Practicle Oil Dilution Measurement

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Finally got around to doing some actual Oil Dilution measurements.

Ref: 10th Gen 1.5L Turbo engine:

Question: How does the amount of Oil Dilution (fuel in the oil), correspond to dipstick reading ?

Answer: Assuming no oil Loss, and that all the extra volume of liquid added to the oil is Fuel

The distance from the Top Mark to the top of the Orange Plastic part on the Dipstick is 0.25 Quarts.

Obtained from:
My oil was at the top of the Orange Plastic, cold oil, rested overnight.
I sucked out enough oil to bring the level down to the top (Max) marker.
Amount of oil sucked out = 0.25 Quarts.​

So, if the car had been filled with Gas free Oil, it should take 3.7 Quarts (including the oil filter)
So a rise from the Max mark to the top of the Orange Plastic is

100* (0.25/3.7) = 6.75% Oil Dilution.

Assuming that typical Max oil dilution before significant risk of engine damage is 5%.
Then the maximum acceptable oil level rise = Oil should not rise above the top of Orange Plastic on Dipstick.

This assumes that the new oil was filled to the TOP Max Mark .. which I believe is typically NOT the case.
Unless you know how much oil was originally put into the car at the last oil change, ie where on the Dipstick it reads when cold, it is not possible to determine the amount of rise.

In theory, the amount of Gas (and water) in the oil is a function of miles driven, and how those more recent miles were driven.. ie Short trips, or longer trips where the oil reaches its max running temperature, and has a chance to drive off any fuel in the oil.

Conclusion: If you want to reasonably accurately monitor and measure your Oil Dilution, you need to know the dipstick reading at oil change time, when most of the oil has been replaced, and assume that is zero Oil dilution.
Ideally it should be at the MAX mark .. not below, not above ...
GOOD LUCK getting your Dealer to fill it that accurately !!

BTW: the 0.24 Quart of oil that I drew off to get the level to the MAX mark on the dipstick, did NOT smell of gas :)
I am therefore assuming that my recent driving has driven off most of any gas that may have got into the fuel.
It also implies that the oil was OVERFILLED (at factory -- not yet had 1st oil change - approx 2000 miles)

Equipment used:

Hand pump + 3/16 Fuel hose.. which is small enough in diameter to feed down the dipstick hole, and reach down far enough into the oil, to be able to pump.)The 3/16 hose fits nicely into the bigger Red hose that comes with the pump.
(1/4 tube, or the smaller 1/4 tube that comes with the pump as an accessory, is too big a diameter to feed down all the way to the oil)

Hand Pump
https://www.lowes.com/pd/hopkins-siphon-pump/1000731538

Honda Civic 10th gen Practicle Oil Dilution Measurement 079976108034

DIPSTICK Hole Hose
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-3-16-in-x-10-ft-Rubber-Fuel-Hose/1000365067

Honda Civic 10th gen Practicle Oil Dilution Measurement 091712018513