Prevent / minimize turbo inlet pipe heat soak

Doing installs, does turbo inlet pipe get gold tape or lava fiber?

• Gold tape for inlet

• Insulate inlet to reduce heat transfer

Results are only viewable after voting.

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Recently got ptp's downpipe elbow as I don't want to wrap my cat. Also got a few square feet of their thick fiberglass woven heat shielding and placed it around the middle of the inlet on the back side from screw mounting point to screw mounting point. Radiant heat from the turbine and downpipe is very minimal but the exposed area between them at the wastegate actuator arm is very hot. I'm thinking of putting some more of the material in that area.

I need to pick up a sheet of malleable but sturdy material. Place some of the insulation on it and use it as ducting to shield the bigger coolant lines and the path towards the intake and all cold side charge piping.

I've already wrapped my aluminum PRL charge pipe and found out my map sensor back as the head had all of the plastic pieces and probe all compacted together. I took a tiny electronics screw driver and sperated everything and moved the probe to the center. Cruising on the highway at 85mph+ temperature at the manifold was only 2-3f above what it was at the MAF housing. So whenever you're about to go wide open, your charge air is already around the temperature it would need to drop down well into spool up previously. It also makes rising IAT on long full load pulls more resilient to soak.

There's more stuff I can try when I get the time. But so far so good.
About to pick up the Downpipe elbow blanket. I couldn't find the material you used to insulate your inlet pipe on the PTP website. Do you have a link?

Looks great!
Sponsored

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
I've already wrapped my aluminum PRL charge pipe and found out my map sensor back as the head had all of the plastic pieces and probe all compacted together. I took a tiny electronics screw driver and sperated everything and moved the probe to the center. Cruising on the highway at 85mph+ temperature at the manifold was only 2-3f above what it was at the MAF housing. So whenever you're about to go wide open, your charge air is already around the temperature it would need to drop down well into spool up previously. It also makes rising IAT on long full load pulls more resilient to soak.
Can you explain this procedure with extra detail and maybe a pic or two? I am interested in doing this. Thanks

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Can you explain this procedure with extra detail and maybe a pic or two? I am interested in doing this. Thanks
I think he’s talking about the modification to the charge temp sensor modification that Perrin posted.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I think he’s talking about the modification to the charge temp sensor modification that Perrin posted.
Correct. I didn't cut anything, I just spread everything apart.

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Correct. I didn't cut anything, I just spread everything apart.
Do you need to unbolt the downpipe to put the elbow blanket on? Can you put the stock heat shield back on with the elbow blanket installed?

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you need to unbolt the downpipe to put the elbow blanket on? Can you put the stock heat shield back on with the elbow blanket installed?
No need to unbolt the down pipe, just have to remove the o2 sensor and heat shield from it.

I didn't put my heat shield back on. Not saying it's impossible, but just getting the screws that it uses through the eyes on the elbow and everything nice and tight where you need it is annoying. PTP didn't send anything to secure each side, like my turbo blanket came with those springs with loops on them and some stainless steel tie wire, luckily I still had the tie wire to hook it together. That wasn't fun to secure.

My PRL DP use those big spacers for the heat shield and those are annoying enough to get on regularly.

I like it without the heat shield you just have to look out for areas at the inlet that can get hot. Plus, that shield weighs 1lb 5oz, weight reduction!.... Lol

I really just need a Varis hood to vent out that volcano right behind the radiator.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
About to pick up the Downpipe elbow blanket. I couldn't find the material you used to insulate your inlet pipe on the PTP website. Do you have a link?

Looks great!
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/co...rs/products/ptp-adhesive-thermal-barrier-plus

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/mod-your-act-sensor-and-gain-hp.41988/
Sponsored

Last edited: