Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now!

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
The answer to your second question is yes; though I don't find driving in 5th gear on the highway an acceptable solution.
Thanks. I'll try that too.

Touring and stock DP is very mild on the highway at cruising speeds, with no drone.. Downpipes will obviously render an increase of volume both in and out, but there isn't any drone (talking strictly drone-prone frequencies) rather the exhaust note is just heard more throughout the rev band.
Got it. Yeah I'm not planning on replacing the OEM downpipe. So many conflicting reports from people in this thread, so I'll just give it a shot and will report back with my honest opinion after trying it. Thanks for being responsive and replying to all your customers here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks. I'll try that too.

Got it. Yeah I'm not planning on replacing the OEM downpipe. So many conflicting reports from people in this thread, so I'll just give it a shot and will report back with my honest opinion after trying it. Thanks for being responsive and replying to all your customers here.
It's going to vary person to person. I ran it with both stock and with a prl catted downpipe. It was/is loud on the highway at cruising speeds regardless of which dp I ran. It's deeper with the prl of course, but I experienced it with both and others are experiencing it with stock dp too. It's a fine exhaust and I'd still recommend it. It's just obnoxiously loud on the highway for me and others.

Last edited:

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
I definitely want to hear some highway cruising footage for this exhaust. It's my #1 choice currently and well, more examples the better.

Petrolicious

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2019 Lexus RX 350 F Sport, 2017 Golf R
Country flag
Needs clips of highway driving to see how bothersome this is. It may not be that bad to some ears.

Topsportsman916

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red Sport Touring & 2019 Rallye Red CTR
Country flag
After reading all of these posts, it makes me think that I need to get my ears checked. I have a 19 CTR with stock DP & the Track Edition exhaust. At highway cruising speeds, which for me usually is around 63-64 mph, the exhaust isn't bad at all.This usually has me around 2600 rpms in 6th gear. Interstate speeds aren't bad either. The loudest it gets under normal driving is in the 2000-2500 rpm range when you are under a load. If I slow down for a 45 mph zone & leave it in say 5th gear , it isn't loud even being in the 2000-2500 rpm band. I have about 1000 miles on my system & I've noticed that the sound is smoothing out as I put miles on the system. Not trying to sound like a fan boy, but I am completely satisfied when the exhaust. I guess the sound is in the ear of the beholder.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The problem with evaluating the highway noise with a video is it doesn't give you any clue about the amplitude of the sound. The only way to somewhat replicate it would be to record it with a dB meter and then throw a large PA speaker in the hatch and turn it up till the listener's dB meter matched.

Seeing these vastly different experiences, is it possible the exhaust packing material is different from exhaust to exhaust? I am 3k miles in so it should be broken in at this point.

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't think I have a camera or mic good enough to pick up the decibels while on the highway. I tried a few different ones with no luck. I just can't replicate the sound you hear on the highway with any mic in my arsenal. I am looking for ways to deaden the cabin to help with the loudness. Will update if/when I find a solution. I'm really hoping to avoid having to swap to a different exhaust because this one sounds so damn good in stop and go scenarios.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think I have a camera or mic good enough to pick up the decibels while on the highway. I tried a few different ones with no luck. I just can't replicate the sound you hear on the highway with any mic in my arsenal. I am looking for ways to deaden the cabin to help with the loudness. Will update if/when I find a solution.
Car Sound Deadening mat - Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener - Noise Insulation and Vibration Dampening Material (80 mil 36 sqft)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BLSP8JV

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ordered! Estimated arrive April 21st but I've been needing it either way for better sound acoustics.
:) Use tactically as it adds 0.5 lb per sq-ft. I bought a pack earlier to use on the family Civic sedan (to make the cabin sound more luxurious :p ).

Last edited:

Whoneedsknow

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you! We're quite proud of the soundtracks we've developed for these motors. So deep and sophisticated :thumbsup:
Big shout out to everyone at AWE! I've had tons of compliments on the sound of my car and personally I love it too! It was fairly easy to install. Also, the shipping was pretty quick, the quality was as pictured, and I've really enjoyed driving with this exhaust. I've owned 7 civics. All but one had exhaust and this exhaust takes the cake. Thanks again y'all! Great work.
Sponsored