Potential MPG issue?

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yet in a study BMW did several years ago showed that long slow acceleration to reach the speed limit used more fuel than briskly accelerating up to the speed limit. That does not mean full throttle by the way or even three quarter throttle.
Agreed. There is a sweet spot somewhere between hard acceleration and long slow acceleration.
Sponsored

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Econ mode apparently also does stuff with the A/C. A/C, btw, is why I expect worse mileage come summer. That said, even in winter, I'd say the A/C has been running about 25% of the time I'm driving, which may be why I'm seeing a positive effect from econ mode.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
That said, even in winter, I'd say the A/C has been running about 25% of the time I'm driving, which may be why I'm seeing a positive effect from econ mode.
Interesting thought... Maybe summer will give better Econ results, for those who use A/C all the time. I haven't had to use the A/C at all (except the first few days, when I swear moisture was being worked out of the system, causing instant and total fogging of all windows upon startup). In the winter, with no A/C, the Econ mode has only served to hurt mileage for me, with consistent driving habits between both modes.

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
No a/c on for us. It's been 70s the past week and 60s most of winter. I don't think the summer/winter blend gas makes much of a difference. Our Pilot and old civic makes the same mpg in summer and winter but we're in Cali so it's not really a winter. Only thing we had to do is double check the tire psi. Colder morning weathers seem to drop the psi below 30 so that may affect mpg a little. Did a 80% freeway/ 20% city in about 300 miles I'm only at 33.2mpg. Really disappointing it's still about 20% off from the rated 41mpg. EPA ratings are usually very close to real world. Owned 5 different gen civics and they all meet or exceeding the mpg ratings. I'm at about 1600 miles. I'll give it another thousand or two before heading to Honda. Don't think I can wait until my first oil change. I'm impressed the oil life is currently at 90%.

Angela1256

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL
Country flag
Sadly there is zero controlled testing of this and lots of tester bias built in. Perhaps because I generally give engineers the benefit of doubt, I wonder if at least part of what's going on here is that people unconsciously offset reduced performance in Eco with more aggressive driving to overcome it.
When I was experimenting with the Eco button, I only used it when I would get out of work since I'm done at midnight and I have a little less than a 40miles commute and for 25-30 of those miles I rarely ever have traffic (freeway construction traffic the rest of the way...). Overall with similar conditions, I ended up increasing my MPGs by about 8 when I turned my Econ button off.

Gt1948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Hey everybody,

Not really sure if this is an issue or not, but I figured I'd post and get everybody's thoughts. So I have the 1.5t and am roughly getting between 27-29 (reported by the car, so the real # may be even lower) with mostly city driving. My "city driving" includes driving just outside of Atlanta on I-85 for those looking for specifics. I wouldn't say it's mostly stop and go driving, but it is mostly morning/afternoon commutes during rush hour. The reason I am posting this is because I feel like my MPG is kind of low compared to what I thought I should be getting, roughly at least 31. Now 29 isn't much lower than 31, but I find it weird since 27-29 is with ECON mode on, conservative driving, and no sport mode. I also find it weird since everybody I've seen is just bragging about how good their mileage is. It almost makes me feel like I got a faulty car. I also drove it from Atlanta to Augusta GA (2.5 hr trip) a couple days ago and only got 38mpg with ECON on, no sport mode, and conservative driving. I also did use cruise control for most of the trip just to throw that information out there. Anyway, to reiterate my question(s), has anyone else come across a situation similar? Am I overthinking it? Is there something that may be lowering my MPG that I may not know about? Please lend me your advice. Also, I have over a 1,000 miles on the car already so it should be broken in.

Thank you for everybody's reply in advance.
Honda Civic 10th gen Potential MPG issue? ima

City/hwy

rickkonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan - Rallye Red
When I was experimenting with the Eco button, I only used it when I would get out of work since I'm done at midnight and I have a little less than a 40miles commute and for 25-30 of those miles I rarely ever have traffic (freeway construction traffic the rest of the way...). Overall with similar conditions, I ended up increasing my MPGs by about 8 when I turned my Econ button off.

I have had my Touring for a couple weeks and have put on 1,800 miles averaging 41MPG. 90% HWY with ECON mode on all the time. I use ACC whenever possible. I traded in a 2011 Prius that AVG 46MPG on 205,000 miles. if I AVG 40 MPG on this car I am happy.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
I am hovering around 45mpg average. Just over 2,000 miles on my car.

Everyone who is complaining about low MPG in the city is being way to lead-footed. I accelerate in non-ECON mode with enough throttle to put about 2k on the tach, and let off as soon as I hit the speed limit, and turn on CC. Someone tailgating you because you are going the speed limit? TOO BAD. MPG>some redneck getting 5mpg in his lifted 'compensator' truck.

I get about 35-38mpg around town depending on distance traveled.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Everyone who is complaining about low MPG in the city is being way to lead-footed. I accelerate in non-ECON mode with enough throttle to put about 2k on the tach, and let off as soon as I hit the speed limit, and turn on CC. Someone tailgating you because you are going the speed limit? TOO BAD. MPG>some redneck getting 5mpg in his lifted 'compensator' truck.

Or, stop-and-go traffic lowers your mpg by nature. Even if you just use your brakes, and an ounce of throttle, your mileage is the worst when you aren't moving. The car's small engine+turbo only really *helps* highway mileage, since the turbo doesn't assist very much in low rpm.

rickkonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I love the CC. its helps my MPG. I'm averaging 41.2 on my first 2,400 miles. Do you know if the info system has your total miles/MPG ? I use Fuelly but thought the car kept your total MPG.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love the CC. its helps my MPG. I'm averaging 41.2 on my first 2,400 miles. Do you know if the info system has your total miles/MPG ? I use Fuelly but thought the car kept your total MPG.
I keep trip "B" on the total mileage, with trip "A" being the current tank. Not sure if there is another way to get that info from the car (of course the old fashioned method of calculating how much fuel you've used into your total mileage).

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
AFAIK the car doesn't keep a lifetime mileage. It's kinda useless to use trip A or B to do it, because someday, at some point, you are going to have to replace your battery. When that happens, all your tracked data will be lost. I keep a record of every gallon I put in the car, and my lifetime so far is 41.6 since I bought the car.

Oh also, I would like to note, since getting the update for the surging issue, it seems like ECON mode is turning better MPG than normal now.

rickkonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AFAIK the car doesn't keep a lifetime mileage. It's kinda useless to use trip A or B to do it, because someday, at some point, you are going to have to replace your battery. When that happens, all your tracked data will be lost. I keep a record of every gallon I put in the car, and my lifetime so far is 41.6 since I bought the car.

Oh also, I would like to note, since getting the update for the surging issue, it seems like ECON mode is turning better MPG than normal now.

That is about what I am averaging for the first 3,000 miles. I use Fuelly.com to add up everything for me. Works great. You just text the fill up info in and it keeps track of everything for you.

Hokkabaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HondaCivic/ChryslerCrossfire/LandRoverDII/KiaRio
Went to Austin from San Antonio and came back (about 200miles total) when my 2016 ext had about 800 miles. It was on eco mode, no traffic, about 100F outside temp. And I got 42mpg. Car was acting stupid, lacking power, so I had to actually push the pedal more.
I was telling my gf that I can beat 42mpg if I use my own eco mode:)
Yesterday we did the same trip, same route, no traffic, no eco mode, tempreture is higher than the first trip, about 1200miles on the odometer, and I got 48.7mpg.

Super happy with this mpg! My other 2 rides get 9mpg and 21mpg, both with premium gas. I am living the dream!

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Went to Austin from San Antonio and came back (about 200miles total) when my 2016 ext had about 800 miles. It was on eco mode, no traffic, about 100F outside temp. And I got 42mpg. Car was acting stupid, lacking power, so I had to actually push the pedal more.
I was telling my gf that I can beat 42mpg if I use my own eco mode:)
Yesterday we did the same trip, same route, no traffic, no eco mode, tempreture is higher than the first trip, about 1200miles on the odometer, and I got 48.7mpg.

Super happy with this mpg! My other 2 rides get 9mpg and 21mpg, both with premium gas. I am living the dream!
A/C + Eco mode = big no-no for me in this car. Eco mode already dulls the throttle too much for my liking, add in the strain (however minor) from A/C use and it gets annoying, especially considering highways here aren't flat, they're fairly hilly. And since Eco mode also reduces fan speed, its like a double penalty having it on this time of year.
Sponsored