First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport plus 2019
Country flag
Hi
Last few days after I have my ktuner custom tune loaded I have started thinking possible bolt ons. First I will have a Mishimoto intercooler loaded. But what about after or even at the same time with the intercooler.

I am considering replacing my stock downpipe with a PRL 3" one.
This is it
https://hondaperformances.com/gb/pr....html#/146-prl_downpipe-race_downpipe_catless

Is possible power gain worth it?
Will the exhaust be louder?

Thank you for your inputs
Sponsored

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi
Last few days after I have my ktuner custom tune loaded I have started thinking possible bolt ons. First I will have a Mishimoto intercooler loaded. But what about after or even at the same time with the intercooler.

This is it
https://hondaperformances.com/gb/pr....html#/146-prl_downpipe-race_downpipe_catless

Αγωνιστικούς χαιρετισμούς μάστορα....!

Got myself one as well. You can either buy it from hondaperfromances or directly from PRL. I did the latter one, though ebay. They support the global shipping program so no worries about customs charges. Total cost including shipping and customs was 620€. 27WON have a 200cel so I was torn between RV6 and PRL. Both are 300CEL, RV6 does offer coating but I did not want to risk too high import charges. With the global shipping program there are no surprises. Already got the intake and will choose them for the TIP as well.

Power gains are definitely there but ideally you must go for custom tuning. Exhaust noise doesnt change, but there is a bit more growl when you step on it.

Thing is @KTuner hasn't given me the option to disable the slow response errors so the Check Engine Light is a major pain. Hope Ktuner will not leave me high and dry. :cry::bow:

Who is doing your ECU? Gear Tech, Nikiforos or EF9? ΜΟΝΟ HONDA ΛΕΜΕ!

OP
OP
vasilas432

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Αγωνιστικούς χαιρετισμούς μάστορα....!

Got myself one as well. You can either buy it from hondaperfromances or directly from PRL. I did the latter one, though ebay. They support the global shipping program so no worries about customs charges. Total cost including shipping and customs was 620€. 27WON have a 200cel so I was torn between RV6 and PRL. Both are 300CEL, RV6 does offer coating but I did not want to risk too high import charges. With the global shipping program there are no surprises. Already got the intake and will choose them for the TIP as well.

Power gains are definitely there but ideally you must go for custom tuning. Exhaust noise doesnt change, but there is a bit more growl when you step on it.

Thing is @KTuner hasn't given me the option to disable the slow response errors so the Check Engine Light is a major pain. Hope Ktuner will not leave me high and dry. :cry::bow:

Who is doing your ECU? Gear Tech, Nikiforos or EF9? ΜΟΝΟ HONDA ΛΕΜΕ!
Γεια σου πατριώτη!
Angel from Hondasports is tuning my ECU. I am very happy with the map in my ktuner since a week I test it. It is fully customised and retested and fitted for my car. Next week I go for an intercooler and I thought if I could do 2 mods together. I am not sure if I go with the downpipe, I am just checking. I may go for a PRL intake or a turbo upgrade (inside of the turbo 1 size bigger).

I will check on ebay, I have a lot of experience using the Global shipping and I always prefer it. I would definitely avoid a mod with engine light issue though, as I thought it could easily be bypassed within the tune. Thanks for letting me know!

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Γεια σου πατριώτη!
Angel from Hondasports is tuning my ECU. I am very happy with the map in my ktuner since a week I test it. It is fully customised and retested and fitted for my car. Next week I go for an intercooler and I thought if I could do 2 mods together. I am not sure if I go with the downpipe, I am just checking. I may go for a PRL intake or a turbo upgrade (inside of the turbo 1 size bigger).

I will check on ebay, I have a lot of experience using the Global shipping and I always prefer it. I would definitely avoid a mod with engine light issue though, as I thought it could easily be bypassed within the tune. Thanks for letting me know!

You probably have nothing to worry about the Check Engine Light. Your ECU is probably fully supported which means you have the MAF scaling option, the error disabling option and a lot of other possibilities that I do not have access to. I believe that my ECU can be custom tuned as well, but not with the accuracy that is achieved by more options available. The CEL is my only worry. I have not custom tuned yet.

Installing both is the best thing you can do. You will avoid an extra tuning session and take full advantage of both parts. If in case you install an intake at a later stage, you can retune but performance-wise, stock is quite good actually!

Before going for a turbo, tell Angelos to look into the MHI TD03 turbo. Expensive but certainly reliable choice. Also look for the 27WON one. I would not mess around with the stock turbo, performing mods on it and so on. Don't forget about the clutch setup too.

Γαζώνει το civic, απλά ο συμπλέκτης θέλει προσοχή.

OP
OP
vasilas432

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have see you in redliners!!!
Μόνο Honda!!

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi

This is it

Posted dyno charts show a nice power increase across the board. The biggest differences I noticed when I put in a catted RV6 downpipe was that it was a bit louder and turbo lag was much less. Going steadily along at 50 mph in 4th gear it took 2 seconds to reach 10 psi when I went full throttle. After installing the dp it just took 1 second.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Posted dyno charts show a nice power increase across the board. The biggest differences I noticed when I put in a catted RV6 downpipe was that it was a bit louder and turbo lag was much less. Going steadily along at 50 mph in 4th gear it took 2 seconds to reach 10 psi when I went full throttle. After installing the dp it just took 1 second.
From what I 've read in this forum, apart from the obvious ECU modding, the intercooler and the dp are "must do" mods on the 1.5T...

OP
OP
vasilas432

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
From what I 've read in this forum, apart from the obvious ECU modding, the intercooler and the dp are "must do" mods on the 1.5T...
I was just thinking if I would buy the dp but now I understand that I just need to buy it and put it together with the intercooler.

Only Honda!!

OP
OP
vasilas432

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Γεια σου πατριώτη!

Do you know if the down pipe update will need a retune?

Only Honda!!

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you know if the down pipe update will need a retune?

Only Honda!!
You are tuned now right? After you install the DP, you should retune. In theory its not mandatory but definately useful. If you dont want to retune immidiately, you can turn the Check Engine Light off yourself. Better ask Angelos as he is the one who knows what he did exactly to the engine.

OP
OP
vasilas432

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are tuned now right? After you install the DP, you should retune. In theory its not mandatory but definately useful. If you dont want to retune immidiately, you can turn the Check Engine Light off yourself. Better ask Angelos as he is the one who knows what he did exactly to the engine.
I just hope he doesn't want the car at his place. I am on an island.
Thanks a lot for your answer!!

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just hope he doesn't want the car at his place. I am on an island.
Thanks a lot for your answer!!
No worries. I say you call him, he ll probably tell you the same thing: install it, install the IC later and whenever you find the time go to Athens for a retune. Turning the Check Engine Light off is a piece of cake. He ll guide you on how to do it if he has locked his tune file.

OP
OP
vasilas432

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No worries. I say you call him, he ll probably tell you the same thing: install it, install the IC later and whenever you find the time go to Athens for a retune. Turning the Check Engine Light off is a piece of cake. He ll guide you on how to do it if he has locked his tune file.
So you think the Downpipe is even more important than the intercooler?

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you think the Downpipe is even more important than the intercooler?
Well it has to do with where you live. Since we are Greek and heatwaves are common, I d go for the IC first.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Τα πουλάκια μου ...

Intercooler is a must to get consistent power when you step on it on a high performance tune, especially during the summer. I run a tune that is quite aggressive, doing 230whp for more than 1000rpm and my IAT2 is ~20C lower than stock IC. I gained ~8 peak whp on the dyno with the IC (plus some tune changes of course), but got 10-15whp throughout the powerband (4800-6400) and I can run a 60-200km/h with IAT2 being 10C above ambient at most.
My guesstimate is you can gain a few whp (5-7) by installing a downpipe but the performance / price is very low. Definitely need to hear that growl before I can make up my mind :)
I'm also considering a smaller custom made catted 300cps DP/FP combo, 60-63mm max
Sponsored