whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
Just an FYI for those wanting to do this with their CVT. I have a 2018 Civic Sport Touring. I have everything PRL except my downpipe is catted. I went with the GTX2860R GEN2. I have a larger radiator and a CVT transmission oil cooler. My intention here is let you know where I ended up. Running 93 octane and Hondata custom tune my final dyno numbers were 285whp and 270 ft. lbs of torque. I was hoping for 300 but I guess the nature of the CVT is limiting me. Slightly above where Hondata and their testers recommend for CVT max torque (250). I only occasionally street race but my main use for the car is long distance cross country trips. After almost doubling the stock hp in this way I lost only 1 mpg in city driving. Of course staying out of boost. Haven't done a cross country yet. So that is where I stand after a couple months. I have not lost a race yet. I feel the $10,000 I spent was worth it. A Type R was going for $15,000 more than my car. Now I'm faster than a stock Type R and getting 27 mpg in the city and maybe 36 mpg on the highway. Not bad.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Big Turbo Upgrade, CVT 20181017_145058
Sponsored

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just an FYI for those wanting to do this with their CVT. I have a 2018 Civic Sport Touring. I have everything PRL except my downpipe is catted. I went with the GTX2860R GEN2. I have a larger radiator and a CVT transmission oil cooler. My intention here is let you know where I ended up. Running 93 octane and Hondata custom tune my final dyno numbers were 285whp and 270 ft. lbs of torque. I was hoping for 300 but I guess the nature of the CVT is limiting me. Slightly above where Hondata and their testers recommend for CVT max torque (250). I only occasionally street race but my main use for the car is long distance cross country trips. After almost doubling the stock hp in this way I lost only 1 mpg in city driving. Of course staying out of boost. Haven't done a cross country yet. So that is where I stand after a couple months. I have not lost a race yet. I feel the $10,000 I spent was worth it. A Type R was going for $15,000 more than my car. Now I'm faster than a stock Type R and getting 27 mpg in the city and maybe 36 mpg on the highway. Not bad.

20181017_145058.jpg
I forgot to mention I have a Greddy exhause.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Big Turbo Upgrade, CVT 20181017_145308

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Big Turbo Upgrade, CVT 20181017_145405

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
really nice of hearing that cvt and big turbo is doing well. I recommend you to join @gtman 's megalist for tuned civics
there are many tunes but only a few dozens of big turbos.

Not many people have big turbos on a CVT and I am also trying to see which turbos works well with hatchback cvts.

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
and 280 on pump gas seems to be really good. even spoon jp's demo car only has 270+ hp.

What CVT oilcooler do you use? Does it takes the space of honda sensing radars? Or does it have conflicts with PRL cobra intakes?

Such an intriguing build and I am sure both @gtman and many others will appreciate it if you can tell us more in the megathread.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I messaged him to add his car. Hopefully he will.

Definitely impressive numbers on just 93 octane.

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My transmission oil cooler sits in front of radiator. Have to look up the make.The 285/270 was at 60 deg. Fahrenheit.

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My transmission oil cooler is the old PRL one, no longer made. It was between that for $499 and Mishimoto at $699. In 2018 that was all I had to choose from.

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
I wonder if the cvt can handle such giant torque.. are you serious?

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Type R's and STI's I've beaten think so. I'll let you know in time. The 270 ft lbs of torque are only 20 above the max set by Hondata for the CVT.

04sthemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
where abouts in Fl are you?

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even though Hondata eluded to the fact that 250wtq is the safety limit for a CVT, that's also with the understanding that they thrashed this car to death essentially. Constant 0-60s, drag racing, laps at the track, etc. Not exactly the same kind of driving most of us CivicX drivers are into. I'm running 280wtq on my Phearable 1.5R (K&N filter, Mishimoto upgraded intake hose, and gallon of e85 where able to), and after a few thousand miles with that tune I did a CVT fluid flush (was somewhere around 33k-34k miles at time of fluid change) with no burnt fluid, no smell, no shavings. We also have Silver Surfer (Red Tornado now) who's upgraded turbo CVT Sedan, and has been out slaying the competition with no issues, and he's making more power than you are I believe.

But absolutely amazing build!! Just what I've been looking for tbh. I've wanted to upgrade my Civic to your point, but haven't between lack of people talking about it, and more problematic-lack of funds right now. $10,000 is a lot to put into it, but considering you still get great MPG and have the performance you do, I can only be impressed and more intrigued by it. Glad to see you added your car to Gtman's thread, hoping for more updates from you!

What mods do you believe were absolutely necessary, if any? And if you could go back in time, would you do anything different with your buildpath?

OP
OP
whazaaap

whazaaap

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, Hondata thrashed their test car. That's why I am not worried about my setup and daily driving habits.
I initially replaced my intercooler, piping, front pipe, downpipe, radiator and added the CAI and tranny oil cooler. Hondata Flashpro tuned. That was enough...until I got an email from PRL letting me know about the big turbo upgrade. That was enough to put me where I wanted to be, not to mention at the limits of my car. My Sport Touring badge states "sleeper" for those in the know. Just the way I like it. On the outside I have only seen one other like mine and it was red and in San Antonio. In short, if I could have gone straight to the big turbo upgrade in 2018 I would have. I could have saved the cost of a second downpipe! PRL all day.
Sponsored