First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport plus 2019
Country flag
Τα πουλάκια μου ...

Intercooler is a must to get consistent power when you step on it on a high performance tune, especially during the summer. I run a tune that is quite aggressive, doing 230whp for more than 1000rpm and my IAT2 is ~20C lower than stock IC. I gained ~8 peak whp on the dyno with the IC (plus some tune changes of course), but got 10-15whp throughout the powerband (4800-6400) and I can run a 60-200km/h with IAT2 being 10C above ambient at most.
My guesstimate is you can gain a few whp (5-7) by installing a downpipe but the performance / price is very low. Definitely need to hear that growl before I can make up my mind :)
I'm also considering a smaller custom made catted 300cps DP/FP combo, 60-63mm max
Hello friend,
I spoke with my mechanic who also makes my custom tune. He told me that if I put a downpipe without tuning the car accordingly (by reconfiguring my custom ktuner map on the dyno), it may blow up. Mixture may become very rich or very dry. Also that PRL will be loud because it is very very thick. I could do the job with a 63mm custom. When downpiped you have to be frontpiped too.

So I go with an intercooler and an CAI at first and "we see".
Sponsored

Last edited:

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello friend,
I spoke with my mechanic who also makes my custom tune. He told me that if I put a downpipe without tuning the car accordingly (by reconfiguring my custom ktuner map on the dyno), it may blow up. Mixture may become very rich or very dry.

So I go with an intercooler and an CAI at first and "we see".
Its true that the a/f ratio may change significantly. That definately happens when you go for a decat DP. The best way is always to custom tune.

OP
OP
vasilas432

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Its true that the a/f ratio may change significantly. That definately happens when you go for a decat DP. The best way is always to custom tune.
I have edited above. See the new version

OP
OP
vasilas432

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Stock downpipe has a euro 6 emissions catalyst inside. A custom dp can have a euro 5. I have no idea what catalyst the PRL dp has.

I always speak about the street catted dp version.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have edited above. See the new version
The front pipe may help but its not "mandatory". I will probably have a custom made front pipe after I install the DP. The exhaust is definately not mandatory. I have no idea about noise but I do not mind, on the contrary I am actually looking for more noise, especially from the front end! I find it impossible for the aftermarket catalyte to meet Euro emission standards. What I am going to do is ask my tuner to tune accordingly on ECO mode so I can pass the inspection when it comes to it.

OP
OP
vasilas432

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The front pipe may help but its not "mandatory". I will probably have a custom made front pipe after I install the DP. The exhaust is definately not mandatory. I have no idea about noise but I do not mind, on the contrary I am actually looking for more noise, especially from the front end! I find it impossible for the aftermarket catalyte to meet Euro emission standards. What I am going to do is ask my tuner to tune accordingly on ECO mode so I can pass the inspection when it comes to it.
Angelos said to put fp together to avoid issus. Something like frontpipe may become loose. I didn't really understand but the point was to be put as a combo.

If I ever manage to go to Athens then I will have put dp & fp locally and then I enter the boat to Angelos. He needs one day for testing. The same applies if I ever go for turbo upgrade.

Last but not least a clutch master x300 will cost 850 fitted

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Stock downpipe has a euro 6 emissions catalyst inside. A custom dp can have a euro 5. I have no idea what catalyst the PRL dp has.

I always speak about the street catted dp version.
The PRL Street downpipe offers a 300cel catalyst. That should be equivalent to Euro 6, correct?

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The PRL Street downpipe offers a 300cel catalyst. That should be equivalent to Euro 6, correct?
Typically, even a 200cel can meet the Euro6 requirements so it comes down to proper tuning and the longevity of the catalyst. It may be compliant for say 100000km and then fail whilst usually factory ones last longer.

OP
OP
vasilas432

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can’t tell but Angelos sure does. I will ask him.
The case is that for the dp to work you need a fp too so the whole system can be free.

Furthermore if there is a down pipe upgrade without custom tune, then the car may go faster due to “dry” a/f ratio, but the engine may blow off.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
The case is that for the dp to work you need a fp too so the whole system can be free.
You don’t need fp unless you upgrade the turbo to bigger one. Civic Gen 10 exhaust flow should be sufficient for stock turbo.

OP
OP
vasilas432

vasilas432

First Name
Vassilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You don’t need fp unless you upgrade the turbo to bigger one. Civic Gen 10 exhaust flow should be sufficient for stock turbo.
My mechanic said what’s the point to have half way 73mm and the frontpipe at 50mm. It must be all the way free on 73mm

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Typically, even a 200cel can meet the Euro6 requirements so it comes down to proper tuning and the longevity of the catalyst. It may be compliant for say 100000km and then fail whilst usually factory ones last longer.
Good to know, sorry we aren't too in tune with European classifications on things like that!

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My mechanic said what’s the point to have half way 73mm and the frontpipe at 50mm. It must be all the way free on 73mm
This would make sense if the gasses volume was too big for the exhaust. The DP helps mainly with the less restrictive catalyst (or no catalyst at all). The velocity of the gases in combination to the volume produced by the small turbo can be handled by the stock exhaust, which is pretty much straight without too many bends. If you dont like the stock sound, go for an exhaust or completely delete the mufflers. The front pipe could be swapped but not necessarily if all you seek is gains. Honestly if there was an aftermarket bolt-on option available, I d buy it in a heart beat. But I am still torn (although leaning towards to fabricating it) if I should get a custom FP or not. The stock exhaust is perfectly fine for the stock turbo performance-wise.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good to know, sorry we aren't too in tune with European classifications on things like that!
No worries, I ll let you know what the emissions test reads as soon as I install mine! July 9th is not that far and another 2 weeks after that I ll know exactly whats going on!
Sponsored