PRL Big Turbo Kit coming for the SI in the future.

PNW_FC3

First Name
Rae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So I emailed PRL Motorsports inquiring about their future plans to develop an intake manifold for the FC3/1 only to wonderfully find out that their next endeavor will be a Big Turbo kit. Granted, they will eventually develope an intake manifold later down the road some time after the mentioned turbo kit is developed and released.

Here’s the message from PRL:

“We have discussed doing some sort of intake manifold for the 1.5T, but this will probably not be explored for quite some time. Our next project will be a big turbo kit for the Si/Non-Si platform(s).”

Anyone gonnna jump on this kit once it’s out?
Sponsored

y2kprofesor

First Name
marius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
So I emailed PRL Motorsports inquiring about their future plans to develop an intake manifold for the FC3/1 only to wonderfully find out that their next endeavor will be a Big Turbo kit. Granted, they will eventually develope an intake manifold later down the road some time after the mentioned turbo kit is developed and released.

Here’s the message from PRL:

“We have discussed doing some sort of intake manifold for the 1.5T, but this will probably not be explored for quite some time. Our next project will be a big turbo kit for the Si/Non-Si platform(s).”

Anyone gonnna jump on this kit once it’s out?
hell yea but the question is what other modifications will you have to do. I read that the engine is only good up to about 300HP and then you need to change connecting rods.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I'm sure (and actually would hope) that the clutch would be up to you to choose what you want/need, although if they had options a small discount on one if you chose to purchase would be cool.

As far as the rods PRL is at what? 280/340 I think and still beating on the car with no problems that I am aware of.
If the big turbo can hold that 340 to say 5500 there's 356hp making no more torque than they already are.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
I believe Vitviper is working on something similar. It's supposed to be a direct replacement. No additional components except for a tune? The benefit of his turbo upgrade is that power builds, cresting at higher RPM's. And because torque is made more gradually, the internal components should be able to handle more power. I think.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/turbo-upgrade-sneak-peek.9751/

I wonder if they're working on it together?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The old K20 in the 8th gen would hold 500hp turboed without internals, and that was an NA motor, so I doubt this motor is going to fold that low. Only time will tell though.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I’m sure they will make this turbo upgrade kit to work well with the stock engine. Then maybe they will make another kit which will include upgraded internals for example. Two kits for different for different power levels. Never know with Prl. ;)

Last edited:

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe Vitviper is working on something similar. It's supposed to be a direct replacement. No additional components except for a tune? The benefit of his turbo upgrade is that power builds, cresting at higher RPM's. And because torque is made more gradually, the internal components should be able to handle more power. I think.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/turbo-upgrade-sneak-peek.9751/

I wonder if they're working on it together?
Usually Vits own products are exclusively sold by him on his website. I think Prl is making their own actual kit, he’s just making a drop in turbo that will work with the stock components. But I definitely don’t doubt they brainstorm and share ideas about products they both make.

REDRAGN53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Civic now..

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Might just be me but much over 250 Hp from a 1.5 seems like recipe for disaster. Im mean sure 300 hp is possible but for how long? I suspect heat from a motor that is using so much boost will be sort of crazy too. Perhaps upgraded radiator and external oil cooler for kits as well?

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will probably be displayed like the 8th and 9th gen civic si turbo kit. You’ll have tons of options to choose from, like clutch, engine mounts etc. Don’t think anyone needs to worry about what it includes, they know what they are doing and will provide a very nice kit I’m sure.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I think that @PRL Motorsports mentioned that they will be building a separate "manifold turbo", whereas @VitViper 's turbo upgrade will be a larger drop in impeller (going by memory of previous posts). I'd imagine that the PRL turbo will be good for far more power, but will require substantial modification versus Vit's drop-in turbo.

Just pure speculation on my part. Either party, please feel free to chime in with different info if I'm off base. :stirthepot:

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I believe PRL is shooting for 400hp with there turbo kit. Aftermarket internals not required. But with the internals there's mostlikly hope of squeezing more out...

OP
OP

PNW_FC3

First Name
Rae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I believe PRL is shooting for 400hp with there turbo kit. Aftermarket internals not required. But with the internals there's mostlikly hope of squeezing more out...
Depending on how expensive this PRL kit will be, I might just opt to get VitTuned’s compressor wheel upgrade for our little Si’s TD03. Supposedly it’ll be good for 300-340whp on the top end reliably. That’s more than good enough for me as I’m not trying to make my Si a dyno queen.
Sponsored