PRL BIG TURBO. Who’s running it?

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
On the fence about going from w1 turbo, to a Prl big turbo kit. Haven’t seen many reviews on here. Who’s running it? Pros/cons. Just looking for any kind of feedback really.
Sponsored

OP
OP
airickmatthews

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
big turbo kit includes tip and downpipe.. both added costs to a drop in
im not concerned about the $3k price point. I understand what’s all included with the Prl kit versus 27won. I’m already full bolt on, e35, and w1.

just looking for peoples experience with the Prl kits.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
27Won says their TIP gives them 9 more hp. The W1 has a better lower end which may be most useful on the street. The PRL used to have a lot more turbo lag, but I haven't heard reports from users or tuners at how the electronic wastegate helps PRL's turbo lag. Maybe there isn't as much difference now.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm running the gtx2860r on a E30 blend.
Installation is pretty straightforward. Took me about 6-7 hours.

Peak torque is about 4K rpms so the lag isnt too bad. Although the 2867 has higher peak power, I personally perfer the 2860 as you have more usable RPMs. I chose the PRL kit because when better fueling solutions become available, the garret will provide more room for growth than the W1. The garret turbo is also more efficient than the W1 requiring less boost to generate an equivalent amount of power. Also uses ball bearings vs the W1 using journal bearings(better reliability).

For cons: You can only use their turbo inlet and downpipe as any other designed to work with the stock set up won't fit. No base maps available so you immediately need to get a custom tune, adding to the total cost. Will require a bit more work if you ever decided to return to stock. Other than those I can't really think of anything bad compared to the W1.

Tbh though, I dont think it's worth it to make the 3k jump to the prl kit right now if you already have the W1. And the reason I say that is because of the stock fuel system. On both pump gas and an ethanol blend the W1 is consistently only about 10-25whp behind the 2860r, albeit needing more boost. Even though the 2860R is rated up to 450hp, the car just can't supply enough fuel to make good use of it.
You could instead decide to use the 2867 but that only makes about 10-20 peak whp over the 2860 and you also have a less enjoyable (In my opinion) powerband. I wouldnt even consider the 3071 as that power band would be so unenjoyable for day to day driving. you'd only have about 1500-2000rpms of where you make power because of the lag.

These examples are pretty common of what you can expect out of each kit. Now if you use methanol you can expect a gain of about 20-30whp on each set up.
27won

If you plan on making big power in the future and better fueling options become available, then yeah the PRL kit would be worth it. But for now, the benefits just don't justify if you're already on the W1. Also keep in mind that 27won is developing the W2. So depending on your goals, that could be a better alternative to going to the PRL kit.

OP
OP
airickmatthews

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
Thank you so much. This is the kind of info I was looking for. I was reading through 27won post about the new w2 they have coming out and just had me thinking. I’m certain I want more power, just didn’t know if I wanted to switch over to Prl or not. I’m currently full Prl bolt on, w1, e35 and etuned with d-rob. Not sure of what my numbers, so wasn’t sure how much of a jump the Prl big kit would be. May have to wait till more info from 27won is released. Curious what numbers the w2 will do and price point.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My homie with the Garret 2860 Gen 2 with FBO and Eman's retro clutch just got remote tuned by DRob and made 290whp and 297wtq mustang dyno on 91 Cali pump. Catted dp too

Last edited:
OP
OP
airickmatthews

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
My homie with the Garret 2860 Gen 2 with FBO and Eman's retro clutch just got remote tuned by DRob and made 290whp and 297wtq mustang dyno on 91 Cali pump. Catted dp too
Pretty good numbers. I just reached out to drob with a few questions.

I haven’t seen any sport models running the Prl kit with e35. Trying to see if it can handle the move from w1 to Prl.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty good numbers. I just reached out to drob with a few questions.

I haven’t seen any sport models running the Prl kit with e35. Trying to see if it can handle the move from w1 to Prl.
I know of a few non si cars running prl big on flex fuel.

ThatBlueSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Coupe
Country flag
I'm running the gtx2860r on a E30 blend.
Installation is pretty straightforward. Took me about 6-7 hours.

Peak torque is about 4K rpms so the lag isnt too bad. Although the 2867 has higher peak power, I personally perfer the 2860 as you have more usable RPMs. I chose the PRL kit because when better fueling solutions become available, the garret will provide more room for growth than the W1. The garret turbo is also more efficient than the W1 requiring less boost to generate an equivalent amount of power. Also uses ball bearings vs the W1 using journal bearings(better reliability).

For cons: You can only use their turbo inlet and downpipe as any other designed to work with the stock set up won't fit. No base maps available so you immediately need to get a custom tune, adding to the total cost. Will require a bit more work if you ever decided to return to stock. Other than those I can't really think of anything bad compared to the W1.

Tbh though, I dont think it's worth it to make the 3k jump to the prl kit right now if you already have the W1. And the reason I say that is because of the stock fuel system. On both pump gas and an ethanol blend the W1 is consistently only about 10-25whp behind the 2860r, albeit needing more boost. Even though the 2860R is rated up to 450hp, the car just can't supply enough fuel to make good use of it.
You could instead decide to use the 2867 but that only makes about 10-20 peak whp over the 2860 and you also have a less enjoyable (In my opinion) powerband. I wouldnt even consider the 3071 as that power band would be so unenjoyable for day to day driving. you'd only have about 1500-2000rpms of where you make power because of the lag.

These examples are pretty common of what you can expect out of each kit. Now if you use methanol you can expect a gain of about 20-30whp on each set up.
27won

If you plan on making big power in the future and better fueling options become available, then yeah the PRL kit would be worth it. But for now, the benefits just don't justify if you're already on the W1. Also keep in mind that 27won is developing the W2. So depending on your goals, that could be a better alternative to going to the PRL kit.
Do you think a better fueling solution will become available? I now PRL and MAPerformance both have a port injection kit but that seems way to advance for most people. Is anybody working on a direct injection upgrade kit for the Si like hondata did for the FK8

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah turns out he had bad spark plugs. Also pushed 30psi+ on stock motor at the time lol
I didn't link that because of how his motor blew.
I linked to that to answer ThatBlueSi's question about a fuel upgrade

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didn't link that because of how his motor blew.
I linked to that to answer ThatBlueSi's question about a fuel upgrade
oh gotcha lol yeah meth on a stock motor is risking it.
Sponsored