Pretty sure this isn't normal. DI or something else?

waxonwaxoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo Prestige MT
Country flag
Hope you guys can give me a hand here, I'm trying to pin down a sound coming from my engine bay. I've had it for quite a while but it's come to my attention after starting my engine while the hood was open after an oil change as opposed to already having the engine started. Stethescope on the way! But in the current situation I'm not holding my breath for the delivery and thought I'd give the forum a shot.

I'm no mechanic but im pretty sure i know what direct injection is supposed to sound like but in this case it seems like there is a noise distinct from the injectors coming from the engine. The sound begins about 2 seconds after starting the engine and when I rev it stops until the revs drop back closer to idle again. I've linked a youtube video since it's so hard to describe the sounds I'm hearing and in the video I'm revving to try and show the distinction between what I think is regular engine sounds and the noise.

Maybe related but it seemed like my engine block moves back and forth a lot during startup, could the noise be caused by a bad engine mount or it being improperly installed? I've had one replaced under warranty a few months back. I will post a video of the engine starting soon so you guys can compare the movement with your own.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sure sounds like something is vibrating against something else, like a loose wire harness or hose. It is just resonating at idle. Have you done any mods? Any service or work done? Can you pinpoint the general area that the sound is coming from, then check all bolts and clips?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Check your PCV, you may just not be releasing enough pressure at idle?

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
How many miles on the motor?
Does the sound only happen when the engine is cold or warm or all the time?

Zed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6MT FK7 (Sold), 991.2 Carrera S, 3rd Gen Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, I was just confirming that it seems to be normal.
I think the DI is overly loud on these cars because there is no sound insulating engine cover that most cars have. I can hear the DI from inside the cabin.

OP
OP
waxonwaxoff

waxonwaxoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for your help so far and sorry for the delay, I was awaiting the delivery of the stethescope.

The engine has 27k miles and I have been running the Hondata base map +6 PSI for about 20k of those miles, I've tried to pinpoint the sound with the stethescope and include a picture of where I can hear the sound the loudest on the red dot that I've drawn. I'm not sure what this part is or even if the sound is directly coming from it because it could be travelling through different parts before it gets there but at that point I can hear the sound the loudest and clearest. Checked underneath this part and around it with the stethescope but its definitely louder when I touch the top of this piece.

I think it makes this sound whether its hot or cold and it doesn't sound like theres any difference between the two apart from the engine being louder when its trying to warm up, going to check again now that I have the stethescope and report back. Also doesn't seem like anything is loose as far as any hoses or wires that I can see and feel. How can I check the PCV valve is doing what its supposed to be doing?

I'm hoping its the regular DI sound, just seems weird that it sounds like two distinct sounds and with one of them only starting after a few seconds after starting the engine and the sound also stops when I rev, shouldn't the injectors get louder when I do that?

Heres the pictures of where I think the sound is coming from:
Honda Civic 10th gen Pretty sure this isn't normal. DI or something else? Inked20200417_193849

Close up with dot:
Honda Civic 10th gen Pretty sure this isn't normal. DI or something else? Inked20200417_193902

Again thanks for your help everyone.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Might just be the Base, High Pressure Pump?
Honda Part No.: 12270-59B-000

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Hope you guys can give me a hand here, I'm trying to pin down a sound coming from my engine bay. I've had it for quite a while but it's come to my attention after starting my engine while the hood was open after an oil change as opposed to already having the engine started. Stethescope on the way! But in the current situation I'm not holding my breath for the delivery and thought I'd give the forum a shot.

OP
OP
waxonwaxoff

waxonwaxoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Might just be the Base, High Pressure Pump?
Honda Part No.: 12270-59B-000
Thanks! Going to look into this.

From looking online I can't hear similar noises from other high pressure fuel pumps but I can't find a video on a Honda one and I guess they all work slightly differently. Will try and see if I can get a mechanic to take a look at mine. Relatively inexpensive so I hope it has been narrowed down to this part.