Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
No more big turbo kits

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL discontinue big turbo kits Screenshot_20220420-102104_Gmail
Sponsored

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
No more big turbo kits

Screenshot_20220420-102104_Gmail.jpg
I think this is a good move, especially considering it can be difficult to get the most out of aftermarket factory fitment turbos the big turbo kits don't make as much sense

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve learned that some of the “other” big name brands are also making “bigger” turbo kits that are mostly just drop ins that act similar to the PRL kit but cost far less.
Like all other things, time will tell.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What are the other big name brands? Not specifically which ones but what other companies do you consider the "big brands" lol. At least as far as 10th gen support I thought it was just the small hand full that actually have complete catalogs

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, already 27Won has two drop-in turbos, RV6 has one, VTT has one coming, there is the Mitsubishi TD03. I guess if Pure did a full drop-in rather than whatever it was they had/have for the 10th gen. My hope, and what seems to be alluded to in the discountinued message, would be that whatever drop-in solution PRL is developing for the 11th Gen would be compatible with the 10th too. Or at least that they are looking at developing a drop-in solution for the 10th alongside what they are doing for the 11th. We'll see.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Well, already 27Won has two drop-in turbos, RV6 has one, VTT has one coming, there is the Mitsubishi TD03. I guess if Pure did a full drop-in rather than whatever it was they had/have for the 10th gen. My hope, and what seems to be alluded to in the discountinued message, would be that whatever drop-in solution PRL is developing for the 11th Gen would be compatible with the 10th too. Or at least that they are looking at developing a drop-in solution for the 10th alongside what they are doing for the 11th. We'll see.

The 11th gen is a twin-scroll turbo though correct? So that wouldn't be backwards compatible i'm guessing?

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I understand correctly they will still develop TC kits but with better fitment?
They will develop drop-in style units, not the "kit" as in like an OTS turbo that is adapted.
10th gen Civic and 11th gen Civic turbos are pretty different. They won't be able to make an 11th gen one that fits the 10th gen. They would need to make 2x whole new units. We are doing what we do best and making a new 11th gen kit based on everything we learned from the 10th gen.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Pure450 IS a drop in. All hybrid turbos are.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
I’ve learned that some of the “other” big name brands are also making “bigger” turbo kits that are mostly just drop ins that act similar to the PRL kit but cost far less.
Like all other things, time will tell.
I've done both. I had a pure450 which was a drop in/hybrid and now on a big frame gtx2860r. Look at it this way, if you have a turbo that is externally stock but behaves and flows like a big turbo on the inside, it would mean the housings will be thinner and more prone to cracks in the housing. Now the W2 is a different story because the housing actually got bigger externally too so obviously the walls aren't as thin but the W2 hardly qualifies as a drop in at this point, it's like halfway a kit and a drop in.
Sponsored