premium amp ?

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
wondering if the amp in the premium is a true 10 channel amp. meaning 10 separate amps.
toying whit the idea that the optical inputs in some dsp's may work with our system. or could it be a 6 channel with crossovers for the four main channels. two rights, two lefts, one sub and one center.

one that interests me
https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/digital-signal-processors/dm-810/

one question so far is the optical out put only 2 channel on the head unit? if so this should work as it seems the optical is only two channels input. ( i don't know if optical can carry more than 2). might mean fader wont work.
also wondering what the center channel is used for. and if i disconnect the optical will it still work.
anyway this is many months off before i'm ready.

thank in advance.
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
wondering if the amp in the premium is a true 10 channel amp. meaning 10 separate amps.
toying whit the idea that the optical inputs in some dsp's may work with our system. or could it be a 6 channel with crossovers for the four main channels. two rights, two lefts, one sub and one center.

one that interests me

one question so far is the optical out put only 2 channel on the head unit? if so this should work as it seems the optical is only two channels input. ( i don't know if optical can carry more than 2). might mean fader wont work.
also wondering what the center channel is used for. and if i disconnect the optical will it still work.

thank in advance.
Yes it's a true 10 channel and no you won't be able to put the dm-810. Center is used for music and nav voice

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

one that interests me

thank in advance.
In the Premium system, the head unit outputs a Honda Custom Optical Digital signal, representing a Stereo (2 Channel) Output, at full volume.

The AMP receives this Optical Digital signal and splits it up, through DSP filters into 10 separate channels, that each go through 10 similar power amplifiers, to drive the 10 speakers
The gain of these amps are set by a separate non-optical serial data stream, between the head Unit and the Amp .
This non-optical data stream, also control the Bass, Mid, Treble frequency responses, as well as the gain for the SUB, and also the mute..
As a safety feature, if this control digital signal gets disconnected, the amps revert to zero output. (Mutes)
Also added in a two other analogue signals, to appropriate amp channels -- BEEP, and Navigation sound.

As far as I know, this is Custom to Honda .. there are no 3rd party manufacturers producing a compatible Amp that would interface to the Premium Systems Head Unit.

Most likely, Honda has copyright/patents on this system, so no other manufacturer is going to develop and try to sell a compatible Amp.

Technically, it would not be that difficult to design and produce a compatible amp, but it would not be worth trying to do so as a viable business (for both profit and legal reasons)