Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In 2018 I looked for brake upgrades and couldn't find anything that seemed worthy. I naively thought I could just find some Brembo's that would work. Are there recommendations for my car as far as brake upgrades. I welcome your suggestions.
27won makes a bbk for the fronts. Others have used Genesis Brembo it's with Nissan Rogue rotors. I've also seen a user work with 8th gen parts

There are also various pads that bite better and ss brake lines as well as rotor options.

If you want to spend some bucks, there's a Spoon kit too
Sponsored

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
Nice numbers, however, it's still a CVT, and you are living on borrowed time, trust me. You mentioned that it is "faster than a stock CTR". You are probably correct in a strait line, roll race say out to 130-140mph, however, it's not all about hp. The Type R is a combination of power and balance, equipped with very good Brembo brakes. Unless you make your suspension and brakes, capable of handling all the extra power, you have achieved nothing, except making your car more dangerous at high speeds. Poor suspension, and insufficient braking, are often responsible for of a lot of accidents. That being said, the CTR has addressed both of those areas, and could still hand your car it's ass in the twisties. Do yourself a favor, and immediately address the brake issue, I can't tell you how many times BBK's have saved my ass with some prior cars I have owned.
I am a straight line 1/4 mile guy. No need to defend the Type R to me. It was the car I had been waiting for 40+ years when it came out. But the cost and impracticality didn't suit my needs. That and dealer mark ups since it debuted. There will always be someone faster than you. The key is to build the car you want...your car. As I stated my primary purpose for this car was cross country travel. Gas mileage was primary. So I built the car that fulfilled my needs.

You don't give Honda much credit. I have been driving them since 1991 and have yet to have one break on me. The CVT does not have some horrendous failure rate. I'll let you know how much borrowed time I have.

I'll mention one other thing. I am 100% disabled veteran, paralyzed from the knees down in both legs. When test drove the Type R I found that I didn't have the coordination I needed to drive a manual tranny in a race. So...a CVT was it.

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice numbers, however, it's still a CVT, and you are living on borrowed time, trust me. You mentioned that it is "faster than a stock CTR". You are probably correct in a strait line, roll race say out to 130-140mph, however, it's not all about hp. The Type R is a combination of power and balance, equipped with very good Brembo brakes. Unless you make your suspension and brakes, capable of handling all the extra power, you have achieved nothing, except making your car more dangerous at high speeds. Poor suspension, and insufficient braking, are often responsible for of a lot of accidents. That being said, the CTR has addressed both of those areas, and could still hand your car it's ass in the twisties. Do yourself a favor, and immediately address the brake issue, I can't tell you how many times BBK's have saved my ass with some prior cars I have owned.
I will throw out one more story. Before the big turbo upgrade I took my Civic on a trip to the Smoky Mountains. I didn't realize that in the trip planning I put myself on a famous road US 129 "The Dragon's Tail". In TN, I believe. With no fore warning I was driving this road with STI's, Mustangs, Camero's, BMW's etc. With no brake or suspension upgrades I hung with the best of them. So, don't discount Honda quality too quickly. One other note. On some of the more famous curves some car magazine photogs sit waiting for good shots of the cars. I had two if them wanting photos of my car as they stated that they were tired of seeing the same old cars passing by. Neither had seen a car like mine. So check another box. Owning a car different than most.

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 2017 Sport Hatch
Country flag
I will throw out one more story. Before the big turbo upgrade I took my Civic on a trip to the Smoky Mountains. I didn't realize that in the trip planning I put myself on a famous road US 129 "The Dragon's Tail". In TN, I believe. With no fore warning I was driving this road with STI's, Mustangs, Camero's, BMW's etc. With no brake or suspension upgrades I hung with the best of them. So, don't discount Honda quality too quickly. One other note. On some of the more famous curves some car magazine photogs sit waiting for good shots of the cars. I had two if them wanting photos of my car as they stated that they were tired of seeing the same old cars passing by. Neither had seen a car like mine. So check another box. Owning a car different than most.
I hear what you’re saying but as someone who has everything (brakes, suspension, engine bolt ons) and no big turbo, there is a huge difference between stock handling and full upgrade. With a big turbo and custom tune, I have no doubt my hatch would hang with a stock type R

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And I hear you, too. Since I don't have those upgrades I don't know the difference. But, I haven't needed them yet either. I would like to upgrade the brakes when it comes time to replace what I have. Just don't know what's out there now.

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 2017 Sport Hatch
Country flag
I recently put on the 27Won bbk, it’s awesome, couldn’t ask for better stopping power.

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I recently put on the 27Won bbk, it’s awesome, couldn’t ask for better stopping power.
Thanks, I'll check them out. I heard them mentioned once before.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
The Type R's and STI's I've beaten think so. I'll let you know in time. The 270 ft lbs of torque are only 20 above the max set by Hondata for the CVT.
Can't see how you can beat stock TypeRs that make 290-300whp stock on the dyno. I have a reflash only and put down 315whp/334wtq

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can't see how you can beat stock TypeRs that make 290-300whp stock on the dyno. I have a reflash only and put down 315whp/334wtq
Bad drivers?

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CVT is a surprising thing man. Silver Surfer w/ his big turbo Civic Sedan CVT beat a stock Type R handily in the 1/4th and rolls. Now, don't get me wrong, big turbo Type R hangs with a mostly stock 392 Challenger 8speed, so it would easily crush a big turbo CVT Civic, and even stock would probably do much better on the track or in the twisties. Point is, CVT + bigger turbo can really surprise cars from a roll.

Edit: Video

Gerry

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L
Country flag
CVT is a surprising thing man. Silver Surfer w/ his big turbo Civic Sedan CVT beat a stock Type R handily in the 1/4th and rolls. Now, don't get me wrong, big turbo Type R hangs with a mostly stock 392 Challenger 8speed, so it would easily crush a big turbo CVT Civic, and even stock would probably do much better on the track or in the twisties. Point is, CVT + bigger turbo can really surprise cars from a roll.

Type r driver sucks here no?

Gerry

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L
Country flag

Never mind but wtf how?????? is this beating the dct? Something is not right

Gerry

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L
Country flag
I can't even find this silversurfer on instagram, probably broke his cvt and deleted his account ????????????

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Oh for sure. I just think if an CVT has a big turbo, it should make way more than 300whp. I'm working on a big turbo TypeR and it should make 550whp by the time you throw E85 into the mix (and on stock internals).

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Never mind but wtf how?????? is this beating the dct? Something is not right

That KIA guy was ignorant. The Civic had the clear advantage on paper. It was 400lbs lighter with the same bhp. Not even a contest. He got walked even harder from a roll - clearly showing power/weight ratio is much higher.
Sponsored