Potential for future upgrades of backup camera?

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I agree completely on the backup cam being awful. yes it's a backup cam an does it's job but it's a little embarrassing having a 2018 car with the camera equivalent of a RAZR flip phone, especially with a screen as large as what's on the EX.

My biggest gripe though has to be the fact that they only put lane watch on one side of the car. I deal with cloverleaf exits and I could use the camera on the driver side way more than the passenger side given the fact that I enter the highway at 30mph bumper to bumper, while the lane next to me appears open, but usually isn't since they're all going 70mph. Why the hell honda decided to add the camera to only one side will forever be beyond me.
Sponsored

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA1 NSX
Country flag
I was really hoping someone would have chimed in with an upgraded camera by now. I just got a 2019 EX coming from a Jetta and that's probably my only gripe, the camera resolution.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
All that discussion with no resolution.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My 2017 Accord’s backup camera was GORGEOUS compared to the garbage camera that Honda put on my new Si.
So I started to look it up myself. The Accord backup cam is $232 and the Si one is $152. So a different part number and more expensive cam probably equates to the better quality. Unfortunately, I don’t have $232 to be a guinea pig and do a DIY/conversion. :(

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA1 NSX
Country flag
All that discussion with no resolution.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My 2017 Accord’s backup camera was GORGEOUS compared to the garbage camera that Honda put on my new Si.
So I started to look it up myself. The Accord backup cam is $232 and the Si one is $152. So a different part number and more expensive cam probably equates to the better quality. Unfortunately, I don’t have $232 to be a guinea pig and do a DIY/conversion. :(
Yeah that's pretty steep for a damn back up camera, but I guess the quality is evident.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I agree completely on the backup cam being awful. yes it's a backup cam an does it's job but it's a little embarrassing having a 2018 car with the camera equivalent of a RAZR flip phone, especially with a screen as large as what's on the EX.

My biggest gripe though has to be the fact that they only put lane watch on one side of the car. I deal with cloverleaf exits and I could use the camera on the driver side way more than the passenger side given the fact that I enter the highway at 30mph bumper to bumper, while the lane next to me appears open, but usually isn't since they're all going 70mph. Why the hell honda decided to add the camera to only one side will forever be beyond me.
The cars built for the UK market have a Camera in the LEFT side mirror .. as the UK cars are RIGHT hand drive.

In theory, one could get one of those and fit it.. then a bit of creative wiring, and a relay to switch the video, and you could achieve what you want. Do not know if they can come pre-painted to your car color.. if that is an issue, you could always WRAP both side mirrors to match.

The point is, like most things, you can have what you want if you can afford it, and want it enough to make the effort to get it.

I wanted a Front View camera on my car, similar to the existing Rear view camera. It was not impossible to achieve, especially when it is made manual operation with a switch. Once again, its basically using the rear view camera system, but switching over to the video from the front camera, and turning on power to the camera, both relay and power controlled by a single switch. Total cost for Front Camera, with parts etc was less than $50, and a few hours (like 1 day) labor to build and install. As an added bonus, I made the switch 3 way .. Front OFF REAR, so one could, if wanted, have the rear view camera on while driving - if nothing more than to see the License plate off the asshole who is climbing up your rear.

Last edited:

Triple_peaz

Brother Taresa
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si sedan, 2016 Honda pilot
Country flag
The cars built for the UK market have a Camera in the LEFT side mirror .. as the UK cars are RIGHT hand drive.

In theory, one could get one of those and fit it.. then a bit of creative wiring, and a relay to switch the video, and you could achieve what you want. Do not know if they can come pre-painted to your car color.. if that is an issue, you could always WRAP both side mirrors to match.

The point is, like most things, you can have what you want if you can afford it, and want it enough to make the effort to get it.

I wanted a Front View camera on my car, similar to the existing Rear view camera. It was not impossible to achieve, especially when it is made manual operation with a switch. Once again, its basically using the rear view camera system, but switching over to the video from the front camera, and turning on power to the camera, both relay and power controlled by a single switch. Total cost for Front Camera, with parts etc was less than $50, and a few hours (like 1 day) labor to build and install. As an added bonus, I made the switch 3 way .. Front OFF REAR, so one could, if wanted, have the rear view camera on while driving - if nothing more than to see the License plate off the asshole who is climbing up your rear.
I was just thinking about having the driver side camera...

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
I had a rental Kia Soul and the camera was waaaay better than my Civic. Clearer, better frame rate.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every single rental car, even the cheaper models from VW, Skoka and Seat had better back up cameras.

Is still nobody here who tried to replace the blurry camera from the Civic with a modern camera with better resolution?

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm just holding out until I replace the car :)

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
DOes anyone know how to remove the backup camera to replace it. Mine seems to be dead.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
Has anyone had any luck with this? im planning on installing an aftermarket radio and one of the issues with the wiring harness seems to be the adaptability with the stock backup camera.

The Axxess XSVI-1731-NAV specifically seems to have some issues with flickering and being stuck to a wide angle with the civic backup camera, from what i read.

Rather than mess with different kinds of wiring harnesses, I'd rather just upgrade the camera to something aftermarket.. with better resolution to boot.

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
Hi Guys
I attempted this upgrade. But couldn't figure it out due to OEM camera wiring diagram. I don't wanna put another wire, I wanna use OEM camera's wiring. So original camera has 6 pins as you can see photo below. New AHD camera has 2 video and 2 power wire. So I'm assuming that those 2 pins either nc or switch for reverse gear.
anyone can help about it?
Honda Civic 10th gen Potential for future upgrades of backup camera? 9A5FCA01-A41B-4D75-A543-2EBB68C2008D
Honda Civic 10th gen Potential for future upgrades of backup camera? 8FCE0D9E-301A-4EBD-91FE-A1C81BB4AB82

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Just an FYI, just traded my 19 Touring Coupe for a 2020 CRV EX-L, miss the LED headlights, DON'T miss the rain-sensing wipers. However, the CRV has the same crappy backup camera as the Civic, virtually useless at night because of pixelation. Now have blind-spot detection instead of the lanewatch, would be nice to have both, but prefer blindspot detection.

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was driving last night and just thinking how utterly useless LaneWatch is at night, all I can see is headlight lens flare. Gonna be more discerning about this stuff on my next car, it drives me nuts.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I was driving last night and just thinking how utterly useless LaneWatch is at night, all I can see is headlight lens flare. Gonna be more discerning about this stuff on my next car, it drives me nuts.
Totally agree, sometimes it's usable, but I far prefer blind-spot detection.
Sponsored