Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now!

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For those with a catless downpipe. I hear most say no drone...while some say it was drone city...did someone install it wrong that had drone (maybe they didn't ensure the pipe sleeve was full slipped on?)

I had hks and Rv6 downpipe and front pipe and it was fine...drone happened for a few days and went away (no idea how)...but the tips so close together drone me nuts.

Looking at this exhaust but tired of buying crap and it's not what I thought

InkedHisto

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
QUESTION:

I am very interested on getting the AWE Track Edition, although I've seen a ton of videos on it. I feel its not as aggressive as I want. (coming from a Evo, Sti and Golf R).

If i were to remove the rear resonator near the front pipe that comes with the system. Would it sound like a crappy straight pipe that most people do for a short cut? (no offense to those that did)

I'm worried by removing that resonator it'll sound really raspy.

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
For those with a catless downpipe. I hear most say no drone...while some say it was drone city...did someone install it wrong that had drone (maybe they didn't ensure the pipe sleeve was full slipped on?)

I had hks and Rv6 downpipe and front pipe and it was fine...drone happened for a few days and went away (no idea how)...but the tips so close together drone me nuts.

Looking at this exhaust but tired of buying crap and it's not what I thought
If you had a Legal Max I believe that would be quieter than our system.
QUESTION:

I am very interested on getting the AWE Track Edition, although I've seen a ton of videos on it. I feel its not as aggressive as I want. (coming from a Evo, Sti and Golf R).

If i were to remove the rear resonator near the front pipe that comes with the system. Would it sound like a crappy straight pipe that most people do for a short cut? (no offense to those that did)

I'm worried by removing that resonator it'll sound really raspy.
I don’t think it will sound great. The cat is also a very efficient muffler. You can go catless and open it up. What is your in-cabin comfort expectation?

I feel like the stiffer mounts and bushings in the CTR over a Golf R will definitely increase NVH with any mods you do like many here have experienced. Awesome chassIs though. Let us know if you have any questions. Hit me with a DM etc.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Okay from your response I either worded my question badly or you misunderstood.

Is there drone with the AWE and catless downpipe? That's what I'm asking

InkedHisto

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

I don’t think it will sound great. The cat is also a very efficient muffler. You can go catless and open it up. What is your in-cabin comfort expectation?

I feel like the stiffer mounts and bushings in the CTR over a Golf R will definitely increase NVH with any mods you do like many here have experienced. Awesome chassIs though. Let us know if you have any questions. Hit me with a DM etc.
To be honest. Coming from my past cars, drone doesnt really bother me. I dont really have other people in the car but my gf. I was just looking for a loud throaty exhaust system. Maybe updating the downpipe would help

OP
OP
Josh/AWE

Josh/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Okay from your response I either worded my question badly or you misunderstood.

Is there drone with the AWE and catless downpipe? That's what I'm asking
From our testing (and extensive time behind the wheel personally) we did not experience drone with a catted downpipe and the Touring Edition (we don't mess with catless stuff even for testing because of Earth♥, and the law). With that said, the tone is certainly elevated in all aspects, and in my opinion, is quite aggressive (in a good way).

Your previous configuration likely had packed mufflers in the rear. Our Touring Edition resonators do not have packing material in them, just our patented drone-canceling 180 Technology® that utilizes Helholtz properties. This results in max performance, no chance in soundtrack over time (like packed mufflers would endure due to the material thinning out/breaking down if it's of low quality), and a true soundtrack since the inside of the resonator resembles a straight-pipe.

The duty of the 180 Technology® resonator is to kill drone-prone frequencies within the interior, not make the car quiet. With this, it will be as loud as you allow it via the throttle. You will experience a break-in period as the pipes get coated in soot, which will mellow the tone out a bit, but it will kill drone-prone frequencies by design.

Again, we did development with a catted downpipe. Catless shouldn't introduce too many new variables but always result in an even higher increase in aggression.

Apologies for the long-winded response, just hoping to address your question and curiosities thoroughly and set expectations appropriately. :thumbsup:

PS:

To everyone: hoping you're all doing great at this time! Keep ya hands clean.

OP
OP
Josh/AWE

Josh/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
To be honest. Coming from my past cars, drone doesnt really bother me. I dont really have other people in the car but my gf. I was just looking for a loud throaty exhaust system. Maybe updating the downpipe would help
Don't remove that front res. It's designed for the motor to provide that deep exhaust note. Removing it would indeed introduce rasp.

I echo Dave's point, a DP will definitely open up the vocals that you're after.

Last edited:

InkedHisto

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Don't remove that drone res. It's designed for the motor to provide that deep exhaust note. Removing it would indeed introduce rasp.

I echo Dave's point, a DP will definitely open up the vocals that you're after.
Thank you for your response and information.

I've been in talks with a John Voss there with setting me up. Just waiting for him to send me a invoice of my order. Thanks!

OP
OP
Josh/AWE

Josh/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Thank you for your response and information.

I've been in talks with a John Voss there with setting me up. Just waiting for him to send me a invoice of my order. Thanks!
Great, and you're welcome. JVoss is a Jedi.

PS that was supposed to say "front res" in my reply before, not "drone res"

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From our testing (and extensive time behind the wheel personally) we did not experience drone with a catted downpipe and the Touring Edition (we don't mess with catless stuff even for testing because of Earth♥, and the law). With that said, the tone is certainly elevated in all aspects, and in my opinion, is quite aggressive (in a good way)..
Ah okay...so it was a catted aftermarket downpipe I was hearing...I saw the vid and thought that is the exhaust for me lol. Looks like I'm going back to Legamax though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Josh/AWE

Josh/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Ah okay...so it was a catted aftermarket downpipe I was hearing...I saw the vid and thought that is the exhaust for me lol. Looks like I'm going back to Legamax though.
We have videos of both the Touring Edition with the factory downpipe, and a catted aftermarket DP.

nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
I apologize in advance for my verbose nature. I just received my AWE street version this past Thursday and had it installed Friday on a 2019 FK8 w/ PRL Stage 1 intake w/K&N, PRL intercooler, running a canned Hondata tune.

I had the muffler delete on the stock exhaust and not knowing what they were doing, they took the rear resonator, too. (Yeah, I know.) Wasn't bad, but a bit of drone here, lots of drone there, particularly when cruising between 87 mph - 92 mph...which of course, none of us would ever do. Interfered a bit with conversation and listening to music unless it was pounding.

When I picked it up after the AWE system was installed and began slowly driving up the street, the first thing I noticed is that all the sound is in the rear. The factory system seemed to distribute the sound throughout the passenger cabin, but now all the sound is from the exhaust at the rear of the car. I like that. The second thing I noticed was that it was LOUD. But, as many already know, by the time I was a couple of miles from the shop, it had already quieted down a great deal.

Around 10:30 that night, a friend and I started off driving out to where the local street racing might, possibly take place if there was such a thing, but it was sprinkling and there was no one there. So, we headed out from the NOLA area to Biloxi, MS, which turned into Mobile, AL, then back to MS, taking the coast road (scenic route) all the way through the MS Gulf Coast, getting back on I-10 at Waveland and returning home. A little over 300 miles, but we had nothing better to do at the time thanks to that weenie…Covid-something…you know him.

By the time we got a hundred or so miles on it, cruising at 80 mph, you could always hear the AWE system, but we could speak at normal conversation level. The wind and tire noise were more intrusive. We were in AWE of how quiet it was (pun intended). We observed several characteristics, all of them positive.

It’s not a loud system except when you want to be, and it doesn’t require a remote control to vary the volume. It’s all in the throttle. Drive economically and it’s almost quiet. Drive it normally and it speaks but is not intrusive or excessive; I don’t feel as though I’m ‘dealing with it’. To my ears, it just sounds good. Go WOT and take it to redline and it screams bloody murder in a delicious way. Like good trouble is about to go down.

The most interesting thing is how the volume of the exhaust seems to track throttle and boost. Cruising on the Interstate, it’s so quiet that I forget about it. Give it a little throttle to make a little move changing lanes or go up a steep bridge and I hear it a little more. Give it half-throttle to get around a herd to catch your exit and as the boost comes on, here comes more volume. Not loud, but louder. This is exactly what I wanted.

When we got challenged by a foolish person driving what must have been a V6 Camaro just before Mobile, downshifted to 4th, went WOT and left them like a rock in the road, the exhaust was the perfect kind of loud. Still not anything as obnoxious as a straight-pipe solution, just loud and with a perfect barking tone.

I feel like I have the volume control of a $2500 - $3500 variable valve system at half the price (or less) and with no remote control necessary. It’s all in the throttle and boost. In my humble opinion, this is the perfect exhaust for a daily driver FK8, especially for those that can’t afford those higher priced options. I can afford a $3500 titanium, valve-equipped exhaust system, but why? This AWE street system is reasonably priced and has delivered everything I want. I started out kinda bummed that Full Race didn’t do an exhaust for the FK8 because they’re system sounds so good on our 2015 Si, but I’m not bummed any more. On the contrary, I’m happy as a pig in…stuff.

Now, just need to get the downpipe installed and get a real tune.

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
I apologize in advance for my verbose nature. I just received my AWE street version this past Thursday and had it installed Friday on a 2019 FK8 w/ PRL Stage 1 intake w/K&N, PRL intercooler, running a canned Hondata tune.

I had the muffler delete on the stock exhaust and not knowing what they were doing, they took the rear resonator, too. (Yeah, I know.) Wasn't bad, but a bit of drone here, lots of drone there, particularly when cruising between 87 mph - 92 mph...which of course, none of us would ever do. Interfered a bit with conversation and listening to music unless it was pounding.

When I picked it up after the AWE system was installed and began slowly driving up the street, the first thing I noticed is that all the sound is in the rear. The factory system seemed to distribute the sound throughout the passenger cabin, but now all the sound is from the exhaust at the rear of the car. I like that. The second thing I noticed was that it was LOUD. But, as many already know, by the time I was a couple of miles from the shop, it had already quieted down a great deal.

Around 10:30 that night, a friend and I started off driving out to where the local street racing might, possibly take place if there was such a thing, but it was sprinkling and there was no one there. So, we headed out from the NOLA area to Biloxi, MS, which turned into Mobile, AL, then back to MS, taking the coast road (scenic route) all the way through the MS Gulf Coast, getting back on I-10 at Waveland and returning home. A little over 300 miles, but we had nothing better to do at the time thanks to that weenie…Covid-something…you know him.

By the time we got a hundred or so miles on it, cruising at 80 mph, you could always hear the AWE system, but we could speak at normal conversation level. The wind and tire noise were more intrusive. We were in AWE of how quiet it was (pun intended). We observed several characteristics, all of them positive.

It’s not a loud system except when you want to be, and it doesn’t require a remote control to vary the volume. It’s all in the throttle. Drive economically and it’s almost quiet. Drive it normally and it speaks but is not intrusive or excessive; I don’t feel as though I’m ‘dealing with it’. To my ears, it just sounds good. Go WOT and take it to redline and it screams bloody murder in a delicious way. Like good trouble is about to go down.

The most interesting thing is how the volume of the exhaust seems to track throttle and boost. Cruising on the Interstate, it’s so quiet that I forget about it. Give it a little throttle to make a little move changing lanes or go up a steep bridge and I hear it a little more. Give it half-throttle to get around a herd to catch your exit and as the boost comes on, here comes more volume. Not loud, but louder. This is exactly what I wanted.

When we got challenged by a foolish person driving what must have been a V6 Camaro just before Mobile, downshifted to 4th, went WOT and left them like a rock in the road, the exhaust was the perfect kind of loud. Still not anything as obnoxious as a straight-pipe solution, just loud and with a perfect barking tone.

I feel like I have the volume control of a $2500 - $3500 variable valve system at half the price (or less) and with no remote control necessary. It’s all in the throttle and boost. In my humble opinion, this is the perfect exhaust for a daily driver FK8, especially for those that can’t afford those higher priced options. I can afford a $3500 titanium, valve-equipped exhaust system, but why? This AWE street system is reasonably priced and has delivered everything I want. I started out kinda bummed that Full Race didn’t do an exhaust for the FK8 because they’re system sounds so good on our 2015 Si, but I’m not bummed any more. On the contrary, I’m happy as a pig in…stuff.

Now, just need to get the downpipe installed and get a real tune.
Amazing write up. Mine just came in.. can't wait to install it and post my thoughts! Might be tonight.. but hopefully no later than this week.