Potential for future upgrades of backup camera?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Hi Guys
I attempted this upgrade. But couldn't figure it out due to OEM camera wiring diagram. I don't wanna put another wire, I wanna use OEM camera's wiring. So original camera has 6 pins as you can see photo below. New AHD camera has 2 video and 2 power wire. So I'm assuming that those 2 pins either nc or switch for reverse gear.
anyone can help about it?
9A5FCA01-A41B-4D75-A543-2EBB68C2008D.jpeg
8FCE0D9E-301A-4EBD-91FE-A1C81BB4AB82.jpeg
Do you have the service manual from the Type-R forum? You should be able to find everything you need there. The six wires are

BIT0 Camera View 0 Select
BIT1 Camera View 1 Select
Camera VCC
GND
Video
Shield Cable Shield

I couldn't find the pin out for that connector, but maybe you can. But you can figure it out by probing the pins with a DMM. You may also need to mux the two videos from your new camera into one.

I'd make sure the head unit can take the new video before I dive too deep into this.

EDIT: I know BIT0 and BIT1 are associated with camera view mode selection, but I do not know their state table. They both could flip state when the other mode is selected or only one could flip state.

Last edited:

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
Do you have the service manual from the Type-R forum? You should be able to find everything you need there. The six wires are

BIT0 Camera View 0 Select
BIT1 Camera View 1 Select
Camera VCC
GND
Video
Shield Cable Shield

I couldn't find the pin out for that connector, but maybe you can. But you can figure it out by probing the pins with a DMM. BIT0 and BIT1 should both flip state when the other camera view is selected. You will also need to mux the two videos from your new camera into one.

I'd make sure the head unit can take the new video before I dive too deep into this.
I also upgraded to android headunit. I'll check that out, let's see what's gonna happen.
I have digital multimeter. 12v is okay but how can i check video signal with meter. I wish I had ossiloscope I could see video signal. I'll try to figure it out, thank you again for your response!
Thanks!!!

Last edited:

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I also upgraded to android headunit. I'll check that out, let's see what's gonna happen.
I have digital multimeter. 12v is okay but how can i check video signal with meter. I wish I had ossiloscope I could see video signal. I'll try to figure it out, thank you again for your response!
Thanks!!!
I don't understand why you need to know which wire is what when you're also upgrading the head unit? If you're wiring this to a new head unit, couldn't you just make the wires function any way you want?

But anyway, I'm not quite sure how to find the video wire. However, I think you could start by trying to find BIT0 and BIT1. So the Civic has 3 camera views and at least two bits are needed to represent 3 states. Which means if you toggle thru all three camera views, then both BIT0 and BIT1 will change state at some point. So basically, if you look at the fake state table I made up below, you see that both bits flip state at some point when you toggle thru all three views. So you probe one wire, toggle thru all three views and if that wire changes state at any point, then you found BIT0 or BIT1. Then repeat to find the other one. 0 is 0V and 1 should be the same voltage as VCC. BIT0 and BIT1 can only toggle between two voltages (0V and VCC). If you found a wire that toggles between more than two voltage, then it's not BIT0 nor BIT1. I would do this to all 6 wires to make sure that there're exactly two wires that flips states to rule out any ambiguities.

This is a fake state table I made up to show a point. It does not necessarily represent the true state table.
Honda Civic 10th gen Potential for future upgrades of backup camera? 1600028663527

Oh ah make sure you do this with the engine off so you don't run over yourself with the car. lol...

Last edited:

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks!!!
I guess another way to find the video wire is to break out all the wires (meaning make 6 wires with pin on one end and socket on the other) and remove one wire at a time.

Last edited:

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't understand why you need to know which wire is what when you're also upgrading the head unit? If you're wiring this to a new head unit, couldn't you just make the wires function any way you want?

But anyway, I'm not quite sure how to find the video wire. However, I think you could start by trying to find BIT0 and BIT1. So the Civic has 3 camera views and at least two bits are needed to represent 3 states. Which means if you toggle thru all three camera views, then both BIT0 and BIT1 will change state at some point. So basically, if you look at the fake state table I made up below, you see that both bits flip state at some point when you toggle thru all three views. So you probe one wire, toggle thru all three views and if that wire changes state at any point, then you found BIT0 or BIT1. Then repeat to find the other one. 0 is 0V and 1 should be the same voltage as VCC. BIT0 and BIT1 can only toggle between two voltages (0V and VCC). If you found a wire that toggles between more than two voltage, then it's not BIT0 nor BIT1. I would do this to all 6 wires to make sure that there're exactly two wires that flips states to rule out any ambiguities.

This is a fake state table I made up to show a point. It does not necessarily represent the true state table.
1600028663527.png

Oh ah make sure you do this with the engine off so you don't kill yourself. lol...
since i got the new 9.1" headunit. Oem camera resolution is real sucks. That's why i'm trying to upgrade it. Company send also new wire for new camera, but i'm trying to use current wiring. When take the OEM camera off, I noticed there are 6 pins. Which is 4 for new camera. I mean I'm acting kind of obsessive ? but I'm not obsessed, just trying to get clear vision on rear camera.
thank you for your help! I'll try it. Let's see.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
since i got the new 9.1" headunit. Oem camera resolution is real sucks. That's why i'm trying to upgrade it. Company send also new wire for new camera, but i'm trying to use current wiring. When take the OEM camera off, I noticed there are 6 pins. Which is 4 for new camera. I mean I'm acting kind of obsessive ? but I'm not obsessed, just trying to get clear vision on rear camera.
thank you for your help! I'll try it. Let's see.
So you can switch between all three camera views with the new head unit using the OEM camera?

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you can switch between all three camera views with the new head unit using the OEM camera?
yes i can still switch. You mean angles right? My bad misunderstood ?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh no, i have only 1 camera I have the Civic Sport. But I know that new headunit has 3 video inputs. So you can add side mirror camera and lane watch camera. I saw a video on youtube the guy added side mirror camera.
i used to have 5" oem headunit. Since the screen size is only 5", oem camera was good with that. Then I got the 9.1", and this screen size not good for oem camera.
No I meant, with the rear camera, can you toggle thru the Normal, Wide, and Top Down views using the new head unit? If you can't do that, then I don't see anyway for you to find BIT0 and BIT1

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No I meant, with the rear camera, can you toggle thru the Normal, Wide, and Top Down views using the new head unit? If you can't do that, then I don't see anyway for you to find BIT0 and BIT1
Yes i can do that. My bad I misunderstood at the first time. When I have time I'll try to do that. Let's see. Thank you for your help again!
I'm thinking
6 pins and 3 different camera angles. Each angles work like switch.
so 2 pins for power. 3 pins for each angles and 1 pin for general video. When I found out the power which is kind of easy. Then I can try to find right wire for right angle with testing them by one by.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm thinking
6 pins and 3 different camera angles. Each angles work like switch.
so 2 pins for power. 3 pins for each angles and 1 pin for general video. When I found out the power which is kind of easy. Then I can try to find right wire for right angle with testing them by one by.
Somehow I don't think you got it. lol...

I think you should find the wires in this order:
  1. GND Wire. This is easy to find because it should be connected to the chassis
  2. Shield wire. This would be connected to the outer shield of the harness. Could be connected to GND but also could be not.
  3. BIT0 and BIT1. The voltage on these two wires should toggle between 0 and some higher voltage or vice versa as you cycle through all three rear camera views.
  4. VCC. I read it could be 8V? https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/a-note-about-back-up-camera-installation.12587/. But be careful, BIT0 and BIT1 could also have the same voltage level as this one.
  5. The remaining wire should measure 0V or around and should be the video wire.
There're not three wires to select the 3 rear camera views. There're only two wires BIT0 and BIT1. The head unit will set the voltages to these two wires according to the rear camera view you selected.

I think the easiest way to explain this is that if you disconnect the rear camera from the harness as you have showed in your pictures and measure the voltages on the connector that is still connected to the head unit, then the only wires that will change voltage as you cycle through all three rear camera views are the BIT0 and BIT1 wires. The video wire being an input should not change voltage at all but I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT: Can you see the following wire colors? I got that from the service manual
TAN BIT0
PNK BIT1
BLK VCC
RED GND
WHT Video
GRY Shield
PUR Shield

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I see some people putting in LED lights in place of the backup lights. Do these give off more light when backing up? Maybe those will help the camera get better light at night.
I think it helps a little. It’s not life changing. I think it just helps light up the area better to see with mirrors a bit better.

I use the mirrors to line myself up on the side where I want, then use the backup camera to make sure I don’t back up to far and hit something.

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Somehow I don't think you got it. lol...

I think you should find the wires in this order:
  1. GND Wire. This is easy to find because it should be connected to the chassis
  2. Shield wire. This would be connected to the outer shield of the harness. Could be connected to GND but also could be not.
  3. BIT0 and BIT1. The voltage on these two wires should toggle between 0 and some higher voltage or vice versa as you cycle through all three rear camera views.
  4. VCC. I read it could be 8V? https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/a-note-about-back-up-camera-installation.12587/. But be careful, BIT0 and BIT1 could also have the same voltage level as this one.
  5. The remaining wire should measure 0V or around and should be the video wire.
There're not three wires to select the 3 rear camera views. There're only two wires BIT0 and BIT1. The head unit will set the voltages to these two wires according to the rear camera view you selected.

I think the easiest way to explain this is that if you disconnect the rear camera from the harness as you have showed in your pictures and measure the voltages on the connector that is still connected to the head unit, then the only wires that will change voltage as you cycle through all three rear camera views are the BIT0 and BIT1 wires. The video wire being an input should not change voltage at all but I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT: Can you see the following wire colors? I got that from the service manual
TAN BIT0
PNK BIT1
BLK VCC
RED GND
WHT Video
GRY Shield
PUR Shield
I'll be able to check it out this coming Wednesday. If I find these colors man It'll be easy.
Yes I thought since there are 3 angles, 3 pins for each angles ??‍♂ Okay got it now, there is only 1 video input. When I check that out Wednesday I'll write the result.
another way that I'm thinking maybe I can take a part the oem camera then see which pins goes where. there should be letters on motherboard right? I mean for voltage, gnd, video.
Anyway first thing i'll do check the wire colors. Then let's see.
Appreciate it for your help! You've been helpful a lot! Thank you ??

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll be able to check it out this coming Wednesday. If I find these colors man It'll be easy.
Yes I thought since there are 3 angles, 3 pins for each angles ??‍♂ Okay got it now, there is only 1 video input. When I check that out Wednesday I'll write the result.
another way that I'm thinking maybe I can take a part the oem camera then see which pins goes where. there should be letters on motherboard right? I mean for voltage, gnd, video.
Anyway first thing i'll do check the wire colors. Then let's see.
Appreciate it for your help! You've been helpful a lot! Thank you ??
Yea there's only one video input to the head unit. The BIT0 and BIT1 wires are digital "switches" that the head unit sets to tell the rear camera which view it needs to send back to the head unit via the video line. For example, when you select "Wide VIew", the head unit might set both BIT0 and BIT1 to 0V and when you select "Normal View", it might set BIT0 to 0V and BIT1 to V_HI etc. The rear camera measures the voltages on the BIT0 and BIT1 wires and the combination of the two voltages tells it which view it needs to send back to the head unit.

Moeqasem

First Name
Mohammad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX 2017
Country flag
I got my self a 2017 civic LX with NO backup reverse camera, I want to install the OEM one can you please assist me if it will be plug and play or do I need a wire harness from the camera to the head unit taking inxto consideration that I have the 5' Inch regular screen not touch one (If YES) please advise the parts numbers and if you have an installation catalog.

albertohflores

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 2017
I got my self a 2017 civic LX with NO backup reverse camera, I want to install the OEM one can you please assist me if it will be plug and play or do I need a wire harness from the camera to the head unit taking inxto consideration that I have the 5' Inch regular screen not touch one (If YES) please advise the parts numbers and if you have an installation catalog.
I am in the same situation, I just got a 2017 civic with the 5" inch Head unit and no backup reverse camera.

I been reading and searching but I haven't found if it is possible to add a backup camera to a stock 5" inch Head unit.

Most likely you will need to buy a camera and wire the car from the back all the way to the Head unit, and depending if you want it to work only in reverse or all the time, there are different ways to wire the camera, either to the reverse light (works only when in reverse) or to the ACC (camera on all the time).

I been wondering if it is possible to just change the LG screen on the OEM 5" inch head unit without changing the complete HU, and just plug the 2 connectors that run from the Screen to the HU.

Could be a cheaper way to have the nicer and bigger LG screen, but I don't know if it is possible to input the backup reverse camera to the 5" OEM HU.

If someone knows please let me know, it would be of a lot of help.

Thanks!
Sponsored