Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now!

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I’m having a weird rattling noise coming from what sounds like the rear around the trunk area. It only happens at operating temps and 1.5k and 3k rpms. Checked the heat shield and there is no rubbing points. Any suggestions?
I started getting this issue now too. It almost sounds like license plate rattle but can’t tell and only happens when I put the car under heavy load.

did you mid pipe look like this?

Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! 41975724-7BE3-4BA5-9AD5-B82DAE1E76EE

nm797

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R CW
Country flag
I started getting this issue now too. It almost sounds like license plate rattle but can’t tell and only happens when I put the car under heavy load.

did you mid pipe look like this?

41975724-7BE3-4BA5-9AD5-B82DAE1E76EE.jpeg
Make sure every piece is as far up as tight as possible. I had to move the mid pipe further up towards the front of the car for a tighter fit.

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
mine was rom the heat shield by the front pipe. From the engine bay (yes engine bay) you can reach down with a long screwdriver or something similar and kinda pry up on the heat shield so it lays off/has more clearance from the FP
Make sure every piece is as far up as tight as possible. I had to move the mid pipe further up towards the front of the car for a tighter fit.
@MstrSHAKE Can you grab me some video of the noise? Can you hear it when hot and at idle? There is some adjustment in the height of the system through rotation of C29 but them mostly effects the back of the system.

Also, the hanger bushing that connects to C28 is asymmetric (Step 19) and having that the wrong direction will also cause some clearance issues.

On every installation we do, we clearance the front pipe heat shield so it is out of the way.

Here is the instructions link:
https://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/installation_instructions_awe_Civic_Type_R_Exhaust.pdf

Here is our Tips and Tricks Video:

Sometimes the slip fits need a little motivation from a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer (do not use a steel mallet or hammer). You can also hit them with penetrating oil to give them some lubrication, just know it will smell for a day or so after from that burning off.

Hopefully this is good resource for people in the future as well! Hit me up again through DM if I we can help you.

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
2021 Owners - Anyone have an issue with the front pipe gasket (OEM) being a different diameter than our front pipe (which reuses the OE gasket). I'm trying to figure out an issue with a 2021 and I don't have a 2021 to look at. LMK!

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
@MstrSHAKE Can you grab me some video of the noise? Can you hear it when hot and at idle? There is some adjustment in the height of the system through rotation of C29 but them mostly effects the back of the system.

Also, the hanger bushing that connects to C28 is asymmetric (Step 19) and having that the wrong direction will also cause some clearance issues.

On every installation we do, we clearance the front pipe heat shield so it is out of the way.

Here is the instructions link:
https://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/installation_instructions_awe_Civic_Type_R_Exhaust.pdf

Here is our Tips and Tricks Video:

Sometimes the slip fits need a little motivation from a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer (do not use a steel mallet or hammer). You can also hit them with penetrating oil to give them some lubrication, just know it will smell for a day or so after from that burning off.

Hopefully this is good resource for people in the future as well! Hit me up again through DM if I we can help you.
So it worked! The slip fits needed some extra seating in and the exhaust is all buttoned up and rattle free.

For anyone reading this that is pending installation, make sure the slip flits are tight in as much as possible.

I used some wood and a rubber mallet to help with pushing in a bit but it wasn’t that necessary. Just an extra pair of hands and rotating it with some elbow grease works.

shout out to @Dave/AWE for continuous support. ??

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
2021 Owners - Anyone have an issue with the front pipe gasket (OEM) being a different diameter than our front pipe (which reuses the OE gasket). I'm trying to figure out an issue with a 2021 and I don't have a 2021 to look at. LMK!
mine had no issue during install & is a 21

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Dualphase midpipe installed on Touring system today. Stock DP.

Thankfully, it is noticeably quieter at 2600-3000 cruising range.

OEM exhaust is up for sale.
Just curious - when you say that it's noticably quieter, are you coming from the original midpipe?

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I noticed mine was a little different than the one I had on my 18 and 20 model. It still went on but it wasn't necessarily flush like the others. What do you recommend? My friend and I said the same thing.

Sporto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Just curious - when you say that it's noticably quieter, are you coming from the original midpipe?
Yes the original AWE Touring Midpipe is annoyingly loud at highway cruising RPM but wait, for another $400 ( cost of the newly released dualphase AWE midpipe ) you can get your AWE Touring Exhaust system to sound like it should have from the start. (Droneless)

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Yes the original AWE Touring Midpipe is annoyingly loud at highway cruising RPM but wait, for another $400 ( cost of the newly released dualphase AWE midpipe ) you can get your AWE Touring Exhaust system to sound like it should have from the start. (Droneless)
Have you noticed any loss in low end growl when accelerating at lower RPM's? When I added a resonator to my Remus exhaust, it helped calm the drone and rasp that a catted DP introduced, but I also lost some of the low end growl and pops that I'd get just gently accelerating up to 3500 RPM in normal driving. I'm wondering if the new AWE resonator has a similar effect

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Have you noticed any loss in low end growl when accelerating at lower RPM's? When I added a resonator to my Remus exhaust, it helped calm the drone and rasp that a catted DP introduced, but I also lost some of the low end growl and pops that I'd get just gently accelerating up to 3500 RPM in normal driving. I'm wondering if the new AWE resonator has a similar effect
Thanks for the question, and I think I'm in a good position to answer. When we came out with the original spec for the CTR systems, we wanted to have a deeper sound track for the CTR. This is how we arrived at the Touring Edition system, a system that most of our customers love. Some of our customers asked for a more down-pipe friendly system, which drove me to push the dual-phase mid-pipe project internally.

The result is that with a catted, aftermarket downpipe there is no drone. With a stock downpipe there is a more OEM-like interior sound quality, but you still know you've got a system on the car.

I do notice that the dual-phase option for this system cuts the bass a bit, because at the end of the day it's that frequency range that causes drone - which is a function of NVH in the CTR thanks to the lack of sound insultation, stiffer bushings and engine mounts, etc.

That's the CTR Dual Phase and many have been buying it out of the gate and happy with it, and several of the Touring Edition people prefer their exhaust note a little more.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Dave. Can you elaborate more on the front pipe gasket you questioned about a few days ago? I responded above. Thanks.

Thanks for the question, and I think I'm in a good position to answer. When we came out with the original spec for the CTR systems, we wanted to have a deeper sound track for the CTR. This is how we arrived at the Touring Edition system, a system that most of our customers love. Some of our customers asked for a more down-pipe friendly system, which drove me to push the dual-phase mid-pipe project internally.

The result is that with a catted, aftermarket downpipe there is no drone. With a stock downpipe there is a more OEM-like interior sound quality, but you still know you've got a system on the car.

I do notice that the dual-phase option for this system cuts the bass a bit, because at the end of the day it's that frequency range that causes drone - which is a function of NVH in the CTR thanks to the lack of sound insultation, stiffer bushings and engine mounts, etc.

That's the CTR Dual Phase and many have been buying it out of the gate and happy with it, and several of the Touring Edition people prefer their exhaust note a little more.

gMcizzLe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR; 2014 Camaro SS
Country flag
I just upgraded my system to the dual-phase version. Much less drone/buzziness around 2.5k-2.8k RPM. I made my own video comparing the two
Sponsored