Potential Buyer: Civic Si Concerns after Reading Through Posts

CptNut

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 LX Accord 6MT | 2016 EX Odyssey (Wife's)
I've been reading through the posts here because I'm considering the purchase of a 2018 Civic Si.

I currently own a 2014 LX Accord 6MT and a 2016 EX Odyssey. I'm very happy with the Infotainment center in the 2014 LX Accord and the 2016 EX Odyssey isn't bad. Can someone explain to me how the 2017-18 Civic Si Infotainment performance/options compare to the two Honda's I currently own?

The Speedo/Tach configuration in the Accord and Odyssey isn't bad. The Civic Si appears to not have any analog gauge for the speed or tach? Its all digital now?

I've seen several posts talking about a "weak" clutch. My Daily driver since 2002 has been a manual transmission. Yes, I did burn up the clutch on the BMW 330Ci by 60k miles because that was the vehicle I learned how to drive a stick with. Is this what's happening with the 2018? For example: New drivers riding the clutch and burning them up or are there legitimate reports of clutches slipping from veteran stick operators? I would definitely consider a Hondata or Ktuner tune in the future while the car is under warranty.

This question would be answered by taking a test drive but I hate getting bugged by salespeople while I'm still researching so I'm asking you all for help. With the 2.4L in the accord I can comfortably cruise at 35mph in 6 gear with the RPM's barely above 1k. I realize the Civic Si is a much smaller engine than the accord but what speeds (RPM/MPH) can you reasonably cruise in 6th gear before the engine starts to "lug"?

Thanks in Advance for your help.
Brian
Sponsored

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a group down here with over 25+ Civics of all kinds, SI, 6 speed EX, Hatchback Sports, etc.
None of them have experience transmission issues, these are people who have driven manual cars before.
It seems to me like the clutch issues are due to poor driving or engine modification.

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
Clutch problems are for people who modified their cars. It holds fine at stock power. Just go easy on it for the first 1k miles or so and you will be fine.

If you plan on doing heavy mods you will have to purchase a new clutch eventually.

The infotainment is fine, people just don't like that it doesn't have a volume knob. It works great with Android auto for me like 95% of the time. The new unit on the Accord and Odyssey are faster, but ours is good enough for me. I was looking at the sports hatch before and that thing was terrible.

In the book it says you can switch to 5th at 42 and 6th at 47 which is around where i switch for City driving super tame. But make sure you downshift if you want to speed up, it is bad for your car to push it with the rpms that low, even worse for a turbo car that will spool up boost when you should have downshifted.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah the clutch is fine if stock. If you tune and modify you may get clutch slippage and you would need to change it sooner than if the car is kept stock. But then again some people are tuned and have no problems. Guess it really depends.
For most clutch problems on a stock Si it was mainly if not all people that were learning or did not know how to drive properly.
35mph in 6th on the Si is really low speed for 6th, I'm pretty sure you'll be lugging the engine like that in the Si. Plus like mentioned above if you need to speed up downshift as it's bad for the turbo

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
10k on my 2018 si. i put in ktuner at 6k.(19.5/23)
i am a 20yr veteran of spirited driving. street abuse and the occasional autocross.
with ktuner's 23psi in sport mode i have not felt any clutch fade.
i have read that if you know what you are doing you will not see clutch slipage under 280ish tq as long as you give it plenty of time to seat.

by the way: only saw a loss of 0.1L/100km fuel mileage after ktuner.(once my normal driving habits returned)

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
The Infotainment is a little sluggish but it does work ok..I have an android phone and I only hook it up via Bluetooth, I never plug it in and connect via Android Auto. Bluetooth works great for playing music thru my phone and hands-free calls. I don't mind the missing volume knob at all as it's easy to adjust with the steering wheel controls.

Head-unit also has weak sound output, installing one of those Clarion or Alpine mini amps is an inexpensive way to get the stereo sounding 5X better for little money.
1. Install mini amp - Great!
2. 1+ replace awful stock sub - Greater!
3. 1+2+ replace subpar stock speakers and tweeters - Fantastic!!!

OP
OP
CptNut

CptNut

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow you all are awesome! Never expected so many responses so quickly. :thumbsup: I feel you have squashed my concerns about the clutch.

Sounds like I won't be using 6th gear much on my work commute since there are only 2 roads where the speed limit is 45mph. I remember with my 06 STI it would lug the engine something terrible if I used 6th gear in town.

Right now I average about 29 to 33mpg during my work commute in the 14 Accord 6MT and I think I'd still be close to those numbers with the Si. For comparison the 330Ci was around 18 to 20mpg and the STI was 15 to 18mpg. :cry:

For the Infotainment Center on the Accord I use the steering wheel controls 95% of the time so not having a volume knob isn't a big deal. I've never had a "glitch" with it playing MP3's off a USB stick or connecting to my iPhone for phone calls or to listening to podcasts. I would be a little annoyed if the Si unit isn't as reliable. I know in my wife's 16 Odyssey, the unit will occasionally lose "connection" to the USB stick for playing MP3's but it only happens maybe 1 time a month on average so not terrible.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gf has an accord sport. It doesn’t have Apple car play like the Si but it does have knobs for the radio and buttons for the ac/heat. The infotainment system also has a knob to scroll the selections and you push in to select things. I much prefer that to the all touch screen system in the Si. I’d say the si’s is dangerous as every time I adjust the climate control or switch things in the sound, I find myself leaving my lane. I strongly believe this will be changed at the mid cycle refresh or next generation. The instrument panel is top-notch imo. It’s configurable and what you need to see and monitor is all there easily read.

What you really get w the Si, a Si in general, is a very good suspension, a LSD, seats for corners, a nice 6 speed, and an overall sporty driving experience. In sedan form, I think you’d like it if you’re looking for a sedan but w an edge and sporty driving experience.

Apple car play is great and works flawlessly. Biggest thing is when switching from it to say, xm, fm, etc., the screen doesn’t switch w it and has to be done manually. This is my biggest gripe w this car.

I do have the front bumper issue but none of the others. Anyway, if infotainment is a top priority, I don’t think you’d be happy w this car. If the driving experience is, and you love Honda’s, you’ll love this car.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The clutch delay valve (search the forum for several threads about taking it out) is the only "problem" with the stock clutch without respect to mods. It makes the lower gears very awkward to go through. I had mine removed alongside the installation of PRL's clutch line, and it's so much better now.

OP
OP
CptNut

CptNut

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gf has an accord sport. It doesn’t have Apple car play like the Si but it does have knobs for the radio and buttons for the ac/heat. The infotainment system also has a knob to scroll the selections and you push in to select things. I much prefer that to the all touch screen system in the Si. I’d say the si’s is dangerous as every time I adjust the climate control or switch things in the sound, I find myself leaving my lane. I strongly believe this will be changed at the mid cycle refresh or next generation. The instrument panel is top-notch imo. It’s configurable and what you need to see and monitor is all there easily read.
Anyway, if infotainment is a top priority, I don’t think you’d be happy w this car. If the driving experience is, and you love Honda’s, you’ll love this car.
The touch screen was something I was very concerned about with the 16 EX Odyssey before I bought it, but didn't bother me as much as I thought it would after I drove it for a few months. I do agree it takes longer to change the AC or certain radio functions since I can't do it by "feel" like I can with the buttons on my Accord. Appreciate the feedback!

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
the stock clutch is kinda shitty. weak, vague, not the best.

the main issue ive had with my si has been 2nd gear grind. happened twice just recently at ~6300 rpm shifts. I have about 5k miles on it.
it was a very similar grind to my 8th and 9th gen si's. felt like it was going into gear but just grinded.

never had trans issues with my 00 si, my 99 gsr, 04 rsx, etc. ill be taking it to the dealer if it persists.

also the infotainment system is slow and sux dix. its not very responsive to touches and takes forever to load up when the car starts. not having knobs and buttons for the AC is a major pain in the ass especially when its 90 degrees outside and you first get into the car. it takes forever for the shit to load to turn the air on and the blowers up

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Opinions are going to be all over the place but I'll add mine all the same.

I have only 1 transmission issue on my 17 si coupe but it's minor. The issue is when in 2nd gear coming to a stop...when coming out of second to go into nuetral the stick catches on the right side of the gate and won't go into nuetral. Instead I have to physically push it towards the driver a bit and then it goes into nuetral. I almost seldomly notice it but that could be because I have learned to work around it.

My clutch is holding fine on the ktuner 19.5/23 map but I have reflashed to the ktuner 19.5/21 to extend life a bit (hopefully).

Infotainment is fine for me. I've found that if I wait till the unit boots up before connecting my phone all is well. If I connect my phone before it's done booting, it mostly works but sometimes doesn't.

I wouldn't even be in 4th gear at 35 let alone 6th but then again I enjoying the rowing. I would try to go 6th (or even 5th) in the city. The gas mileage is pretty great just normal driving. I can get in the 40s on the highway.

As for the rest of the car...it's fantastic.

babinjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
I've been reading through the posts here because I'm considering the purchase of a 2018 Civic Si.

I currently own a 2014 LX Accord 6MT and a 2016 EX Odyssey. I'm very happy with the Infotainment center in the 2014 LX Accord and the 2016 EX Odyssey isn't bad. Can someone explain to me how the 2017-18 Civic Si Infotainment performance/options compare to the two Honda's I currently own?

The Speedo/Tach configuration in the Accord and Odyssey isn't bad. The Civic Si appears to not have any analog gauge for the speed or tach? Its all digital now?

I've seen several posts talking about a "weak" clutch. My Daily driver since 2002 has been a manual transmission. Yes, I did burn up the clutch on the BMW 330Ci by 60k miles because that was the vehicle I learned how to drive a stick with. Is this what's happening with the 2018? For example: New drivers riding the clutch and burning them up or are there legitimate reports of clutches slipping from veteran stick operators? I would definitely consider a Hondata or Ktuner tune in the future while the car is under warranty.

This question would be answered by taking a test drive but I hate getting bugged by salespeople while I'm still researching so I'm asking you all for help. With the 2.4L in the accord I can comfortably cruise at 35mph in 6 gear with the RPM's barely above 1k. I realize the Civic Si is a much smaller engine than the accord but what speeds (RPM/MPH) can you reasonably cruise in 6th gear before the engine starts to "lug"?

Thanks in Advance for your help.
Brian
I love my Si, I have some gripes but what car is perfect. The clutch is vague but once you learn the engagement point it is fine. I wish it had more resistance but almost all clutches are similar in 4 cylinder engines/transmission combinations. Yes I wish it had a volume knob and traditional a/c controls but I just leave in auto and turn the temp down to increase fan speed in hot southern Louisiana. I never have used the touch screen to control a/c once in a month and half, so no big deal to me.

All the small gripes are gone every time I find a fun little twisty road, I get a big smile on my face and have fun. The car just brings a smile to your face and for less than 25k you can’t beat its performance to cost ratio. Just my 2 cents.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Its all digital now?
Yes, except for the coolant temp. and fuel gauges, AFAIK.

It sounds like you might be playing around in a dangerous zone, very close to lugging and you probably are lugging it at times, e.g. when you get on a slight uphill as you're cruising.
Why walk such a "thin line" as 35 MPH in 6th, anyway? At that speed I'd say don't go above the 4th, whether in the Si or in your Accord. To each their own of course, but... Why not just downshift -- and breathe easier? :)

Right now I average about 29 to 33mpg during my work commute in the 14 Accord 6MT and I think I'd still be close to those numbers with the Si.
You'll likely beat those numbers by a noticeable margin. I'm constantly impressed with the MPG in this car, esp. given how I drive it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Sponsored