1.5T PRL Cobra Intake - Does it really make a difference? (Results Inside)

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Several weeks ago I ordered the @PRL Motorsports Cobra Cold Air Intake. I will admit that I did not really expect any noticeable performance gains, at least not with the stock turbocharger. I still have the stock turbo and am waiting on the right aftermarket option to become available. Nevertheless, I took the plunge and went with the "Race" sized MAF housing to make sure the setup was future proof. I knew this would require a tune but also knew I'd have plenty of help with that so I was not worried about that part.

The Cobra intake is one of, if not the most expensive intake options currently on the market. As soon as I opened the shipping box it became clear why. PRL clearly took lots of time developing the product, used high quality materials, and took advantage of industry leading manufacturing techniques to produce a very high quality cold air intake for the tenth generation Civic platform. As you can tell, I was very impressed.

However, as much as I can appreciate a great looking, well built product, I was in it for the horsepower gains. I do not have easy access to a dyno in my area, but I have spent a lot of time over the last few months datalogging on the street in a controlled and safe manner. This gave me lots of baseline data to compare the post installation datalogs to. I typically do third gear pulls and amongst other things, keep a close eye on my 60-80MPH times. That will be our benchmark for today. Now for the information that everyone is here for...

After installing the PRL Cobra Cold Air Intake with Race MAF housing, my 60-80MPH time decreased by 0.2 seconds. This may seem like a small number to some, but I can assure you that it is not insignificant. Imagine how much time would be picked up over a full 0-100+ MPH quarter mile run. It is also worth noting that I saw the same 0.2 second gain on my 93 octane tune as well as my E40 (40% ethanol) tune.

I am still dialing in my tune, but wanted to go ahead and share my findings so far. Thank you @PRL Motorsports for offering such a great part!

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Cobra Intake - Does it really make a difference? (Results Inside) IMG_1485.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Cobra Intake - Does it really make a difference? (Results Inside) IMG_1486.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Cobra Intake - Does it really make a difference? (Results Inside) IMG_1487.JPG

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
It is definitely a wonderful intake. How are you liking that clutch. I wanna pull the trigger but sucks when labor is more expensive than clutch lol

Several weeks ago I ordered the @PRL Motorsports Cobra Cold Air Intake. I will admit that I did not really expect any noticeable performance gains, at least not with the stock turbocharger. I still have the stock turbo and am waiting on the right aftermarket option to become available. Nevertheless, I took the plunge and went with the "Race" sized MAF housing to make sure the setup was future proof. I knew this would require a tune but also knew I'd have plenty of help with that so I was not worried about that part.

The Cobra intake is one of, if not the most expensive intake options currently on the market. As soon as I opened the shipping box it became clear why. PRL clearly took lots of time developing the product, used high quality materials, and took advantage of industry leading manufacturing techniques to produce a very high quality cold air intake for the tenth generation Civic platform. As you can tell, I was very impressed.

However, as much as I can appreciate a great looking, well built product, I was in it for the horsepower gains. I do not have easy access to a dyno in my area, but I have spent a lot of time over the last few months datalogging on the street in a controlled and safe manner. This gave me lots of baseline data to compare the post installation datalogs to. I typically do third gear pulls and amongst other things, keep a close eye on my 60-80MPH times. That will be our benchmark for today. Now for the information that everyone is here for...

After installing the PRL Cobra Cold Air Intake with Race MAF housing, my 60-80MPH time decreased by 0.2 seconds. This may seem like a small number to some, but I can assure you that it is not insignificant. Imagine how much time would be picked up over a full 0-100+ MPH quarter mile run. It is also worth noting that I saw the same 0.2 second gain on my 93 octane tune as well as my E40 (40% ethanol) tune.

I am still dialing in my tune, but wanted to go ahead and share my findings so far. Thank you @PRL Motorsports for offering such a great part!

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is definitely a wonderful intake. How are you liking that clutch. I wanna pull the trigger but sucks when labor is more expensive than clutch lol
Very happy with the clutch. I installed it with the help of a friend so I did not have to pay for an expensive installation, thankfully.

Is your intake touching the Radiator hose as well?
It is not. If that is something you running into, I bet you can turn the silicone intake hoses enough to get it off of the radiator hose.

werdna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Country flag

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG
Would you recommend the street maf or race maf?

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Street MAF- Able to run the intake without a tune, for mild bolt ons if you want a good power bump. Will also work with future modifications.

Race MAF- We bit bigger housing, will pull in larger volumes of air. Custom tune required, biggest gains are to be had here, and will work with future modifications from Prl to extract the most power.

Last edited:

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would you recommend the street maf or race maf?
One more point is that if you flash back to stock tune when you take it back to the dealer then with a race MAF it would not be tuned when the dealer worked on it. If you have the street MAF then you can flash back to stock and it will still be fine for most dealers.

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One more point is that if you flash back to stock tune when you take it back to the dealer then with a race MAF it would not be tuned when the dealer worked on it. If you have the street MAF then you can flash back to stock and it will still be fine for most dealers.
This is a great point. It will run on the factory ECU calibration, but poorly.

nvtive_b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Type R
Country flag
now does anyone here have any experience with the stage 1 intake they offer. i wanna pull the plug on the cobra intake but i know the stock airbox is already pretty well put together and up to par. i just wanna upgrade the hosing and air filter? and prl definitely puts on good products

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
any chance you measured the I.D. of the maf housing before install?

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Correct, the Race MAF housing is 50% larger than the stock/Street MAF housing.
What this also means is that with Ktuner or Hondata you can simply increase the AFM flow values by about 50% to get a good starting point for tuning for the Race MAF housing. Further tweaking would be recommended though.

Loccust

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Just installed my PRL Cobra Street last night, took about 2 hours. I must state your build quality and attention to detail is crazy. Nice job PRL. I am starting with the Street version for now and figure that when I do go to a tune down the road with the upgrade to the Race, I will be able to swap in the street maf when I go back to a stock tune for dealership visits.
Sponsored