Potential roof issue

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
During the first 59 days of ownership of my Civic Touring, I noticed that the roof would rumble during the dryer section of my local carwash (A total of 3 car washes). The first time it freaked me out. Although I have never had a car roof sound that way in a carwash, I really didn't think much of it, thinking this was just the way this car was built. Then over the weekend I noticed a small rise in the roofline right where the back center of the sunroof meets the roof. It almost looked like the sunroof wasn't all the way back in place.

Today I took the car in for the TSB for Surge issue and also had them look at the sunroof and roof. They stated that the roof is not right and it sounds like it was not adhered properly to the roof frame structure. They have requested to keep the car another day and have their body shop evaluate it for what would be required to repair it and then call in Honda USA for their input and warranty approval, etc.

Yikes! So how could this be repaired short of cutting off the roof and reattaching it? If this is the extent of the repair, do I really want to keep this car? I guess it's not technically a lemon (at this point) but what are my options? If pushed would this be a significant enough issue / repair that Honda would take this vehicle back for another Civic?

Sigh----
Sponsored

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
I noticed something similar to this on mine. When i was hand drying it the front hood and the roof would like push down almost as if it was made of a rubbery material. I havent notice any noises of anything at highway speeds. I have never nor will probably ever take it through a machine it's just not the way i like to do it. But i will deff keep on eye on this.

OP
OP
goflyakuite

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed something similar to this on mine. When i was hand drying it the front hood and the roof would like push down almost as if it was made of a rubbery material. I havent notice any noises of anything at highway speeds. I have never nor will probably ever take it through a machine it's just not the way i like to do it. But i will deff keep on eye on this.
Yeah I told myself I was going to not obsess about this car and treat it like the daily driver I bought it for.... So I'll keep it clean but that will be via the car wash this time. The weekend car to be purchased next year will get the special treatment! :)

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've also noticed this. I'm still torn whether I think it's for weight-saving or if it was, in fact, cost saving.

If the roof is protruding outward, I'd say that's very much problematic and I'd expect Honda to fix it. The fit and finish on this car is, overall, excellent, but I was pretty disgusted to notice that the moonroof switch area on my Touring is very visibly loose and can literally fall off the ceiling. The dealership said they 'fixed it' and put it back on its clip, but it's still loose.

It's on my laundry list to have the dealer look at when I feel like torturing myself and paying them a visit.

OP
OP
goflyakuite

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've also noticed this. I'm still torn whether I think it's for weight-saving or if it was, in fact, cost saving.

If the roof is protruding outward, I'd say that's very much problematic and I'd expect Honda to fix it. The fit and finish on this car is, overall, excellent, but I was pretty disgusted to notice that the moonroof switch area on my Touring is very visibly loose and can literally fall off the ceiling. The dealership said they 'fixed it' and put it back on its clip, but it's still loose.

It's on my laundry list to have the dealer look at when I feel like torturing myself and paying them a visit.
Yes, so far the dealership has been great to work with. I've enjoyed the car very much to this point.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So yeah I've noticed the hood, and popping the hood it looks like a joke because it deforms for a second. But the roof too? What part did you press on? My curiosity is getting the best of me.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So yeah I've noticed the hood, and popping the hood it looks like a joke because it deforms for a second. But the roof too? What part did you press on? My curiosity is getting the best of me.
In the car wash, it's usually the back quarter of the roof that makes the noise.

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
If you push on the near the middle area it deforms and pops back.

OP
OP
goflyakuite

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The dealership could not get my car into the Body Shop today as hoped. They have scheduled next Thursday for the body shop to assess the issue. They did further adjust the sunroof and said it is improved. The current state is shown in the pic... A bit hard to see with the reflections but the gap is not insignificant.

Honda Civic 10th gen Potential roof issue img_3936-2-

Last edited:
OP
OP
goflyakuite

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The car went back into the dealership today and the Service Advisor just called and said the that roof is misaligned. The sunroof is aligned to the frame but the roof is misaligned and that the body shop would realign it the frame. All expenses would be covered by Honda and the repair if I authorize it would be completed by the end of the business day tomorrow.

roof - re-alignment? Is there such a thing? I inquired by asking what exactly the repair involves. The Service Advisor did not know the details and will consult with the body shop and call me right back.

I can't help like feeling "and so it begins...."

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
My rear door was slightly misaligned, but that's a completely detattched part of the frame - the roof is not. It's odd that they'll be able to fix it in a day...so either the service advisor used wrong terminology and it's something minor, or your frame is bent somehow lol.

Both the roof and hood are very thin on our cars - most likely because governments mandated ridiculous fuel economy numbers, as well as advancements in technology that stupidly thick steel panels are no longer necessary for structural rigidity. I spent yesterday waxing the car and also noticed noticeable flex in both the hood and the roof with minimal force applied.

Good luck to you OP though - keep us posted!

OP
OP
goflyakuite

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The car was back from the body shop and the roof is repaired. I am still waiting for a call back from the body shop to fully understand what was performed in the repair. I saw the estimate back to the dealership and it was only a little $87 bucks in labor, so I don't believe they even had to drop the headliner. It feels like they were able to realign the roof directly through the sunroof opening. They did smudge up the sunshade in spectacular fashion, so much so they will be sending the car to be detailed.

Honda Civic 10th gen Potential roof issue img_3198-jpe

ktmmillz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Yeah I just went through the car wash today with an LX and it made a horrible noise from the roof. It kinda of freaked me out, but everything looks ok. This is my daily drive/work car so I will probably only be taking it through the automatic car wash. But I am kinda freaked out about it. Not sure what to do going forward because it doesn't seem like that can be good for it for the long run.