Pre-made mounts or adhesives for tweeter installation?

tl364

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Hi all, I'm replacing the speakers in my '21 sport hatch with Rockford Fosgate components. I've managed to take up the slack/spacing between the stock sail panel cutout and the speaker flush mount, but the metal retaining ring isn't very strong. Are there any pre-made tweeter adapters for our cars? If not, what adhesive would you recommend for setting these in place solidly?
Honda Civic 10th gen Pre-made mounts or adhesives for tweeter installation? 20210719_163252

Honda Civic 10th gen Pre-made mounts or adhesives for tweeter installation? 20210719_163307

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
To me any glue can be toxic in extreme temperature of the cabin. But clear silicon probably works and can easily be removed. But not sure if it's toxic at high or low temps, but there are high temp versions available. Something like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-3-fl-oz-Silicone-Clear-Multipurpose-Adhesive/3454788, but look for the high temperature version.

But the best solution, I think, is the bracket that came with my Focal (pictured below pointed to by red arrow). The width of the bracket is perfect fit for the two legs to grab onto the base of the OEM sail base and you just screw the bracket in the middle (green dot) to the tweeter. The screw will pull the tweeter flush with the front mount. I didn't need to use any glue with my setup. The red drawing is how the bracket would sit and the green is the where the screw goes.

Honda Civic 10th gen Pre-made mounts or adhesives for tweeter installation? 1626743230405

Honda Civic 10th gen Pre-made mounts or adhesives for tweeter installation? 1626744237443

OP
OP

tl364

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
To me any glue can be toxic in extreme temperature of the cabin. But clear silicon probably works and can easily be removed. But not sure if it's toxic at high or low temps, but there are high temp versions available. Something like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-3-fl-oz-Silicone-Clear-Multipurpose-Adhesive/3454788, but look for the high temperature version.

But the best solution, I think, is the bracket that came with my Focal (pictured below pointed to by red arrow). The width of the bracket is perfect fit for the two legs to grab onto the base of the OEM sail base and you just screw the bracket in the middle (green dot) to the tweeter. The screw will pull the tweeter flush with the front mount. I didn't need to use any glue with my setup. The red drawing is how the bracket would sit and the green is the where the screw goes.

1626743230405.png

1626744237443.png
I think I can see what you mean, does that metal clip basically attach the tweeter to the sail panel, but then the stock ring snaps over that (covering it up so you don't see the metal bracket from the other side when installed)? Some pics of your install would be awesome!

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I kick myself for not taking more detail pics. I only took one of the tweeter. The Focal tweeter basically drops into the OEM opening with the ring removed. The second pic shows the Focal adapter without the tweeter installed. The Focal adapter is flared on top and it catches perfectly to the lip of the OEM opening. The screw in the second pic is screwed into the metal bracket in the back that its legs catch the base of the opening on the other side. So the tighter you screw, the tighter the seal against the adapter and the OEM opening lip. After the adapter is secured, you just drop the tweeter in and use the supplied tool to turn the tweeter one way to lock it into the adapter and then put on the grill.

Honda Civic 10th gen Pre-made mounts or adhesives for tweeter installation? 1626748653159

Honda Civic 10th gen Pre-made mounts or adhesives for tweeter installation? 1626748471065

Honda Civic 10th gen Pre-made mounts or adhesives for tweeter installation? 1626748182069

OP
OP

tl364

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I kick myself for not taking more detail pics. I only took one of the tweeter. The Focal tweeter basically drops into the OEM opening with the ring removed. The second pic shows the Focal adapter without the tweeter installed. The Focal adapter is flared on top and it catches perfectly to the lip of the OEM opening. The screw in the second pic is screwed into the metal bracket in the back that its legs catch the base of the opening on the other side. So the tighter you screw, the tighter the seal against the adapter and the OEM opening lip. After the adapter is secured, you just drop the tweeter in and use the supplied tool to turn the tweeter one way to lock it into the adapter and then put on the grill.

1626748653159.png

1626748471065.png

1626748182069.png
Thanks for the pics! The best one you took was of the box, using the product model number I found the user manual that does a pretty nice job of showing how the mounting system works. It looks like tightening the screw pushes the metal bracket into the back of the sail panel and simultaneously pulls the speaker cup towards the front of the panel, making a nice panel sandwich! I think I can design and 3D print something similar that will work with the RF tweeters I have, worst comes to worst though, aluminum is cheap and easy to work with...will keep this post updated!

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the pics! The best one you took was of the box, using the product model number I found the user manual that does a pretty nice job of showing how the mounting system works. It looks like tightening the screw pushes the metal bracket into the back of the sail panel and simultaneously pulls the speaker cup towards the front of the panel, making a nice panel sandwich! I think I can design and 3D print something similar that will work with the RF tweeters I have, worst comes to worst though, aluminum is cheap and easy to work with...will keep this post updated!
That's what I said. Don't you speak English? lol..

I'm not sure aluminum will do it because it will probably give under pressure unless it's relatively thick I guess. The Focal bracket is made of steel. Maybe you can buy a Focal mounting kit or something but not sure if the bracket is tall enough or too tall tho.
Sponsored