darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
Overkill?

Tint is kind of a must since I’m in FL

I’ve never done paint protection for my other vehicles but to be fair I’ve only recently started washing my own vehicles and paying attention to the paint

Overkill to ppf and ceramic coat or worth a shot if money isn’t a huge concern?
Sponsored

OP
OP

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
I should also add I plan to use this car as a daily driver and swap my cars every three to five years

Primarily looking into this to make car washing and maintenance easier but not sure if it’s worth the cost?

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
Full front ppf and tint is a must

Ceramic coat just depends if you have no idea how to care for your paint or are too lazy to apply wax etc then maybe...

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
So I have had my type R since release date in 17. I live in NC where they both salt and drit/rock the roads in winter. Also my city, asheville, has had every single road under construction for years now. I have no film on my car and I have only had one small chip. I am one of the few that will say PPF is a waste of money. nothing and i mean nothing is gonna stop a rock traveling at 70 miles an hour from damaging the paint. What ends up happening is you then get a ppf punctured and you have to spend even more to get that fixed. also these 1000\2000 ceramic coats are BS as well. The product cost 50 bucks and the prep you can do your self. I do my own paint maintenance and after 2 years i have zero swirl marks or damage and i haven't done any of that expensive stuff to my car. people are spending more in paint protection then the cost of getting the car repainted it is silly. and nothing I mean nothing you do is gonna stop the real damage that devalues the car anyway. like shopping cart dings and doors being slammed into your at parking lots.

Ceramic coats are nice but dont pay these crazy prices to have one put on. There is a place here in my town does it for 400 bucks I have no idea why people are paying 2 and 3 grand for it. now if you have a car with a 4000k paint job yeah maybe ppf . but on these cars especially if you trade it in later it is silly to spend that money on it. Im seeing people spend 5 and 6 k on these cars ppf. ceramic. after market parts. mods. wraps.. then they turn around and trade it. the amount of money they are pissing away.

I digress..lol . long story short. On my Si i got 2 nice rock dings. 30 bucks and the dings were pulled and 40 bucks and the chips were repaired. like nothing happened. so in my 2 years of owning it i spent 70 bucks fixing rock dings compared to spending 1 or 2 k in ppf to avoid it makes no sense,

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
nothing you do is gonna stop the real damage that devalues the car anyway. like shopping cart dings and doors being slammed into your at parking lots.

Body side molding and Door Edge guards will help with those

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't think it's worth if you change cars every 3-5 years like myself. For the price of it, you can have the whole front end repainted when you plan to sell it for less than the price of PPF.

PPF isn't "self healing" like they say. Lots of marks get left on the film. Marks that I feel like would have buffed out of a painted bumper.
There's also a lot of dust/lint that accumulates all around the edges of the film. Also, my xpel ultimate started turning yellowish after less than 2 years. You could see it really easily on my white car.

Random

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R - Blue
Country flag
For me personally, i went tint, PPF, and ceramic coating. I live in the bay area. Prior to the CTR, I had a wrx with no PPF or ceramic coat. After 5yrs of ownership, I had lots of chips in the hood and front bumper. So based on that, I opted for PPF and Ceramic coating. I also don't have a garage for my car. So far, I think it's worth it. But, only been 3-4 months of ownership on the CTR that I daily. So only time will tell whether it was worth it or not. My advice is if you are OCD about your paint, you should probably do it but don't expect absolute protection. Also, depends on how clean your roads are and other environmental factors and car usage. Like if you track the car, I think you should for sure expect some chips and stuff to occur.

catspaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '04 RX8
Country flag
I went full matte PPF + tint on my CTR. After somebody keyed up every single panel of my RX-8, I wasn't about to let that happen to my new car. It was pricey, but it lasts 12-15 years at least and cleaning is a cinch.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I have a 1500 miles 2019 CTR, garaged most of the time, wend driver.
Got it delivered in January 2019. After it spent about 1 month in the garage. I ceramic coated it myself (no prior experience):
- on the painted surfaces(painted door interiors, engine bay) / gloss plastics: 2 layers Carpro Cquartz UK 3.0 + 2 layers Carpro Gliss
- on lower plastics - 2 layers Carpro Skin
- on windows 2 layers: Flyby Forte - Extreme Glass Sealant
- rims 2 layers CQuartz UK 3.0

This is the result(had still the winter wheels): https://www.civicx.com/threads/offi...pe-r-picture-thread.12974/page-31#post-605326

This work took me about 4 wends. All these angles, surfaces, details take a lot of time. It's mainly to protect from swirls, sun, fading and clean it easier.
Why ceramic DIY?
- I don't trust anybody (shop/garage) to leave there the car there out of sight. Even less to let them dismantle it to install ppf or such stuff.
- I can do the job in a more responsible way(insist on details) because I care about my car.
- I won't pay 1-2 k euros for this. Yes I spent time, but I enjoyed it, I learned smth and found it relaxing and therapeutic
- I got more familiar with the car, got to know it better, every angle/space. It was really fun.

Yes there are a few small unnoticeable imperfections(did not buff enough) but that's expected since the garage lighting sources are not pro level. But I am pleased with overall result, how the car has this glass shine that makes lines stand out more and that is easy to clean.
All the consumables cost me about 400 euros.

As for ppf, after I researched the detailers forums, youtube I figured the removal, maintenance are complex. Not to mention problems when removing: glue sticking out to paint and having to polish, paint getting off. So I decided not to ppf. Since is not a daily driver and is garaged.

I try to avoid stone chips by keeping distance fro the cars ahead and installing RallyArmor mud guards(I know not very sexy but practical). Works quite well.
This is my take on cc and ppf adapted to my situation.

Coldpizza

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Definitely a matter of personal preference on getting ppf and ceramic. Having owned multiple Honda/Acura vehicles, I’ve always found the paint is disappointingly soft. I upgraded the bumpers on my black 2G TSX to the Acura aero options which come painted from the factory and contemplated adding ppf to the front but didn’t. Within a couple of months the condition of the front was already pretty sad from driving 60 miles round trip on the highway for work every day - I didn’t have large rock chips, but had already accumulated countless of the tiny ones that had peppered my bumper making it look dull. Ppf won’t stop larger rocks/debris but it’s i think it’s thick enough to withstand a majority of the smaller ones. Also, I prefer to keep factory paint as opposed to repainting, so ppf was a good choice for me.

I think that ceramic coating making it easier to clean a car is a huge benefit.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
i have full front clip covered with PPF. I think i finally got one tiny rock chip that at least nicked the ppf on my bumper after 17k miles. The rest of the front end looks pristine.

IMO i like ppf because its not only rock chips it protects against, but things like bird poop which etch your paint within hours if not cleaned off. Its why I also got my roof covered as well.

Every 6 mo I use Carpro Reload spray to refresh the water beading properties of the film. Still works great.

If not going PPF on the body panels, i would suggest at minimum PPFing your headlights because once they yellow its very hard to make it clear long term. It's also much cheaper to apply PPF to. But then again, might not be worth if you'll only have the car short term.

Last edited:

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Coldpizza - if you DD it I guess you get an advantage overall with ppf
@ez12a - I carry a small bottle of Carpro eraser (isopropyl alcohol based) to remove car poop, tree resin, bugs on the spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
Thanks for everyone's input, I think I am going to skip both the PPF and the ceramic coating, I will opt for the tint though of course

For PPF, in talking with a few owners who have gone that route, the general consensus is that I would likely have to remove and reapply within 2 years if I was concerned with the PPF looking spotless (rock chips and dirt accumulation on the edges) given my situation: white car, daily driver, driving 50-100 miles roundtrip per day x 5 days/week

For coating, in talking with a few owners who have gone that route, I'd run a higher risk of mineral deposits/water spots since I can't garage the car and have to park outside. Conveniently where the sprinkler system always splashes my car.

I'll stick to good ole sealant and wax then (looking into the combo of Jescar + Collinite)

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for everyone's input, I think I am going to skip both the PPF and the ceramic coating, I will opt for the tint though of course

For PPF, in talking with a few owners who have gone that route, the general consensus is that I would likely have to remove and reapply within 2 years if I was concerned with the PPF looking spotless (rock chips and dirt accumulation on the edges) given my situation: white car, daily driver, driving 50-100 miles roundtrip per day x 5 days/week

For coating, in talking with a few owners who have gone that route, I'd run a higher risk of mineral deposits/water spots since I can't garage the car and have to park outside. Conveniently where the sprinkler system always splashes my car.

I'll stick to good ole sealant and wax then (looking into the combo of Jescar + Collinite)
True you get some water spots. But not so visible on a white car. On PMM even they are visible looking from 20 cm up-close.

I used a silicone-based sealant on my previous car(Bmw 4 series). Wolfgang deepgloss paint sealant 3.0. A similar product. It's more difficult to apply: it takes effort to buff it, thick consistence makes leaves small spaces unbuffed/with excess material, it permanently stains porous plastics/rubber. I works only on gloss surfaces. Having to longer buffing it you need to make sure there is no dust contamination. Otherwise the plastic trims will get swirl marks.
I applied since day one of ownership and kept the car paint looking as new, this is the positive part.

(7:20 talks Mezena vs Wolfgang).
https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...ant-vs-wolfgang-deep-gloss-paint-sealant.html
Sponsored