First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey everyone. Trying to figure out if i should use a turbo blanket option for the Garret turbo, or keep the heat shield that PRL provides with the kit. I dont think the heat shield will fit if the turbo blanket is installed, and so i'm wondering if anyone has done this already or has an opinion on the matter.

Thanks
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used a PTP blanket after I broke one of the heat shield bolts. Fitment was great and it looked better in my opinion. Performance seemed fine but I did not do any in depth testing.

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Notice any difference in your IAT or coolant temps?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey everyone. Trying to figure out if i should use a turbo blanket option for the Garret turbo, or keep the heat shield that PRL provides with the kit. I dont think the heat shield will fit if the turbo blanket is installed, and so i'm wondering if anyone has done this already or has an opinion on the matter.

Thanks
I left the heat shield off when I installed the kit. Looks much better in my opinion. A turbo blanket will work good.

I wrapped my downpipe and front pipe too since those get pretty hot as well. On a nice day I can keep my IAT2 5-10 within ambient for a good while before too much heat builds up in the bay.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Notice any difference in your IAT or coolant temps?
I did not, but I again stress that I did not make an effort to do any thorough testing.

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
A turbo blanket (and heat wrap) is insulation, a heat shield is merely to prevent heat soak into other parts. The blanket should do way more as it contains the heat within the turbo... to escape from the downpipe. If you want the best results you should wrap the downpipe, you can also add gold tape to the intake bits to prevent heat soak.

I haven't seen anyone able to put their heat shield back on the turbo after the blanket anyway.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
What would be a good compatible turbo blanket to use :hmm:

ONEPNT5.Si

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Si
Country flag
I used a PTP blanket after I broke one of the heat shield bolts. Fitment was great and it looked better in my opinion. Performance seemed fine but I did not do any in depth testing.
Which one did you use? I have the generic T25 one and fitment was a pain with the EWG setup so we opted to not use it.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which one did you use? I have the generic T25 one and fitment was a pain with the EWG setup so we opted to not use it.
I don't have the part number handy but it was a PTP turbo blanket. I did not have the EWG installed with it.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The heat blanket will insulate the turbo heat and lead to greater thermal efficiency. You may notice a slightly quicker spool and slight power gains. The turbo blanket will also drastically help with heatsoak by reducing engine bay temperatures.

The issue is that the heat is being contained within the exhaust housing, which is right next to the CHRA, which is fed oil for cooling and lubrication as well as water for cooling. By running a turbo blanket, you're asking the oil and water to take on greater loads, which can result in the engine overheating (overheating and heatsoak are two different things).

The conductive heat of the extra hot exhaust housing is greater than the radiant heat it would give off without a blanket.

An alternative would be to run a vented hood or hood vents to evacuate the radiant heat that a blanket-less turbo would give off.

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@ApexEight great points, i also installed a high flow grill at the same time i did the turbo blanket. really helps improve the efficiency of my radiator. About to post to my build thread, check it out.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's something that Russel from @ACUITY said to me a while ago :

"Remember that the turbo dumps heat into air after it passes through the rad, so it is not impacting cooling. Also keep in mind that putting a turbo blanket on a turbo means the heat can't escape that way anymore, so most of it remains in the exhaust and heats up exhaust pipes elsewhere and the balance of the heat absorbs back into the motor and subsequently into the cooling water (which then goes to the radiator). If anything, the turbo is a flow impedance since it sits right behind the rad."

"I think a good compromise would be a heat shield on the turbo, blocking anything like intake piping where radiant heat is problematic. Although I am not sure if any company is making a decent option. Similarly, you can wrap the objects being radiated to (the parts absorbing heat) with insulated, reflective tape rather than opting for the blanket. "

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Insulating the turbo always seemed like a bad idea to me. I would rather insulate the intake.

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if it’s even a viable option to get done but is ceramic coating any better? Rv6 is supposed to have that as an option on their new turbo
Sponsored