Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now!

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
:headbang:FRONT PIPE INSTALLATION ISSUES SOLVED!!:thumbsup:

Guys, I grabbed a quick video with Sean @aweinstalls to cover FRONT PIPE INSTALLATION.

I made this because lots of people are having issues with this, and there are also "installation shops" that have charged customers to remove axles, etc... WHAT the WHAT?! :banghead:

Check out our video, share your comments and let me know what you think? This is also being added as a link in our installation instructions and will live on the CTR product page.

Hope this helps!

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
:headbang:FRONT PIPE INSTALLATION ISSUES SOLVED!!:thumbsup:

Guys, I grabbed a quick video with Sean @aweinstalls to cover FRONT PIPE INSTALLATION.

I made this because lots of people are having issues with this, and there are also "installation shops" that have charged customers to remove axles, etc... WHAT the WHAT?! :banghead:

Check out our video, share your comments and let me know what you think? This is also being added as a link in our installation instructions and will live on the CTR product page.

Hope this helps!

Love the continued dedication to our platform even though you guys have a ton of other platforms to worry about. :headbang:

Great video. Only thing I might add is to be careful of the factory heatshield around the front pipe - it can cause a bunch of cabin noise and false knock readings that reduce performance if it rubs. A lot of people have issues with this with any aftermarket frontpipe, not just yours.

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
A lot of people have issues with this with any aftermarket frontpipe, not just yours.
Killer feedback!

I actually shot clips of the entire installation, including the heat shield removal (which is called out in the instructions) and checking for clearance. Let me find those clips and see if we can stitch them together (we were pressed for time and I wanted to get this up). I know at least one customer who skipped removing the heat shield, bent it forcing the front pipe through and then had massive rattling because it was probably 1mm away from the pipe when cold, but contacting when hot.

We love the CTR, own one, and it's been an awesome community here so anything we can make to make life easier is awesome!

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Anybody else have significant rubbing and noise when reversing uphill? I took my car to the mountains for the first time since installing the AWE exhaust and I got a huge amount of metal on metal noise anytime I reversed up a hill.

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Anybody else have significant rubbing and noise when reversing uphill? I took my car to the mountains for the first time since installing the AWE exhaust and I got a huge amount of metal on metal noise anytime I reversed up a hill.
If you can grab a video dm me and hit up support. Http://www.awe-tuning.com/support Maybe it’s the front pipe contacting the heat shield?

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
So much car stuff happens in warm places not close to me. You can imagine my delight, when I decided to upgrade my exhaust. Then, decided to go with AWE. Then read the fine print and discovered they are located near me! By this time next week, my neighbors will love / hate my car even more! :D:headbang: Pics, notes and sound to follow!

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
So is this still only available with AWE Front Pipe? Anyone install the exhaust without the AWE front pipe or is it not possible without some crazy modifications?

bTw one of the best sounding exhausts for sure, will be getting one down the line, since I just ordered my Front pipe and DP from another company, so will rock that for a bit and when time comes to buy full exhaust system, will be definitely reaching out to AWE ! Good stuff ! ?.

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK, the deed is done; my trip report:

I drove 2 hours to have my new exhaust installed, beautiful morning and very excited. Arrived early and met Sean the (only) installation guy. Such a pleasant fellow. Turns out the appointment before me was late and I was early so had to wait a bit which I was going to do anyhow. Before me was an Audi getting a CAI, amazing looking car and was thrilled to see the outcome and hear about the install and the discussions about Audi’s in general. My turn!

The install took as long as Sean said it would and the result is incredible. Sean spent a great deal of time explaining the install, the exhaust, break-in, care, what to expect, follow-up. I also am interested in getting a CAI at some point and Sean offered to help with that during my 1,000 mile check up! I don’t have many opportunities to talk cars and I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed this time.

The ride home was incredible. The exhaust is a bit louder than I had expected (on-line videos and all), but so much fun. Not sure why, but gas mileage on the way home was noticeably higher than on the way down. The way down was all highway, and the way home was 80% stop / start. So I’ll have to keep an eye on that! May be just the excitement but the car felt snappier – I’m sure (?) it was just the good vibes messing with me!

NET: WOW. So happy with the result. Can’t wait to get it broken in. The black tips are the bomb and no doubt will get me more chicks who like my car (my wife doesn’t mind as long as I don’t offer rides!). Can’t say enough about Sean and my interaction with AWE in total. If you have any doubts and can get to their shop for the install, DO IT. Sorry so long…….. too much coffee this am.

Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! 20200916_133046

tenshiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT, 2014 Mitsubishi RVR LE, 2018 Civic Type R #14978
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question for you guys with the AWE touring. I've had my exhaust installed for about 8k km now and I'm finding that only my middle tip gets dirty. Anyone have similar experiences? Shouldn't my tips get equally dirty? Dont mind my dirty car lol

Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! 20200917_084547

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Question for you guys with the AWE touring. I've had my exhaust installed for about 8k km now and I'm finding that only my middle tip gets dirty. Anyone have similar experiences? Shouldn't my tips get equally dirty? Dont mind my dirty car lol

20200917_084547.jpg
I'd argue no actually. The distance on the left and right forks are technically longer than the distance to the center fork. So there would in theory be less resistance through the center fork and thus you should get more exhaust out of the center than the left and right.

Edit: Additionally, if you look at the pitchfork shape of the exhaust exits, the left and right forks connect at nearly 90-degree angles. That requires the exhaust gases to pull a 90-degree turn then go with the longer path. That would be done less often as well. Granted my knowledge of fluid dynamics isn't the best, so I could be wrong with all of this.

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd argue no actually. The distance on the left and right forks are technically longer than the distance to the center fork. So there would in theory be less resistance through the center fork and thus you should get more exhaust out of the center than the left and right.

Edit: Additionally, if you look at the pitchfork shape of the exhaust exits, the left and right forks connect at nearly 90-degree angles. That requires the exhaust gases to pull a 90-degree turn then go with the longer path. That would be done less often as well. Granted my knowledge of fluid dynamics isn't the best, so I could be wrong with all of this.
This picture, posted by mmm_def, shows the same behavior.

Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! 1600357913898

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maintenance question. I'm looking at my nice new black tips. And, at an almost full bottle of nano / ceramic goop on my shelf. Any reason this wouldn't work on the tips? Any reason NOT to put it on the tips?

Might make cleaning easier? Thoughts?

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Actually your knowledge of fluid dynamics is pretty solid. Common sense works too! Check out the photo of the exhaust I just removed. Seems HONDA thought about it. Note the center pipe / can would cause more pressure drop than the 2 outer paths. A relatively easy calculation could / would show what sizes and internals would need to be to have the flows directed or equal (if that was the intent).

Looking at both versions, weld marks would indicate no internal baffling as well. This is in fact verified by sticking my nose down the pipes too!

Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! 1600371738620

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If I have 4 posts in a row, do I get a prize?
Sponsored