Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now!

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
Installing an AWE today on my '21. The front pipe is touching the oil pan and less than 1mm away from the passenger axle. Is this normal or a real concern? I don't really see any way to adjust that section.
Get a pic and post it up so we can see what you are talking about.
Sponsored

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR, 09 Comp Yellow MX5, 20 Gladiator
Country flag
Touching the oil pan right here.

Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! IMG_8566

<1mm clearance to the passenger axle here.

Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! IMG_8565

I realize these are all fixed points and not subject to normal movement of suspension or motor but it still doesn't seem right.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM

IMG_8566.jpg

IMG_8565.jpg

I realize these are all fixed points and not subject to normal movement of suspension or motor but it still doesn't seem right.
@Dave/AWE - will see this and can chime in.

Should not be touching the oil pan - nor should it be that close to the axle (it will be close but not that close). May have to adjust it I.E. loosen the front pipe where it connects to the downpipe and where the slip connects to the mid section then rotate the frontpipe *wont move much but can help* and work your way back again. Get it right in your problem areas first then proceed through the rest. The section close to the axle may need to be pulled back (i.e. make sure there is no stress on it that would cause it to be press forward/towards the axle and that close to the axle in general if that makes sense) I installed mine before I sold it by my self on jack stands and man I am no longer a fan of slip joints...

If all else fails dude go to an exhaust shop they will charge next to nothing to pull it and reinstall it. Something they do on the daily. Save your back and the headache for sure.

Last edited:

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Dave/AWE - will see this and can chime in.

Should not be touching the oil pan - nor should it be that close to the axle (it will be close but not that close). May have to adjust it I.E. loosen the front pipe where it connects to the downpipe and where the slip connects to the mid section then rotate the frontpipe *wont move much but can help* and work your way back again. Get it right in your problem areas first then proceed through the rest. The section close to the axle may need to be pulled back (i.e. make sure there is no stress on it that would cause it to be press forward/towards the axle and that close to the axle in general if that makes sense) I installed mine before I sold it by my self on jack stands and man I am no longer a fan of slip joints...
There is no adjustment between the front pipe and the down pipe. I loosened the 3 bolts and tried to move it. I even tried to tightened the bottom bolt first to take up any available slack in the joint with no improvement. I have not installed the rest of the exhaust yet. Everything else is on the other side of the flex joint and would not make a difference at this position. I may be wrong but it seems that the front pipe to the down pipe joint angle is off a degree or 2.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
There is no adjustment between the front pipe and the down pipe. I loosened the 3 bolts and tried to move it. I even tried to tightened the bottom bolt first to take up any available slack in the joint with no improvement. I have not installed the rest of the exhaust yet. Everything else is on the other side of the flex joint and would not make a difference at this position. I may be wrong but it seems that the front pipe to the down pipe joint angle is off a degree or 2.
Hmmn I misunderstood (thought you had it all hooked up). I'd message Dave/AWE and take it off line their support is amazing dude. Sounds like you may have a one off. In the meantime QQ - did you install a downpipe at the same time? I know there have been a few peeps that did this and put the brackets on incorrectly that the downpipe and front pipe sandwich against and that has caused them issues with fitment.

These (one on each side)
Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! 1629513192482

Last edited:

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmmn I misunderstood (thought you had it all hooked up). I'd message Dave/AWE and take it off line their support is amazing dude. Sounds like you may have a one off. In the meantime QQ - did you install a downpipe at the same time? I know there have been a few peeps that did this and put the brackets on incorrectly that the downpipe and front pipe sandwich against and that has caused them issues with fitment.

These
View attachment 307686
This is the first mod to this car. The down pipe is OEM and has not been touched since it was installed from the factory. This isn't my first mod to any car before. I've built multiple track cars, a couple of kit cars and modified almost every one of the 67 cars I've owned. I throw that out there just to qualify my experience. It's not normally my style to call out a vendor in public before reaching out to them first. I was kind of hoping that this clearance was normal or I had overlooked something really obvious.

Thanks for your feedback.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
This is the first mod to this car. The down pipe is OEM and has not been touched since it was installed from the factory. This isn't my first mod to any car before. I've built multiple track cars, a couple of kit cars and modified almost every one of the 67 cars I've owned. I throw that out there just to qualify my experience. It's not normally my style to call out a vendor in public before reaching out to them first. I was kind of hoping that this clearance was normal or I had overlooked something really obvious.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cool man sounds like you have everything correct - (in no way doubting your mechanical ability - just walking backwards through it with you) I personally had some fitment issues that AWE had to resolve which is why I mentioned messaging Dave offline. They got me taken care of and will you too for sure. Good luck brother!

Last edited:

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag

IMG_8566.jpg

IMG_8565.jpg

Shoot me a DM. We'll need to get you in touch with Support who works with Engineering to resolve this stuff. You can jump right to the support form here: https://www.awe-tuning.com/support/ We use a CRM system for support so we can track and resolve this stuff asap. Sorry I missed this Friday, I've been training some new staff members here.

Rmbrady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type r
Country flag
I installed the Touring with the original resonator setup last week on my 2021 Type R. Everything else on car is stock. Installed by myself with 2 jack stands, about as basic as possible. Only difficult part was getting the front pipe in, mostly because I probably needed the car a couple more inches of the ground.

As many others have stated the sound around town is really spectacular. Couldn't be happier with how it sounds driving on regular roads. On the highway though, the sound is completely headache inducing. I was really bummed out because it was so loud. I'm hoping that the breaking period will calm it down a bit, but am not expecting miracles there. In the interim, I three some 80mil Noico under the inflator kit. I think it has made a decent difference, but it's only been a day and I haven't been on the highway.

I'll update this if the sound deadener solved the issue.

I really hope it did, because the city driving sound is great.

saijintrunks

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Camry TRD
Country flag
I installed the Touring with the original resonator setup last week on my 2021 Type R. Everything else on car is stock. Installed by myself with 2 jack stands, about as basic as possible. Only difficult part was getting the front pipe in, mostly because I probably needed the car a couple more inches of the ground.

As many others have stated the sound around town is really spectacular. Couldn't be happier with how it sounds driving on regular roads. On the highway though, the sound is completely headache inducing. I was really bummed out because it was so loud. I'm hoping that the breaking period will calm it down a bit, but am not expecting miracles there. In the interim, I three some 80mil Noico under the inflator kit. I think it has made a decent difference, but it's only been a day and I haven't been on the highway.

I'll update this if the sound deadener solved the issue.

I really hope it did, because the city driving sound is great.
Can you elaborate on your setup? You have the AWE Touring exhaust setup installed on your car with the stock front pipe or aftermarket? Looking for exhaust for my car not and deciding on what setup to go with. I want something just a bit louder than stock and more noticeable, this was the exhaust setup I was debating on.

Rmbrady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type r
Country flag
Can you elaborate on your setup? You have the AWE Touring exhaust setup installed on your car with the stock front pipe or aftermarket? Looking for exhaust for my car not and deciding on what setup to go with. I want something just a bit louder than stock and more noticeable, this was the exhaust setup I was debating on.

My car is completely stock other than the AWE exhaust. The AWE comes with a front pipe, so it's essentially a downpipe-back unit. I had the car on the highway earlier today, and it may be placebo effect, but the volume seemed better cruising at 65-75mph.

It's hard to recommend, or tell someone to avoid an exhaust system, because everyone is different obviously. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would not be bothered by the sound level. I had an STi with axlebacks that was way louder than this on the highway, but I was younger and DGAF, now I'd like a little more relaxing highway cruise.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
I have about 5,000 on my touring. I'm noticing that recently there are black spots on the rear of my car after driving. Is this oil passing through or something else?

saijintrunks

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Camry TRD
Country flag
My car is completely stock other than the AWE exhaust. The AWE comes with a front pipe, so it's essentially a downpipe-back unit. I had the car on the highway earlier today, and it may be placebo effect, but the volume seemed better cruising at 65-75mph.

It's hard to recommend, or tell someone to avoid an exhaust system, because everyone is different obviously. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would not be bothered by the sound level. I had an STi with axlebacks that was way louder than this on the highway, but I was younger and DGAF, now I'd like a little more relaxing highway cruise.
Yeah, my 2017 STI had the factory SPT performance exhaust and though it was nice sounding, it was also kinda of annoying on the freeway as well. I do agree as everyone has their own perspective/preference on things but I agree with you as far as having something a little more relaxing on the freeway.
Sponsored