Potential MPG issue?

bander68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Rallye Red
My usual 31mpg in rush hour improved to 35mpg on a 200 mile trip with the cruise set at 79mph most of the way. On the way home 2 days later, the mileage improved to 39mpg with cruise set once again at mostly 79mph. I imagine if I drove as little slower I could break 40mpg.
Sponsored

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Keep in mind, the fuel mixture changes in regions with cooler climates and the different blend will also effect fuel economy. If you have winter tires on, or your pressures are slightly low, that'll also lower your numbers. Econ mode doesn't do anything you can't do yourself with a bit of careful pedal control, so there's no reason to get different numbers with it on vs off unless you're not changing your driving habits accordingly. I've been getting ~44mpg fairly easily from my highway trips, so it's certainly doable.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Sadly there is zero controlled testing of this and lots of tester bias built in. Perhaps because I generally give engineers the benefit of doubt, I wonder if at least part of what's going on here is that people unconsciously offset reduced performance in Eco with more aggressive driving to overcome it.

(We'll see what happens when ours gets built and makes the journey out here. I will certainly try it in both modes. It may not mean anything. We have about zero real city driving and highway speed is maybe 60 or 65 max and that is very rare. We are getting almost EPA highway here with our CR-V pretty routinely. In 142 tanks in CO, we averaged 22.7 calculated, in 37 tanks here, we are running 27.0 vs. an original advertised EPA H of 28.)
I think you are correct in that people may be trying to offset the reduced performance in Eco mode with more aggressive driving. I get significantly better mileage in Eco mode, but it does try my patience. The acceleration is very slow when starting from a red light, and acceleration on the highway is also very slow. The trick is to operate the gas pedal in the same manner as you do in normal driving mode. Like I said, it does involve some patience. If you are in a hurry or tend to be an aggressive driver, Eco mode may not be as effective.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I am getting similar results to Rival, and it appears we have similar drives and styles. My daily commute is in the Houston area during the early rush both ways. I drive mostly conservatively, but after one tank in Econ mode with lower mileage, I am sticking to normal. I know part of my lower mileage is because when I arrive early I sit in the car idling for a few minutes. I have a trip next week to San Antonio (200 miles away) and planned to drive one way normal and the other way in Econ mode. This will be my first non-rush hour, open road trip. I will be curious if you find a way to increase the regular commute mileage though.
A good test would be to get to cruising speed on a long level stretch of highway, and then reset one of the trip odometers to see what kind of mileage you get. You'd be simulating close to 'ideal' highway driving conditions. You'd be surprised how stop and go driving will negatively affect your mileage.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The computer is correct - hard acceleration uses a lot more gas.
But it does so for less time and distance. Experienced MPG is the integral of this instantaneous MPG over time, so the time spent at any given consumption matters. And MPG is typically lower in lower gears, so getting into the higher gears quicker matters. "Accelerate really slowly" does not necessarily yield best overall fuel economy. I'm with BMW on this one.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I think you are correct in that people may be trying to offset the reduced performance in Eco mode with more aggressive driving. I get significantly better mileage in Eco mode, but it does try my patience.
I disagree, here - at least for myself. I did not use aggressive driving on eco, at all... I was purposely trying to see just how high of mileage I could get. Once I gave up on Eco and turned it off, I started getting better mileage with the same driving habits (the same habits I've driven with for a large number of years).

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think you are correct in that people may be trying to offset the reduced performance in Eco mode with more aggressive driving. I get significantly better mileage in Eco mode, but it does try my patience. The acceleration is very slow when starting from a red light, and acceleration on the highway is also very slow. The trick is to operate the gas pedal in the same manner as you do in normal driving mode. Like I said, it does involve some patience. If you are in a hurry or tend to be an aggressive driver, Eco mode may not be as effective.
I bought the Touring for the 1.5 turbo. I don't hammer it unless necessary entering from on ramp to turnpike or Interstate, but I certainly don't baby it. Averaging 34 to 35 mpg mixed, and 39 highway. I expect better fuel economy come summer.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I disagree, here - at least for myself. I did not use aggressive driving on eco, at all... I was purposely trying to see just how high of mileage I could get. Once I gave up on Eco and turned it off, I started getting better mileage with the same driving habits (the same habits I've driven with for a large number of years).
It sounds like the 'Eco' behaviour is inconsistent. After getting an idea of the real world fuel economy of the car, I stopped displaying that page on the dash. I found I was spending too much time trying to wring out better fuel economy, and not enough time enjoying the car. My previous car was a V6 Accord, so even at its worst, the Civic is using much less gas.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hey everyone thought I'd share what I've noticed with my touring civic. By the way I'm a long time reader of this site but first time poster. Anyways I too noticed significant drop in fuel mileage with normal driving. It drastically improved after I did the battery cable reset after my rpm began stuttering on the highway. I have yet to take it into my dealer but I will once the issue resurfaces as other owners on here have indicated. Nontheless try the battery cable reset and I'm sure the fuel economy will improve.
Hi, can you please elaborate on "THE BATTERY CABLE RESET"?

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
But it does so for less time and distance. Experienced MPG is the integral of this instantaneous MPG over time, so the time spent at any given consumption matters. And MPG is typically lower in lower gears, so getting into the higher gears quicker matters. "Accelerate really slowly" does not necessarily yield best overall fuel economy. I'm with BMW on this one.
Dick does have the backing of math here. While there is a "sweet spot" somewhere in the middle, crunching the numbers shows that accelerating too slowly can be just as bad for efficiency as gunning it off the line.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Dick does have the backing of math here. While there is a "sweet spot" somewhere in the middle, crunching the numbers shows that accelerating too slowly can be just as bad for efficiency as gunning it off the line.
Agreed. I don't think anyone is recommending to 'accelerate really slowly'. But don't underestimate the negative effects of hard acceleration against gas mileage. If you do it enough times, it will take a fair bit of efficient driving to make up for it.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
The computer is correct - hard acceleration uses a lot more gas.
Yet in a study BMW did several years ago showed that long slow acceleration to reach the speed limit used more fuel than briskly accelerating up to the speed limit. That does not mean full throttle by the way or even three quarter throttle.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
I think everyone is also forgetting we are using winter blend fuel right now and winter blend fuel always has a decrease in fuel mileage when compared to summer blend fuel. Imagine how much better our fuel mileage would be if we could get ride of this ethanol blended fuel that hurts mileage as well.

I always see a 2 MPG swing between winter blend fuel and summer blend fuel every year.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I think everyone is also forgetting we are using winter blend fuel right now and winter blend fuel always has a decrease in fuel mileage when compared to summer blend fuel.
Along with colder starts, colder/stiffer tires, more use of the lights and defroster, if weather is bad, slower operation/more idling, and on and on. There are lots of winter effects on fuel economy. Almost none of them positive.
Sponsored