Prepaid maintenance package. worth it?

phoenix1987

First Name
Sameer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Hello everyone. Hope everyone is having a fantastic day.
I recently bought a new 2018 Honda Civic sedan in California. I am loving the car! During the buying process, the finance manager at the dealer gave me many additional add-on options to add like extended warranty, anti-theft stuff etc. I ended up adding their "prepaid maintenance package" (from PSC Autoshield). It was added to my finance loan. Now that I think of it, I should have probably just bought it instead of adding it in the loan. Feel a bit stupid about it now. So the package cost is $447 for 5 maintenance visits. They say it is for 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000, 25000 miles. They said that the 15000 miles service is a big one which otherwise costs around $300. I later called the service center of this Honda dealership and asked about the cost of service at 15000 miles. They said that according to the maintenance minder, the car dashboard may indicate AB12 (something like that) at 15000 miles, in which case it is $325. Really?

Also, later I understood that the first oil change visit is free at the dealer service center. I was also told that oil change should be done when the Honda dashboard show the orange wrench indicating oil at 15%. The 15% can happen anywhere between 5000-10000 miles depending on how you drive. So, I will have my first free oil change maybe around 7000 miles and the second one around 14000 miles, It means that I will use my first coupon around 14000 miles.

My question is, do you think it is worth it? Too expensive? Do you think this actually saves money with better quality of work? I do want to have all the Honda recommended maintenance done on my car on a timely manner for cars heath but wondering if this is just overpriced.

I can cancel this within 60 days and get 100% refund. After 60 days, it is pro-rated. The refund amount gets reduced from the loan principal amount. The interesting part is that my monthly EMI does not come down even if I cancel, even-though my loan principal amount will reduce. I spoke with the someone at the dealership and they said that if I cancel, my increased EMI will remain the same but I will finish my loan faster as the principal reduces. Seems strange. I am not sure if the final interest that I pay will be same as-if I did not add the prepaid package in the first place.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you for reading and all suggestions are appreciated!!

Regards
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Hello everyone. Hope everyone is having a fantastic day.
I recently bought a new 2018 Honda Civic sedan in California. I am loving the car! During the buying process, the finance manager at the dealer gave me many additional add-on options to add like extended warranty, anti-theft stuff etc. I ended up adding their "prepaid maintenance package" (from PSC Autoshield). It was added to my finance loan. Now that I think of it, I should have probably just bought it instead of adding it in the loan. Feel a bit stupid about it now. So the package cost is $447 for 5 maintenance visits. They say it is for 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000, 25000 miles. They said that the 15000 miles service is a big one which otherwise costs around $300. I later called the service center of this Honda dealership and asked about the cost of service at 15000 miles. They said that according to the maintenance minder, the car dashboard may indicate AB12 (something like that) at 15000 miles, in which case it is $325. Really?

Also, later I understood that the first oil change visit is free at the dealer service center. I was also told that oil change should be done when the Honda dashboard show the orange wrench indicating oil at 15%. The 15% can happen anywhere between 5000-10000 miles depending on how you drive. So, I will have my first free oil change maybe around 7000 miles and the second one around 14000 miles, It means that I will use my first coupon around 14000 miles.

My question is, do you think it is worth it? Too expensive? Do you think this actually saves money with better quality of work? I do want to have all the Honda recommended maintenance done on my car on a timely manner for cars heath but wondering if this is just overpriced.

I can cancel this within 60 days and get 100% refund. After 60 days, it is pro-rated. The refund amount gets reduced from the loan principal amount. The interesting part is that my monthly EMI does not come down even if I cancel, even-though my loan principal amount will reduce. I spoke with the someone at the dealership and they said that if I cancel, my increased EMI will remain the same but I will finish my loan faster as the principal reduces. Seems strange. I am not sure if the final interest that I pay will be same as-if I did not add the prepaid package in the first place.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you for reading and all suggestions are appreciated!!

Regards
Cancel and get it of off your loan principal. Anything offered at the dealership can be purchased at half of their price. There’s no such thing as 5.10.15k service. You should follow MM codes that appear depending on your driving patterns.

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
Cancel and get it of off your loan principal. Anything offered at the dealership can be purchased at half of their price. There’s no such thing as 5.10.15k service. You should follow MM codes that appear depending on your driving patterns.
Pretty much agree. Follow the maintenance minder built into your car and read your manual. They will tell you what you need to do and when you need to do it. All these service packages are just there to make extra money, especially if you add it to your loan and it is incurring interest. The only thing I would say is worth getting is the wheel and rim insurance if you have low profile tires and don't plan on swapping out your OEM wheels.

OP
OP

phoenix1987

First Name
Sameer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it!! Yes, I read many places that MM codes is what one should follow. I will cancel it and remove it from my loan principal.

OP
OP

phoenix1987

First Name
Sameer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Pretty much agree. Follow the maintenance minder built into your car and read your manual. They will tell you what you need to do and when you need to do it. All these service packages are just there to make extra money, especially if you add it to your loan and it is incurring interest. The only thing I would say is worth getting is the wheel and rim insurance if you have low profile tires and don't plan on swapping out your OEM wheels.
Thank you for your reply and all the information!! Appreciate it!

samlego2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 2017 Sport
At my local dealer, they had a package for 10 oil change for 50$Cad each including oil filter replacement.
Took it on my plan so every oil change i do every 10 000km (every fall and autumn) so within my 5 year 100 000km loan i would not have any problem with "you put shitty oil on your engine, so this is why it wrecked" comment by my dealer (true story of my mom at a honda Dealer).

Every other plan in my opinion is worthless, they say the brake is due on inspection, do it by your own at a local garage that you trust, or DIY it. But make sure you keep receipt.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
My first service was at around 10,000 miles per the MM. $62.00. My other Si's were about the same for each service except the 30K which required an air filter and cabin filter. $125. I spent under 300 for 30K miles.
Sponsored