Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now!

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm gonna DM you some highway clips on the gram hopefully they help! I'm so glad I went AWE
Thanks again for trying to help me out!
Sponsored

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I believe mine was around 3 weeks. They’re made to order.

soas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BRZ
Country flag
I think I can help on this subject, I have a catless DP with the AWE touring exhaust. I do not however have a clip of the sound, I will try to get one this weekend. This is by far the best sounding exhaust I have heard on this car especially with no cat it is loud and rowdy not tame at all, at least with a catless DP. I don’t think it drones necessarily but it is loud in the cabin at highway speeds 2400-2700 RPM and it might be drone to some people because I work around loud aircraft and am sure I have lost some hearing so that had some effect. But what I did to combat some of the boom in the cabin was put sound deadening mats in the trunk and side walls of trunk and that helped greatly. I also live is a small town that doesn’t require me to do 60+ so I don’t hear the loudness that often. I hope this helps your decision some if you have anymore questions just shoot me message.
I kinda feel like this is a byproduct of the car itself? Not trying to be snarky here.

I had various exhaust setups in my previous Integra, Camaro, and BRZ. All cars with very minimal sound deadening.

The Camaro (2002) was especially loud as it was a hatchback, and I can imagine the same applies to the FK8. Magnaflow setup on my Camaro sucked too, it had this constant BUHH-BUHHH-BUHHHH sound. That drives me crazy, but loudness doesn't. I'm curious to see how AWE measured "drone".

With the backseat folded down in my BRZ, it is much louder inside. Camaro had a divider for the cargo area that barely made a difference when covered.

As a contrast, sit in a German luxury car with an aftermarket exhaust - it's much more muffled with the windows up.

It is something we just have to acknowledge. Either stay stock, or get a very quiet exhaust, and/or line the trunk with sound deadener.

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
Two week update.

'Drone' is definitely a subjective thing. After driving it whenever the current situation permits...I can honestly say this is a must have upgrade for the Type R. Perfect on backroads and under bridges. People hear it coming now but it won't piss off the neighbors. It lets you know it's there when on the highway but not annoying at all. The pops I do get from time to time + burbles are definitely nice and almost feel like a reward when you get an upshift or rev match downshift just right. They happen sporadically. OTOH on something like the Veloster N where they happen every time you're off the gas (due to programming) it can actually start to feel synthetic. Anyway here's a bit of audiovisuals:
Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! MVIMG_20200508_173526
Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! MVIMG_20200508_174021
Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! MVIMG_20200509_112353
Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! MVIMG_20200509_114518
Honda Civic 10th gen Presenting the AWE Exhaust Suite for the FK8 Civic Type R. Available now! IMG_0017

Warm Start Comparison:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Two week update.

'Drone' is definitely a subjective thing. After driving it whenever the current situation permits...I can honestly say this is a must have upgrade for the Type R. Perfect on backroads and under bridges. People hear it coming now but it won't piss off the neighbors. It lets you know it's there when on the highway but not annoying at all. The pops I do get from time to time + burbles are definitely nice and almost feel like a reward when you get an upshift or rev match downshift just right. They happen sporadically. OTOH on something like the Veloster N where they happen every time you're off the gas (due to programming) it can actually start to feel synthetic. Anyway here's a bit of audiovisuals:
MVIMG_20200508_173526.jpg
MVIMG_20200508_174021.jpg
MVIMG_20200509_112353.jpg
MVIMG_20200509_114518.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg

Warm Start Comparison:
Well the Veloster N's setup is synthetic in how they get the pops to go. They could make it seem less synthetic by programming in some variation for the pops they make. It literally pops the same way every single time... That would get annoying/old after a while.

Your exhaust looks good. And you are correct, drone is definitely subjective.

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
Two week update.

MVIMG_20200508_173526.jpg
MVIMG_20200508_174021.jpg
MVIMG_20200509_112353.jpg
MVIMG_20200509_114518.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg

Warm Start Comparison:
Sounding mean man. This is my first choice.. what kind of downpipe are you planning to go to? I'm interested in hearing what it will sound like after that gets changed!

NT413

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m running a catted dp and a 93 tune. The touring exhaust Is definitely loud (the exact reason I bought it) and sounds great. I did have drone @ ~65-70 cruising in 6th on the highway. Enough to give a slight headache after a few minutes. Understandable given the setup I’m running. I also have the spare tire kit offered by Honda. That replaces the foam insert that comes with the air pump. I took a guess that opening up that space was amplifying the exhaust noise and creating the drone I was receiveing on the highway. I just sound deadened the spare tire compartment. It’s still loud but now 0 drone, It’s perfect! This system was my first choice and loving it.

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
that front pipe was a BEYOTCH to get in though. At least for me lol
Thankfully I had help. Friend split from Nissan and started a shop so he's my go to when the task is too much of a PITA to do with jackstands and poor lighting in my garage :\

Sounding mean man. This is my first choice.. what kind of downpipe are you planning to go to? I'm interested in hearing what it will sound like after that gets changed!
Appreciate it man! I'm going with a catted PRL piece, everyone seemed to be sold out at the time of this purchase but impatience got the best of me. I'll grab one on the next sale. There's a few good videos out there with the catted DP setup and they got the end result I want. OEM+++ basically. TORQ Toolbox has a really good one which sold me on this setup, the aftermarket DP gives those pops even more volume.
Well the Veloster N's setup is synthetic in how they get the pops to go. They could make it seem less synthetic by programming in some variation for the pops they make. It literally pops the same way every single time... That would get annoying/old after a while.

Your exhaust looks good. And you are correct, drone is definitely subjective.
I like that they have some function but yeah takes away from the experience a bit.

Thanks man, diamond black looks better than I expected. Definitely gives it more of a European flavor (perfectly fine on a technically EDM car) than the old fashioned burnt tips or chromey silver.

Last edited:

Ramster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8 / Supra MKV / Tesla M3P / G80 M3C xDrive
Country flag
Finally swapped to the AWE Touring. First this thing is quieter than my Milltek non-resonated Exhaust, deeper tone, does have some minor drone like some people mentioned, less crackle and pops compared to previous exhaust. Going to wait to break it in more since I run a catted PRL DP. Exhaust looks really nice but was a bit shocked on how much more quiet it is, nonetheless love the exhaust if you want that deep tone and nice black chrome tips.

Last edited:

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
a bit shocked on how much more quiet it is
Thanks for your feedback. This is invaluable to help set expectations as well as understand where we fall in the market. I know our Euro stuff is a lot louder than Milltek, so it's interesting to hear we are quieter for this application of the Touring. Thanks again for chiming in!

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dave, do you guys have any tips for the front pipe install? Did you guys just remove the heat shield above front pipe and maneuver it around until it finally went in? Or did you loosen anything else up. I’m going to be reinstalling mine sometime soon and I hated that front pipe the first time.
The installation PDF says to remove the heat shield.
Sponsored