First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R GT FK8
Country flag
Hey Guys,

is it possible in 2021 to replace the useless Stock Headunit with a Aftermarket Headunit?

I have the Premium Audio System. 11 Speakers.
Sponsored

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
hi there. i am looking for the same thing. There are a few options, but all Chinese...I’m not yet convinced it’s worth it. Check the 9“ head unit thread.

Misa33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Hatchback Sport Plus
Country flag
If you want to just replace the headunit, then no. Android headunits will not connect with the factory amp. Actually no aftermarket headunit will connect with the factory amp because of Honda's proprietary interface.

If you're planning to install a new amp, then yes but you need to retain the factory amp. Following this way will force you to introduce a dsp in order to flat the signal of the first amp and also it won't be cheap because of the cost of an amp that can power so many channels (assuming that you are not willing to cancel some speakers).

Also there is the promising Axxess AXDSPX-HN3 product although some problems have been reported at this forum. Also it is not available in Europe.

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
If you want to just replace the headunit, then no. Android headunits will not connect with the factory amp. Actually no aftermarket headunit will connect with the factory amp because of Honda's proprietary interface.

If you're planning to install a new amp, then yes but you need to retain the factory amp. Following this way will force you to introduce a dsp in order to flat the signal of the first amp and also it won't be cheap because of the cost of an amp that can power so many channels (assuming that you are not willing to cancel some speakers).

Also there is the promising Axxess AXDSPX-HN3 product although some problems have been reported at this forum. Also it is not available in Europe.
I'm looking to replace my head unit in a type R. I'm going for a new amps and speakers so I understand it's possible. What are the drawbacks of an after market HU? Could you provide a model or link a recommended HU?

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I
I'm looking to replace my head unit in a type R. I'm going for a new amps and speakers so I understand it's possible. What are the drawbacks of an after market HU? Could you provide a model or link a recommended HU?
The main drawbacks are not being able to reset your maintenance reminder, loss of functions on the tach. not able to reset low tire pressure, heated seats function and voided warranty. Depending where you live, you might no longer pass inspection because some shops wont pass a car that cant get some of its maintenance codes reset. Putting back to stock unit sounds like a pain in the ass just to do inspection every year. I have the 17 civic si. I didn't know that the stock amp would restrict me when I bought a tesla style unit. I gave up on the project because I didn't have it in me to bypass the amp and spend over $1000 on an amp that can run through multiple channels since it cannot be done on a basic amp for subs

Misa33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Additionally, you will loss the configuration functions for Honda Sensing system. This system is standard at EU and includes Collision Mitigation Breaking system, Road Departure Mitigation system, LKAS, etc. These systems will still be operational but you will not be able to configure them through HU.

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Additionally, you will loss the configuration functions for Honda Sensing system. This system is standard at EU and includes Collision Mitigation Breaking system, Road Departure Mitigation system, LKAS, etc. These systems will still be operational but you will not be able to configure them through HU.
What do you mean by configuring then? In what way? how can you operate cruise control for example?

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I

The main drawbacks are not being able to reset your maintenance reminder, loss of functions on the tach. not able to reset low tire pressure, heated seats function and voided warranty. Depending where you live, you might no longer pass inspection because some shops wont pass a car that cant get some of its maintenance codes reset. Putting back to stock unit sounds like a pain in the ass just to do inspection every year. I have the 17 civic si. I didn't know that the stock amp would restrict me when I bought a tesla style unit. I gave up on the project because I didn't have it in me to bypass the amp and spend over $1000 on an amp that can run through multiple channels since it cannot be done on a basic amp for subs
With this I can live. The sensing thing I'm not sure.

Misa33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What do you mean by configuring then? In what way? how can you operate cruise control for example?
You will not have access to the HU screens that allow you to configure parameters used by sensing system. However, sensing systems will operate as usual using the default parameters.

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
You will not have access to the HU screens that allow you to configure parameters used by sensing system. However, sensing systems will operate as usual using the default parameters.
OK. Does that mean I can't shut down traction control i R mode?

Misa33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes if traction control is configured by HU screen (is it? I don't have access to a fk8). In fk7 all the settings are under "Vehicle Settings" section.

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Yes if traction control is configured by HU screen (is it? I don't have access to a fk8). In fk7 all the settings are under "Vehicle Settings" section.
It's not through the HU, it's with a switch next to the shifter.

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch 1.5 Sport Plus
Country flag
Hey Guys,

is it possible in 2021 to replace the useless Stock Headunit with a Aftermarket Headunit?

I have the Premium Audio System. 11 Speakers.
If you have the OEM with physical buttons and volume knob and you finally change it, I'm interested in buying your OEM head unit.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
If you have the OEM with physical buttons and volume knob and you finally change it, I'm interested in buying your OEM head unit.
bad news. the premium stock radio unit isn't compatible with the lesser trims. The connections are different and it relies on the honda amp to run

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch 1.5 Sport Plus
Country flag
bad news. the premium stock radio unit isn't compatible with the lesser trims. The connections are different and it relies on the honda amp to run
Yes, I know. I also have the premium audio system. But the older with the touch buttons and I hate them.
Sponsored