Pothole vs Civic Si

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
This has nothing to do with potholes, but this morning the rental had a flat (passenger side front). I pumped it up and took it to a tire shop that specializes in truck tires near my brothers house. As luck would have it, they could not repair it due to where the nail was, plus he showed me how the tire has extensive damage inside the tire due to it being previously driven flat for some distance (not by me). I had him patch it up as best he could, called Enterprise and they advised me to take it to any Firestone tire where they have a fleet account to have the tire changed. Long story short, this tire could have shredded on my way back to NorCal. Not a fun thing to happen at 80mph in the middle of nowhere. A pain in the ass nail may have saved me from bigger troubles

IMG_20190524_081239_01.jpg
When it rains it pours. A week truly to forget! Hope your father gets better and out of hospital:thumbsup:
Sponsored

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm in SoCal right now due to my father being in the hospital. It recently rained here, and the area I was driving through is known for its massive "sinkholes". It's getting dark, a truck decides to cut through to make a left, I changed lanes to avoid it and bang! You could feel it in your body and teeth.

Bad news: the tire is gone, rotor is slightly bent, fender damage, and possible suspension damage.

Good news: insurance is paying for a rental until everything is fixed. But it may be a couple of weeks and I will have to go back to SoCal to pick it up...

IMG_20190523_071101_1.jpg
Noooo ): dang man that sucks. Thank god for insurance!! And your safety

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
My insurance adjuster shot me a quick call, due to the three day weekend and the body shop being extremely busy, he has not been able to properly evaluate the damage. They need to get it on a lift and tear it apart to get a better look. He should be able to get an estimate tomorrow, I might be looking at a week to 2 weeks before my baby is repaired. In the meantime it's sitting in a body shop in Carson, CA, almost 400 miles away :-(

In the meantime time I drove the Camry home. Very impressive car. The 2.5L has enough power for everyday driving, is extremely smooth and quiet, although the 8 speed auto can be annoying as it sometimes gear hunts. For a car it's size and weight, steering is very confident. I would not describe it as a fun car, but a nice car to drive. But don't worry guys, I will be sticking with my Si for the long haul and am anticipating it's repair and return

wickerbill

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2002 Honda S2000
Country flag
That sucks. I hope they can get it fixed quickly for you.

Just curious, how does a pothole damage your fender and bumper?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That sucks. I hope they can get it fixed quickly for you.

Just curious, how does a pothole damage your fender and bumper?
The pothole was pretty deep, it was like hitting a curb. I am assuming it was a combination of the bumper/fender hitting the pothole, also the tire exploded which may have caused some damage as well

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I’ve seen some damage other then rims and tires done to cars when they run into the potholes ( craters) in New York

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ve seen some damage other then rims and tires done to cars when they run into the potholes ( craters) in New York
i try to avoid any road bumps or dips also because of wheel bearings wear or damage

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I

i try to avoid any road bumps or dips also because of wheel bearings wear or damage
That’s true some of these potholes can damage wheel bearings. Since I’ve been in SW Florida I haven’t seen a potholes but in a store parking lots I do notice the speed bumps seams to be a lot larger than the ones in NY and there’s a lot of them

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just got the call today, my car is finally done! Unfortunately it is sitting in Southern California more than 360 miles away. I will be flying out Friday morning (thank God for points!) to pick it up. The damage done by that frickin pothole? New tire, repaired damaged rim, new front struts, fender liner changed and fender damage repaired, front end alignment. I will see the full description of damages when I pick it up and see the invoice.

Last edited:

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just got the call today, my car is finally done! Unfortunately it is sitting in Southern California more than 360 miles away. I will be flying out Friday morning (thank God for points!) to pick it up. The damage done by that frickin pothole? New tire, repaired damaged rim, new front struts, fender liner changed and fender damage repaired, front end alignment. I will see the full description of damages when I pick it up and see the invoice.
I would think and hope more than one tire was replaced. Should be changed in pairs, especially considering the cars mileage

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would think and hope more than one tire was replaced. Should be changed in pairs, especially considering the cars mileage
Unfortunately they are only changing one. I would have to change the other one myself

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Why they are repairing the damaged rim. Can't they put new rim?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why they are repairing the damaged rim. Can't they put new rim?
The damage is only cosmetic, if it had been bent or the damage was extensive they would have replaced it

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I am sorry for your car and the inconveniences it causes. I wish there was nothing serious about the suspension,
What surprises me is that you have this crap on your streets despite your climate.
Here we have them everywhere except on highways and some major roads.
In cities and on small roads, it's hell, you have to slalom to avoid holes. It is understandable with the winters we have.
I wish you to find an SI in good condition and a better chance.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am sorry for your car and the inconveniences it causes. I wish there was nothing serious about the suspension,
What surprises me is that you have this crap on your streets despite your climate.
Here we have them everywhere except on highways and some major roads.
In cities and on small roads, it's hell, you have to slalom to avoid holes. It is understandable with the winters we have.
I wish you to find an SI in good condition and a better chance.
Well the good news is I live in Northern California where the roads are better and not in LA (I was visiting my Dad who was in the hospital). Secondly, my dad lives near an industrial area in an unincorporated part of LA county where there was heavy rains and lots of truck traffic...a bad combo. Thus the giant potholes. Add to that that this was once wetlands, water gets under the roads after every rain. The potholes form faster than they can be fixed, but these are the worst I have ever seen
Sponsored