspection, I'll do a small project to have a wire accept both the ECT2 and Flex Fuel Plugs, and run back to the top of the bay to provide a switch/toggle. This will not only make changeover for inspection hassle-free, but ensure the radiator plug is always populated, preventing corrosion or damage and making a changeover otherwise require a repair or replacement.
The plug in the radiator can be reached by removing the bottom tray like one is changing oil. Hands were a tight fit, but it is a lot less involved than removing the shroud atop the bay.
I'm a little shocked that no one has run into this before. My understanding is that most states don't allow any not-ready monitors and therefore anyone with a flex fuel kit, regardless of other mods, would have this challenge. I would have expected a bkurb in the directions or instructions for installation.
Sponsored

Anonymous Otter

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Today I unplugged the flex fuel kit from the radiator and plugged back in the ECT2 Wire. I then adjusted my tune to remove the disable and slow response on ECT2 and reflashed.
I'm really hoping it's now just a matter of putting some miles in to complete a drive cycle ?
At some point, if this is how it'll be for my annual inspection, I'll do a small project to have a wire accept both the ECT2 and Flex Fuel Plugs, and run back to the top of the bay to provide a switch/toggle. This will not only make changeover for inspection hassle-free, but ensure the radiator plug is always populated, preventing corrosion or damage and making a changeover otherwise require a repair or replacement.
The plug in the radiator can be reached by removing the bottom tray like one is changing oil. Hands were a tight fit, but it is a lot less involved than removing the shroud atop the bay.
I'm a little shocked that no one has run into this before. My understanding is that most states don't allow any not-ready monitors and therefore anyone with a flex fuel kit, regardless of other mods, would have this challenge. I would have expected a bkurb in the directions or instructions for installation.
Did this work out for you?

FEAR26

First Name
eejay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did this work for you? I am having the same issue now with the added inconvenience of the Vegas heat. Any update on the project for the wire and plug?

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry this thread ghosted anyone concerned on the topic. At time of writing, the 10th gen is matured and ethanol mods are not a very recent development. This community is aware how good and durable these cars generally are, the drivetrain is very common across other models, and the cars were produced in volume. So, future owners may come here and find it fresh and relevant to them.

Whether the discussion continues from here or not, I can conclusively report this:

some aspect of what is required for an ethanol-enabled tune results in the evap self-test readiness monitor returning "not ready."

Therefore, various owners ought to bear this in mind. For owners with inspection programs that allow for one "not ready", a flash and swap of the ECT2 lead is needed. Similarly, for areas where one " not ready" is allowed, if you already have a disable for a downpipe or some other thing, the same prescription applies.

I try to time either regular maintenance or a seasonal wheel+tire swap around my annual inspection. In this, at least getting the car ready for inspection isn't its own thing... Still need to revert to what's needed to run ethanol afterward.

I had researched this a couple of years ago, but I don't have links. Regardless, my understanding is that the lack of a valid ranged ECT2 signal (such as when that input is remapped for the ethanol sensor output) causes the evap self-test to never engage. So the monitor reports "not ready."

I still haven't made a switched Y Pigtail. One of these days...
Sponsored