Prevent engine start in accessory mode when no key is detected?

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
I have a 2016 VTI-LX model sedan (Touring equivalent) and would like to be able to leave my front and rear dashcams running when I leave the car for short periods (up to an hour) after I switch off the engine but disable the start / stop button from starting the car.

Now, in accessory mode I can keep the dashcams running fine as the accessory 12v power works. Unfortunately, when in accessory mode the start / stop flashes continuously (screaming steal me, steal me!) and anyone who gets in the car, say by breaking the window, can start the car in the standard way even with the key nowhere nearby.

Is there any way known to disable ignition when a key is not present when in accessory mode?
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Why don't you plug the dash cam direct on battery with fuse ?

OP
OP

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
Why don't you plug the dash cam direct on battery with fuse ?
Thanks for the reply. The accessory mode has an auto off period I believe (or at least older models did). If I had to leave the car for longer periods this would help reduce the risk of battery drain.

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. The accessory mode has an auto off period I believe (or at least older models did). If I had to leave the car for longer periods this would help reduce the risk of battery drain.
Maybe what the poster means is use an "always on" source. Skip the accessory mode idea. Go directly to the battery. Then simply install an inline timer of some sort. I'm sure programmable ones exist. I'm sure you could find one that controls LEDs.

Derstn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX
Maybe what the poster means is use an "always on" source. Skip the accessory mode idea. Go directly to the battery. Then simply install an inline timer of some sort. I'm sure programmable ones exist. I'm sure you could find one that controls LEDs.
https://www.amazon.com/Timer-Delay-Relay-Hours-Cycling/dp/B01HNDOCKK

Honda Civic 10th gen Prevent engine start in accessory mode when no key is detected? 01kQZGT

Then it's just programming it to Delayed OFF and setting the time to supply power after ignition is off.

(edited to provide a more concise answer with the proper diagram)
Sponsored

Last edited: